Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 4 dr 4X4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody out there tell me definitively if the engine on a 1999 XLS will self-destruct if the timing belt lets go? Gates chart says it is an interference engine; I read somewhere else that a broken timing belt just means a tow and a new belt. Which is true? Thanks HAOLE

·
Registered
635 Posts
This is a frequently discussed and debated question. Here is my understanding: The 3.0 V6 with VVTi is interference whereas the standard 3.0 V6 without VVTi is NOT interference.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,603 Posts
This is a frequently discussed and debated question. Here is my understanding: The 3.0 V6 with VVTi is interference whereas the standard 3.0 V6 without VVTi is NOT interference.
That would explain why Gates shows different answers for different vehicles with 1MZFE for the same year.

·
2,701 Posts
As long as I've been with Toyota I've been told that the only interference engine that Toyota has that uses a t-belt is the 3.3L 3MZ-FE that was used on the Siennas, Highlanders, Solaras and Camry SEs.

The general rule for Toyota (with the exception of the 3.3L) is if it's a belt its Non-interference. If it's a chain, it's interference.

Reactions: Jagalag

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 3.0 V6 with VVT - I And was told by Toyota sevice center it is a
non interference engine and that's what I am going with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts