Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get free used synthetic oil from where I work and I was thinking of using it in my 90 dx.
The oil is mobil 1 10/30 and only has 3000 miles on it and comes from the official city cars; most of the time it is still amber and looks like new. They guys here at the shop use the stuff in their cars because they say it is still good for another 4000-6000 miles.
The city insists on overkill for maintaining their cars.
Would you do this?

my motor has only 500 miles on it since rebuild.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
:hammer: :confused: :disappoin
If you don't care about your car, sell it.
Will you use someone else unwashed underwear?

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
buy new oil man. that used oil have crap from the other cars, like small metal shaving and crap that you can't see. new oil should like $2.

·
Registered
304 Posts
you are better off using 2 bucks to buy a liter of regular oil ..... I don't think used synethic can be better than brand new oil........

I mean, would you dump out good stuff and give it out for free?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Would you trust a used condom with your lady???

·
Registered
164 Posts
lol...you guys are great

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know how you can use that used oil : you can spray it under your car into your suspensions to avoid rust.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
naah, oil wont work as undercoating. I'll just drip out and collect crap. Undercoatings and rustproofings are totally different.

(not to mention gross pollution of any place where your car goes)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys and gals don't give any real reasons why NOT to use this quality oil.
Comparing synthetic oil to used underwear or condoms makes for funny and entertaining reading; but has no basis in reality of the subject matter.
I forgot to say that the oil analysis reports we send out on each vehicle recommend much, much longer cycles of oil service. The only reason the city wants the oil changed at these intervals; is the fact they want every vehicle saftey inspected at 3000 intervals. While in the shop; do a service, whether the car needs it or not. Plain and simple.
At $5.00 a quart (U.S.) I like the idea of "free".:lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Seriously a quart here is like 2 something. Why put questionable used oil in your car????You have a fresh motor USE NEW OIL..Either way it's up to you.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
You got the answer already.
mr.kenny said:
The only reason the city wants the oil changed at these intervals; is the fact they want every vehicle saftey inspected at 3000 intervals.
There is still crap in the oil. Analysis say its "safe" to use doesn't mean its clean. Also there are detergent in oil that got used up. Then who know what else they dump into the oil tank.

Oh well if you think its good, go ahead and use it.
My opinion stands.

·
Registered
103 Posts
kenny why are you going to ask peoples opinions then debate their responses if youre going to do that then dont post the question because your mind is already made up!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
i have an idea.

go ahead. do it. tell us how it affects your motor's performance.

those of us who have common sense will be amused if you mess up your motor.

if you get lucky and don't damage your motor from doing that, then yay for you. those of us who know better will steer clear from such a foolish idea.

but then again, it's your call...and in the end, it's your money. just keep something in mind: buy cheap buy twice.

·
BigWilly ;)
2001 Toyota Corolla
431 Posts
I believe that you;d be better off buying FRESH oil.. .. you are free to try using the other used oil.. but ultimately it's your engine.. and if it gets screwed up, it's your fault.. don't say we didn't warn you, cause we did.. but tell us how it works out for you.. sounds quite interesting :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.