Toyota Nation Forum banner

is it a good idea to use 12-point 1/2'' sockets around engine?

12K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr.Nutcase 
#1 ·
recently was looking for any cheap and working 1/2'' metric socket set and noticed that all I found (shallow, not deep wall) are 12-point sockets, so I picked up this from local HFT:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-piece-high-visibility-12-drive-metric-socket-set-67988.html

$29.99
Description of Pittsburgh 67988
High visibility markings for easier, faster socket selection. Comes with ratchet driver, 14" breaker bar and 5" extension.

• Triple chrome plated
  • Rugged chrome vanadium construction
  • ANSI certified
Sizes: 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 22mm, 23mm, 24mm, 25mm, 26mm, 27mm and 28mm Drive: 1/2" Points: 12
The brand is Pittsburgh Pro.

Last time I was doing 5s-fe timing job I could barely do that with 3/8'' socket set and with cascaded (daisy chained) combo wrenches. cannot imagine doing it again without 1/2'' ratchet (longer) and shallow sockets (also longer than 3/8'' ones).

thanks for opinions.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've always used 12-point sockets on engine work. 90% of my set are 12 point, just because. I'm curious to see if anyone says this is bad.

Reactions: fenixus
#3 ·
12 point sockets are fine for low torque/small bolts, but not good enough for the higher torque requirements of larger bolts. If I had a choice between a set of 12 point or 6 point, Id take the 6 point every time.

#4 ·
thanks, exactly my point. I tried but couldn't find 6-points sockets in shallow version. only deep walls are 6-point. I prefer 6pt actually, no risk of rounding at higher torques, IMO.

anyways, seems I will be fine with 12pt set. I only need to buy a single 15mm one (Monroe strut mounts) and it should be good :thumbsup:

hoping it fits the purpose around 5s-fe engine timing and power steering area.

#5 · (Edited)
I would stay away from the 12 pt sockets.
Only use them when need, ie headbolts on Tercels, Corolla, or the 12mm Ford driveshaft bolts, or like honda uses 12pt in their engines/clutches
more info in from http://www.garagejournal.com/
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34696
AGREED. Six point is the way to go. Use 6 point on a 6 point bolt, and a 12 point socket on a 12 point bolt.

Otherwise, you get a 12 point socket on a 6 point head and when you go to really put some torque on something, the socket slides off, you slip and smash your finger on something hard and get a blood blister under your nail, requiring you to drill the nail to let the pressure off, meanwhile screaming like a 6 year old girl....

( Don't ask! )

I think I can count on one hand the number of 12 point sockets that I have. 3/8" deep by 3/8" drive for the TH-400s center support bolt is just one of the few, and the only one that I can think of right now.

Adam

#6 · (Edited)
I would stay away from the 12 pt sockets.
Only use them when need, ie headbolts on Tercels, Corolla, or the 12mm Ford driveshaft bolts, or like honda uses 12pt in their engines/clutches
more info in from http://www.garagejournal.com/
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34696
thanks for your opinion.

I will keep them anyways and see how it works for me.

for high torque stuff I have a set of 1/2'' metric deep wall impact sockets (6-point of course), but I need shallow sockets too and for some reason it's almost impossible to find an inexpensive (or actually any) 6-point socket set with shallow design.

#7 ·
That's a versatile set (I have an earlier version with rubber cushion breaker bar handle), but now comes with a slightly shorter 14" breaker bar. It's also missing a 21mm for the lug nuts. Just pick from HF's individual socket rack. I think it's $1.99 each for the standard size ones, $2.99 for deep sockets.

The 6-point is supposed to have more contact area and less of a chance to round the bolt head. The sides of the 6-point socket are actually not flat but curved to allow for higher torque application. But IME I prefer the 12-point because it's easier in tight places.

I use 1/2" more often than the 3/8" (only when I need more clearance). I'd say go for it. Wait for a sale or get a 20% off coupon that shows up in AAA or car magazines.

recently was looking for any cheap and working 1/2'' metric socket set and noticed that all I found (shallow, not deep wall) are 12-point sockets, so I picked up this from local HFT:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-piece-high-visibility-12-drive-metric-socket-set-67988.html

$29.99
Description of Pittsburgh 67988
High visibility markings for easier, faster socket selection. Comes with ratchet driver, 14" breaker bar and 5" extension.

• Triple chrome plated
  • Rugged chrome vanadium construction
  • ANSI certified
Sizes: 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 22mm, 23mm, 24mm, 25mm, 26mm, 27mm and 28mm Drive: 1/2" Points: 12
The brand is Pittsburgh Pro.

Last time I was doing 5s-fe timing job I could barely do that with 3/8'' socket set and with cascaded (daisy chained) combo wrenches. cannot imagine doing it again without 1/2'' ratchet (longer) and shallow sockets (also longer than 3/8'' ones).

thanks for opinions.

#9 · (Edited)
thanks JohnGD :)

I actually bought them already yesterday hehe :lol:
though I made a decision to pick it up while being there so I paid regular $29.99 price :facepalm: ... probably the only item I bought from them at full price haha :lol:

for lug nuts I use the deep wall socket from the other set I linked (I have those too since a long time).
since strut mounts have protruding studs (even longer in rears) I think I will just keep using the deep wall 15mm socket on those bolts. I was in need of having 1/2'' ratchet and shallow sockets for it.

planning to tighten the p/s belt on wife's 5s-fe this Sunday ... and not really eager to do that with daisy chained combo wrenches ;)
maybe this time I will be able to tighten it at 100lbs finally instead of 60lbs :facepalm:

#10 ·
IMHO, it's not a huge diff. Like JohnGD said, the 12 pnt are nicer in tight places because they go onto the hex nut/bolt easier. On the other hand, the 6 pnt style are less apt to round off the hex on a stubborn fastener.

I have some of each in my toolbox, and I pay no attention at all to what I first grab. *IF* I start having trouble loosening a rusty stuck bolt, I switch to a 6 pointer if I've got one.

#12 ·
I prefer using the 6 point sockets unless the swing space is limited. But the ratchet usually has many more "points" if you will. Some ratchets have up to 70 teeth, more common 50-60 so if space is tight, I put the socket on the nut and then turn the ratchet to engage the socket. But sometimes it is easier to get the 12 point socket in tight places. Which is why I have both 6 and 12 point socket sets. :D

I'm not sure why Harbor Freight doesn't have regular depth 6 point sockets, go figure.

#13 ·
cool man, you seem to have every possible socket (among smaller sizes) out there :D

I realized today that I have no 15mm deep wall socket LOL :lol:
good thing I have an adapter so I can still use 3/8'' sockets from Duralast set (6-point) with 1/2'' ratchet :thumbsup:

I wouldn't use 12-point socket on problematic bolts (e.g. differential fill plug), but for lower torque stuff it's all right, no harm what so ever.

#15 · (Edited)
I doubt it. they seem to fit metric socket perfectly, it's not like 14mm barely fits and 15mm is loose, no no.
only thing they are different than stock sizes, and they differ between models and even sides too!

i4:
a) front driver side mount nuts: 15mm nuts
b) front pass side mount nuts: 14mm nuts

v6:
both front sides are 15mm nuts on mounts.

not sure why they did it like that.

... what would be an SAE equivalent to 14 or 15mm? I may try them on and compare if they fit better than metric ones.

#21 · (Edited)
yeah I've seen those color ones for 1/2'' in HFT, but 15mm wasn't included in my socket set with ratchet and stuff in a box anyways.
not a problem either way, because I still have the 15mm socket in 3/8'' set (SAE+metric by Duralast) so I can use it with 1/2'' via adapter.

I was just trying to think of a non metric equivalent, but there isn't one. So 15mm is what the thing has to be. Just don't recall seeing any nut or bolt that was 15mm before. I have a 15mm in my 3/8 drive set, but never once used it. BTW, I have a 1/2 drive shallow 6 point set made by Craftsman, but it's 25+ years old.

I love the old Craftsman ratchets, I have a set of fine tooth from way back when, best ratchets hands down IMO.
exactly. now I recall what I tried on that nut. I actually tried on all similar SAE sockets (don't ask me about sizes) but none of them fit tight, only 15mm metric was a tight fit, so it must be it.

as I wrote above, I have that socket in 3/8'' set and that was literally the very first time I used it after swapping front strut assemblies to Monroe Quickstruts hehe :lol: ... and now I have to keep using it every time I need to remove the strut brace on both cars :facepalm:

I wish 1/2'' shallow socket sets were commonly 6-point, but since almost all (below $50) are now 12-point then oh well, let's use them ...

#19 ·
I was just trying to think of a non metric equivalent, but there isn't one. So 15mm is what the thing has to be. Just don't recall seeing any nut or bolt that was 15mm before. I have a 15mm in my 3/8 drive set, but never once used it. BTW, I have a 1/2 drive shallow 6 point set made by Craftsman, but it's 25+ years old.

I love the old Craftsman ratchets, I have a set of fine tooth from way back when, best ratchets hands down IMO.

#34 ·

15mm is used in GM and some Fords...

#22 · (Edited)
9/16" = 14.29mm. I recall going through metric sockets and ended up having to use SAEs on Monroes and Gabriels.

The old set I got from HF was 6-point. Then they switched over to 12-point in exactly the same setup - with the longer rubber grip breaker bar. The latest has the blow-mold case and a 14" all metal breaker bar. Now the only HF 6-points are the impact sockets.

#25 · (Edited)
9/16" = 14.29mm

I recall going through metric sockets and ended up having to use SAEs on Monroes and Gabriels.
wondering if they changed something since then. I clearly remember that on "15mm" nut the smaller similar SAE socket (probably 9/16) did not fit and the next one up (have no idea what that is, I hate those fractional numbers, can't remember them ever) was way too loose.

I will check again tomorrow on i4 having both 14mm and 15mm nuts over front monroe struts. will be finally tightening down the p/s belt and fixing the leaky distributor plug (if weather is not too windy).

I prefer 6 point also, like BMR said less likely to round off important nuts/bolts. I do use them on bolts than have less torque, just to snug them down.

I wouldn't use any 12 point socket around the timing belt area, for example.
I think the risk of rounding the hex head bolt with 12-point socket starts at way higher torques than timing area (max 80ft-lbs for crank bolt on 5s-fe, max 40ft-lbs on 1mz-fe).

however they may slip on rusty or already stripped bolts way easier than the 6-point sockets (less likely).

I'm rocking
this. Just had to reorganize everything in it since I accidentally kicked the case when it was open last. :( It has both 12 and 6 point shallow sockets... SAE and Metric. The deep well sockets are all 12 point. I do have a 6 point deep well 10mm though.
that's one hell of a set :) :thumbsup:

how much was it?

#24 ·
I'm rocking this. Just had to reorganize everything in it since I accidentally kicked the case when it was open last. :( It has both 12 and 6 point shallow sockets... SAE and Metric. The deep well sockets are all 12 point. I do have a 6 point deep well 10mm though.

#30 ·
hey, I checked those nuts on front Monroe mounts again and they ARE 14mm on passenger side and 15mm on driver side (talking about i4 engine car) LOL :lol:

no SAE sockets fit the 15mm one. 9/16'' is way too small and next one up 5/8'' is way too loose.
however I discovered the funniest part, 14mm vs 15mm are interchangeable :D they share the same thread, so studs are same, only nuts are different. so I may visit local Home Depot and get 9 (or a dozen) of 14mm hex head nuts for the same thread pattern and hardness (10) and get rid off the idiotic 15mm nuts on both cars :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.