Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'd like to hear more about the trade-in vehicle for the OP's transaction. Something seems shady...
The OP already explained it. The car was in an accident and had minor damage. But the CarFax said it had structural damage repair. The dealer did not check the CarFax before making the offer on the trade-in and closing the transaction on the new car with trade-in. Dealer now wants to reverse the transaction because they did not know CarFax was reporting structure damage repair. The consumer had the receipts for the repair, showing no structural damage (contrary to what CarFax said).

It is up to the dealer to inspect and research the car before they make an offer. A consumer (who is not in the business of selling cars) is not obligated to say anything about the trade-in, except that they must answer truthfully in response to any questions asked about it. Therefore, I am not sure what information about the car you are looking for?

·
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
9 Posts
I am very disturbed by your post. If the facts are correct, it is reprehensible the way you have been treated by a dealership. For anyone to be able to give you clear advice, they would need to read your contract and also interview the dealership for its position. I am certain there are facts missing here. Of course, you could go to an attorney for a cost ; however, as the dad of a daughter your guys' age, the advice I would give to her would be before contacting an attorney, and paying for the assistance as no attorney would accept your issue on a contingency basis, go to the media via a TV consumer help line. Nothing bothers a dealership more then wide-spread negative media attention. Then, if they do not accept your issue and contact the dealer on your behalf, go to the State Attorney General and file a complaint. I think someone mentioned you live in Arizona - not knowing where, here is an example of the TV help services I mention: ABC 15 Arizona "Let Joe Know" ; 'Channel 3 On My Side ([email protected] or azfamily.com) If those don't cover your area, find one that does. Please do not accept the way you've been treated. Reach out for help. The volunteers at these places will gather your documents, talk with you, talk with the dealer and you'll either find out exactly what has happened or your issue will be resolved where you get your car back if possible. This is exactly the juicy story TV consumer reporters love if the facts you present are spot-on. Good luck. Let us know how this all works out. I'm rooting for you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely go to your DA and the AG for your state with your story. They may have broken more than just a contract -- could be consumer protection laws in your jurisdiction. Good hunting -- they don't deserve softness.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's probably why i have never owned one of there tin cans, i would tell them that i own a Enola Gay Boeing B-29 Super fortress bomber and i will be buzzing over as soon as i get back to my landing strip. now that sounds atomic ......even if they would make it right i certainly would not trust them or go through with the deal. maybe the vending machine car dealers will be the answer? Good luck!

·
straight cash homie
18,942 Posts
The gas mileage differences though.... might as well ask for an Avalon.
Land Cruisers are way more valuable than Avalons. They won't depreciate as much, and SUVs aren't falling out of favor with buyers. But of course, a dealer would rather give up an Avy over any Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,115 Posts
Land Cruisers are way more valuable than Avalons. They won't depreciate as much, and SUVs aren't falling out of favor with buyers. But of course, a dealer would rather give up an Avy over any Land Cruiser.
Then the gas prices rise... :cry:

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
81 Posts
The dealer made quite a few mistakes, not seeing the trade at the deal signing, and somehow not running a Carfax at that time. Makes me think he saw a very good deal for them ? He later saw the car a day or two later and checked the Car fax. And found it noted with structural damage and realized he lost a lot of money on the deal, even if it goes to a wholesaler. Structural damage on a Carfax is a tough sell for most dealers to resell if disclosed!. My first call would be to the lender hopefully its with Toyota Financial to see the status of the loan and if it is was declined, and for what reason? As long as all the VIN numbers on the contract are correct you did nothing wrong. The dealer screwed themselves for once! Just remember the other dealer offered 13,000 on the trade I assume they ran the Carfax is it worth the fight for another 2000 dollars over the life of the loan? The aggravation,the phone calls, the lawyer fees. and the lies that will be told by the dealer? If so go get um.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The dealer made quite a few mistakes, not seeing the trade at the deal signing, and somehow not running a Carfax at that time. Makes me think he saw a very good deal for them ? He later saw the car a day or two later and checked the Car fax. And found it noted with structural damage and realized he lost a lot of money on the deal, even if it goes to a wholesaler. Structural damage on a Carfax is a tough sell for most dealers to resell if disclosed!. My first call would be to the lender hopefully its with Toyota Financial to see the status of the loan and if it is was declined, and for what reason? As long as all the VIN numbers on the contract are correct you did nothing wrong. The dealer screwed themselves for once! Just remember the other dealer offered 13,000 on the trade I assume they ran the Carfax is it worth the fight for another 2000 dollars over the life of the loan? The aggravation,the phone calls, the lawyer fees. and the lies that will be told by the dealer? If so go get um.
We did plan on just moving on from the situation and go with one of the other dealerships for the new car. When we went and started talking numbers, they were trying to pull up the information on our trade and could not find anything. After deeper research, we were told that the 2019 loan is under our name and active, also, that the 2017 trade no longer belongs to us so we have nothing to trade in and we are driving a car that is not ours. They recommended I fix the issue with Right Toyota before applying for another loan on a new car.

The loan is through Toyota Financial. I have already contacted them and we were approved for the 2019 camry and payments will be due starting October 9th. Also, the 2017 camry (the one they gave back and we are currently driving) has been paid off and the title has been sent to the dealer. I asked if there was anyway the dealership could reverse the contract without our authorization and they said no unless a new contract with the changes was signed by both parties. We did not sign another contract besides our original.

·
South of the north pole
114 Posts
We did plan on just moving on from the situation and go with one of the other dealerships for the new car. When we went and started talking numbers, they were trying to pull up the information on our trade and could not find anything. After deeper research, we were told that the 2019 loan is under our name and active, also, that the 2017 trade no longer belongs to us so we have nothing to trade in and we are driving a car that is not ours. They recommended I fix the issue with Right Toyota before applying for another loan on a new car.

The loan is through Toyota Financial. I have already contacted them and we were approved for the 2019 camry and payments will be due starting October 9th. Also, the 2017 camry (the one they gave back and we are currently driving) has been paid off and the title has been sent to the dealer. I asked if there was anyway the dealership could reverse the contract without our authorization and they said no unless a new contract with the changes was signed by both parties. We did not sign another contract besides our original.
At this point, it is possible that the 2017 Camry is not registered and/or insured. You can't "legally" drive it. I would call the GM / Principal owner of the dealership and explain that you have done your research, you have a contract and they have possibly seized your property illegally (be careful with your words here). Tell them you are coming over to drop off their legal property that they "lent" you in the process off trying to inappropriately repossess yours and you are coming to pick YOUR CAR. If they don't surrender YOUR CAR, you will call your lawyer to start breach of contract claim as well as have them (the lawyer) approach the authorities to start attempt to defraud, and theft of property investigation. Be calm, matter of fact, and most of all confident without being cocky. This should get their undivided attention quick. Beside, it's probably cheaper for you to approach a lawyer and write this out on their letterhead, just to get the ball rolling in your favor when you go the dealer to drop off their car, and pick up yours.

·
Registered
517 Posts
At this point, it is possible that the 2017 Camry is not registered and/or insured. You can't "legally" drive it. I would call the GM / Principal owner of the dealership and explain that you have done your research, you have a contract and they have possibly seized your property illegally (be careful with your words here). Tell them you are coming over to drop off their legal property that they "lent" you in the process off trying to inappropriately repossess yours and you are coming to pick YOUR CAR. If they don't surrender YOUR CAR, you will call your lawyer to start breach of contract claim as well as have them (the lawyer) approach the authorities to start attempt to defraud, and theft of property investigation. Be calm, matter of fact, and most of all confident without being cocky. This should get their undivided attention quick. Beside, it's probably cheaper for you to approach a lawyer and write this out on their letterhead, just to get the ball rolling in your favor when you go the dealer to drop off their car, and pick up yours.
This. Very well written!

Absolutely pay a lawyer to write down the letter. He/She’ll also appropriately check all the facts before writing and signing that letter. That letter will have more leverage than any word coming out your mouth going in. Stop driving the 2017 right away. If needed, rent a car and be sure to include that expense in your claim prepared by the lawyer.

If you take back your 2019 Camry check the VIN and its condition in detail ( I would contract a third party inspector to do this and make them pay for the inspection and any DAMAGE incurred to the property while seized from you). Also check the ODO as you never gave them the permission to USE your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Camry LE 19
139 Posts
I`m appalled how these dealerships can trick you into their sneaky games. I hope they get a big lawsuit that shake all other dealerships try to trick people across the board.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like they gambled on a sight unseen appraisal and FUBAR'd. I am concerned though that you are now driving your 2017 which you technically dont own and not insured(?) as you signed over to dealer and the car you DO own the 2019 is not in your possession and covered by insurance(?) and subject to who knows what perils it can experience on the lot.

I would encourage you not to detail too many specifics on this forum which could adversely impact your case.I think you need to take this offline from forums and not discuss your strategy on the forum and act on some of the advice you received on here and keep us updated when appropriate on your progress.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
81 Posts
It is hard to believe. How some dealers have become to make maximum profits. That they can take a chance like this and expose themselves to such negative publicity, over a few thousand dollars. At this point you have to start a legal suit just to get things started Don`t be surprised when they say you canceled the deal returned the car and took back your trade and the paperwork has not been reversed yet or some B.S. clerical error happened! Or they ask for additional funds. There was a reason they wanted the car back in a hurry. 3 day 5 day 7 day good faith or what ever it is called. It sounds like there obligated to commit to the deal, but there maybe a loop hole there counting on? You could try to contact the owner of the dealership and see what he wants to do to make things right. Call back Toyota Financial and insist The owner return your phone call and is aware of the situation.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts