Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know with the chip shortage car prices are 2-3k more than they were earlier this summer. I'm debating whether to get a 2021 Avalon Hybrid Limited now or wait until the 2022 is out and see if I can score a better deal during year end sales. I was thinking with Avalon being discontinued after 2022 model, and it being a slow seller as it is, I may be able to get a decent deal. Lowest though I can find nationwide is 40k. If it was just a few grand cheaper I'd definitely jump on one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is difficult to predict what the prices are going to be in the future, but keep in mind that the chip shortage is not the only problem. In fact, it is a sign of a much bigger problem, which is inflation. A lot of people did nothing for a long time, and got paid. Hence money are not matching the products - a lot of money, not a lot of products. There are all indications that prices will continue to rise for a foreseeable future, and if you wait, you may end up paying more, not less. In all probability it will work like this: in order to make more chips they need more workers; in order to get more workers they need to pay more; in order to pay more they need to raise prices. So what you see now maybe leftover prices from good old days, and what you will see next summer maybe a brand new world.... with much higher prices for everything, including cars.

That been said, Avalon is not their best seller, and they may have some deals, so - who knows? I would not bet on it, though.

·
Registered
2020 Avalon Hybrid Limited with ASP
39 Posts
I don't understand why the top of the line breathtaking car is not best seller...

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,885 Posts
It's a tough call.
Avalons don't sell well, so prices are pretty reasonable compared to other models, but don't expect anything below invoice.
On the flip side, trade values are amazing, so your trade is only going to go down in value. Ya, by waiting a year you might be able to save $1000 on a new car, but it'll cost you $2000 on your trade.

We got about $18k for my wife's 2015 Rav4. We only paid $26k for it brand new. Traded it in on a new Venza.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,885 Posts
I don't understand why the top of the line breathtaking car is not best seller...
I was hesitant when my dealer suggested it. My impression was that it was significantly larger than the Camry and I was worried about tight parking spaces.
It sits a bit lower, so it LOOKS wider, but overall, it's not that much larger.

But the Avalon is in an uncomfortable position where buyers that are thinking about kicking over the $40k mark are also potential Lexus buyers... I think the Avalon and ES steal a lot of sales from each other.

·
Registered
349 Posts
According to Autotrader, there are 5 2021 Toyota Hybrid Limited's below $40k, and being there in person might (or might not) net some additional discounts: Autotrader - page unavailable

Update: please disregard. Looks like Autotrader prices are inaccurate or not current, since the actual dealer page price is much higher. I wonder if dealers are still discounting through Costco?

Best wishes on your search.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It kinda falls into a gap between Camry and Lexus ES. People who prefer saving money and younger people (usually the same category) choose Camry. You can have a very good Camry below 30K.
People who have money and/or would like more comfort go for Lexus.
Avalon is very close to Lexus ES in price and without substantial discounts would not be very competitive. So dealers have to give discounts, but they do not like it. Manufacturer then wonders "why even make it? Why create competition for our own cars - Camry and Lexus?"

·
Premium Member
2014 Avalon Limited
430 Posts
Now would be the a good time to buy a 2021 model . If you're lucky enough to find one with the options and your preferred color choices. Next year will be very limited and the fact the Avalon's are done will probably increased the dealers selling price next year, unless you order one now. If you find a 2021 limited hybrid you like, make a lower offer on it. You can always go up with it. 38 K max. for a left over full options Limited, plus then adding fees and tax would be ok if you really love the car , for a long term keeper.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Registered
36 Posts
38 K max. for a left over full options Limited, plus then adding fees and tax would be ok if you really love the car , for a long term keeper.
Not going to happen. Limited is their most popular model, no one will sell it in this market below MSRP.
The best chance for a discount is with XLE or XSE. Maybe Touring.

·
Premium Member
2014 Avalon Limited
430 Posts
The 2021 Limited Hybrid is the one to get the deal on. Now is still the best time to negotiate in person.

Reactions: cb91710

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
782 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have been wanting to buy a new car for about a year. Price is not an issue for me. What I am more concerned with is finding a car I really like and the build quality. Between COVID and the chip shortage it seems that build quality has suffered. Now is not a great time to buy anything it seems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been wanting to buy a new car for about a year. Price is not an issue for me. What I am more concerned with is finding a car I really like and the build quality. Between COVID and the chip shortage it seems that build quality has suffered. Now is not a great time to buy anything it seems.
I don't think it effected the build quality in any form. Chip shortage or even labor shortage does not mean they build them differently. The process is the same. If they do not have a chip - they do not build it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't think it effected the build quality in any form. Chip shortage or even labor shortage does not mean they build them differently. The process is the same. If they do not have a chip - they do not build it.
Early in my working life I was a quality control inspector in a large can making plant while working my way through college. It was a great job that taught me a lot about what it takes to produce a product at a high rate of production and quality. The following two problems are well known and make perfect sense to me.

People build cars. People building cars are affected by COVID just like everyone else. Absentee rates are high and people on the line are distracted with the fear of getting COVID rather than being focused on the quality of the product.

The chip shortage is not only about the availability of chips but also the acceptable quality level (AQL) of those chips. Chip lots that would have been rejected in the past due to high failure rates are being reworked under less stringent acceptance criteria.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Early in my working life I was a quality control inspector in a large can making plant while working my way through college. It was a great job that taught me a lot about what it takes to produce a product at a high rate of production and quality. The following two problems are well known and make perfect sense to me.

People build cars. People building cars are affected by COVID just like everyone else. Absentee rates are high and people on the line are distracted with the fear of getting COVID rather than being focused on the quality of the product.

The chip shortage is not only about the availability of chips but also the acceptable quality level (AQL) of those chips. Chip lots that would have been rejected in the past due to high failure rates are being reworked under less stringent acceptance criteria.
If this is true we should expect lower quality for years to come. Possibly for decades.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If this is true we should expect lower quality for years to come. Possibly for decades.
Barring any other obstacles, I think the current supply chain issues will resolve themselves in the next twelve to eighteen months.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just got a Certified, loaded 2019 Limited off-lease w/ 45k miles for under $29.5k.
They put new tires on it, new brake pads, turned the drums.
Figured someone else can eat the new-car depreciation.
We drive less than average miles per year, so we won't add much wear & tear.

Hard to tell how long supply chain problems will continue to cause price increases. China has port loading delays due to quarantines, ships are stacked up waiting to dock & unload on the West Coast, shipping containers are in short supply as well as container ships themselves, truck drivers are overworked, China is taxing chip makers on the excuse they are price gouging, it seems that the computer makers were the first to order chips so cars & appliances are waiting in line...

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
87 Posts
I don't think they marketed the car very well. Maybe relying on the repeat customers that have been going from Avalon to Avalon since the 90s. Most people that have owned one loved it. We had a 1997 that ran for 300k with no major issues. I think we had to replace the radiator around 250k but that didn't cost much. Anyways, I didn't even know they had a new model out for a year after it was released and I saw it when I was going in to buy a Camry. Damn sure never saw any on the road back then, still don't see many today.

It's a tough call.
Avalons don't sell well, so prices are pretty reasonable compared to other models, but don't expect anything below invoice.
On the flip side, trade values are amazing, so your trade is only going to go down in value. Ya, by waiting a year you might be able to save $1000 on a new car, but it'll cost you $2000 on your trade.

We got about $18k for my wife's 2015 Rav4. We only paid $26k for it brand new. Traded it in on a new Venza.
Definitely this. New car prices probably won't decrease over the next five years, they'll only go up, won't be a lot of deals to be had. If you're trading in, the value of that car will decrease, obviously because of depreciation, but also because as more new cars finally hit the market, the demand for used cars will go down. They really are giving huge amounts for used cars right now. I'd shop around though and probably wouldn't trade to the dealer. Definitely get a better price as a private party seller, that's always the case and of course there's more hassle if you still owe on it. But going to used car lots or Carmax to just sell the car, not actually trade it there, you'll likely get more than you would on a trade in from a dealer. A lot of the dealers will just send it to auction and get a lot less for it than a used car lot that resells it themselves, especially if they tote the note too.

I haven't dealt with selling a car to Carmax in years, I think before they even did online quotes. But if their online offers are anywhere close to what they'll actually pay, it's considerably more than I've been offered on a trade. The offers they came back with on their website based on just the VIN, mileage and a few basic questions, sight unseen, was more then double what three different dealers offered on a trade in for my wife's Camry. I know they probably over bid online and then nickel and dime it down when you take it in, but I'm not sure by how much. I should find out within a few weeks when I take a few cars down there for an in-person offer. If anyone has dealt with them recently selling a vehicle, I'd be interested to hear about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts