Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have literally seen only two 2019 Avalon's on the road. I see a lot of dealers are making down the prices on them. IS the Toyota Avalon really not selling well? I guess leasing it would be bad in this day and age of full size cars not selling well. It's a nice looking car, but it sits a bit too low for me being 6'4''... What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I believe the XLE and Limited models should sell well once middle and senior aged buyers hear about how much the ride, handling and seat comfort have improved on the base and Limited models. But that could take a year, two or three because right now these buyers - based on their experiences with the 4th gen Avalon - associate the Avalon name with a car that rides hard and has small, hard seats.

I don't believe the boy-racer Avalon XSE will ever sell well because sub-35 year olds will not want to be seen in a grandpa car that's been dressed up to look sporty. Plus they don't have good enough credit to qualify for a $35+ K car loan at today's interest rates.

·
straight cash homie
19,003 Posts
I too have yet to notice any 2019s on the road yet...like you said, the market isn't great because people are buying SUVs, probably not many deals to be had.

·
straight cash homie
19,003 Posts
I don't believe the boy-racer Avalon XSE will ever sell well because sub-35 year olds will not want to be seen in a grandpa car that's been dressed up to look sporty. Plus they don't have good enough credit to qualify for a $35+ K car loan at today's interest rates.
35 year olds can afford $35k cars, but I doubt Avalons will be at the top of their wish list when they can lease luxury cars and/or buy Subaru WRXs and the like at the price point.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've seen only one avalon on the road. I fairly often see what I think is an avalon and only by reading text at the back realize it's a camry. The differentiation is minimal in the exterior.

The two at my dealership displayed prominently as one walks in were there for many weeks as of last time I drove by.

I like the 19 avalon but I as i already said in another thread (or two), Toyota lost me this gen because they were asking for luxury+ lease rates on a Toyota, so I'm already out of Toyota for at least three more years. The lease offerings on this a month or two ago were pathetic.

·
Registered
5 toyotas,
528 Posts
seats hardly comfortable,

I checked one out a few weeks ago, sat in it & noticed the seats were hardly comfortable and got out.
Not for me, seats in my 2011 HL limited way more comfortable. Maybe seats are strictly individual preference but
the brand new avalon felt like the seat bottom has less than 1" padding on seatbottom, like the camrys........

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have literally seen only two 2019 Avalon's on the road. I see a lot of dealers are making down the prices on them. IS the Toyota Avalon really not selling well? I guess leasing it would be bad in this day and age of full size cars not selling well. It's a nice looking car, but it sits a bit too low for me being 6'4''... What are your thoughts?

Has Toyota actually launched the car? I see a Toyota ad on TV every 15 minutes and the Avalon isn't mentioned in any of them. And, other than reviews from the preview party, I haven't seen any detailed hands on reviews.

I've gotten many compliments on mine (Limited) and have grown to love it except for a few details. I was able to get about 10% off the sticker price and that was weeks ago. And they gave me all of the dealer adds ... window tint, etc. for free. It was the last week of the quarter which may have had something to do with it. Also, the trade in amount exceeded expectations. Not the best deal in the world but it only took a little time to close the deal via emails.

Personally, I like the drive, ride and tech much better than the '15 Genesis I traded.

I've seen 3 out on the road and I don't drive around very much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It is not surprising to me that 2019 Avalon sales may be low. Toyota had a choice. Fix the few comfort issues on the 4th Gen and regain the older traditional buyer, or make the car more "sporty" to appeal to younger buyers. They tried to do both and I think will find that they have accomplished neither. Tradition buyers can't tolerate it and younger buyers don't find it appealing.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
It is not surprising to me that 2019 Avalon sales may be low. Toyota had a choice. Fix the few comfort issues on the 4th Gen and regain the older traditional buyer, or make the car more "sporty" to appeal to younger buyers. They tried to do both and I think will find that they have accomplished neither. Tradition buyers can't tolerate it and younger buyers don't find it appealing.
Yes, but we need to remember that the 2019 model has been on the market for only a few months and unlike the corolla-camry price range cars the avalon is not an affordable and mass selling car and in the past month Toyota sold 2996 Avalons which is 476 more vs June of 2017.
Personally I'm not impressed with the car and so far the Avalon sales numbers are much lower compared to 2013 when the Gen 4 was launched (back in 2013 they sold 7099 units in May and 6526 in June), but who knows, maybe it's exactly what potential buyers want.

·
straight cash homie
19,003 Posts
Yes, but we need to remember that the 2019 model has been on the market for only a few months and unlike the corolla-camry price range cars the avalon is not an affordable and mass selling car and in the past month Toyota sold 2996 Avalons which is 476 more vs June of 2017.
Personally I'm not impressed with the car and so far the Avalon sales numbers are much lower compared to 2013 when the Gen 4 was launched (back in 2013 they sold 7099 units in May and 6526 in June), but who knows, maybe it's exactly what potential buyers want.
How many units did you expect them to sell?

Its a tougher market now than it was 5 years ago. New Camry, plus SUVs that are more in demand, it's no less than a challenge to sell a full-sizer these days even with incentives. Also, there's less traditional sedan buyers as well. Don't forget, the new ES is also around the corner.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
How many units did you expect them to sell?

Its a tougher market now than it was 5 years ago. New Camry, plus SUVs that are more in demand, it's no less than a challenge to sell a full-sizer these days even with incentives. Also, there's less traditional sedan buyers as well. Don't forget, the new ES is also around the corner.
The market always been tough on full size "entry luxury" sedans and even with adjustment on "tougher than it was 5 years ago" the 2019 Avalon is still selling pretty slow. Based on first reviews and public excitement I was pretty sure that the 2019 would repeat the 2013 success or might do even better, but after I've sat in one I think Toyota made a few mistakes and a large group of potential buyers wont really like it. It's not a bad car, not my cup of tea though, but without real intensives it wont sell, so Toyota better hurry up and increase intensives to 4-5K. I don't know if I'm a potential buyer or not and I'm not a SUV person for sure, but even with 5K on the 2019 hood I would get a Highlander or redesigned Pilot. The 2016-17 Avalon is not exactly me either, but the 2019 missed me by a mile.

·
straight cash homie
19,003 Posts
The market always been tough on full size "entry luxury" sedans and even with adjustment on "tougher than it was 5 years ago" the 2019 Avalon is still selling pretty slow. Based on first reviews and public excitement I was pretty sure that the 2019 would repeat the 2013 success or might do even better, but after I've sat in one I think Toyota made a few mistakes and a large group of potential buyers wont really like it. It's not a bad car, not my cup of tea though, but without real intensives it wont sell, so Toyota better hurry up and increase intensives to 4-5K. I don't know if I'm a potential buyer or not and I'm not a SUV person for sure, but even with 5K on the 2019 hood I would get a Highlander or redesigned Pilot. The 2016-17 Avalon is not exactly me either, but the 2019 missed me by a mile.
We know that sales will go up when they stack $10K on the hood since it has happened sometime in the past few months during the selldown of the 2018s (and any 17s or 16s lingering on some dealer lots)...yes it is early to throw down that much money on a redesign, but who knows if those tariffs will come into play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Who is the target market for the 2019 Avalon?
If it's current Avalon owners. Toyota has the problem of selling against their own successes. Avalon owners I know tend to keep their cars long term. We buy comfortable, reliable, upper echelon sedans and take care of them. My dealer is eager to trade me out of my 2011 Limited, but what does the 2019 Avalon offer that I lack and need? What's the unique selling point? If I were in the market for a new car, I would be in the market for another Avalon, but until that moment I will read the forums and learn from the experiences of others.

·
straight cash homie
19,003 Posts
If it's current Avalon owners. Toyota has the problem of selling against their own successes. Avalon owners I know tend to keep their cars long term. We buy comfortable, reliable, upper echelon sedans and take care of them. My dealer is eager to trade me out of my 2011 Limited, but what does the 2019 Avalon offer that I lack and need? What's the unique selling point? If I were in the market for a new car, I would be in the market for another Avalon, but until that moment I will read the forums and learn from the experiences of others.
Because its all new? They figure either you want the newest one, or one of their SUVs like the rest of the population...the dealer sees your car as an opportunity to put you in a new car and potentially take yours in trade. Just business.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
I think the primary target buyers for the 2019 are current Avalon owners and a bit younger auditory that is not happy with the Camry and can not afford an ES yet, but imo the new Avalon will attract only a small portion of that auditory.
I drove a 2003 and 2005-12 models and to me the 2019 model reminds me the Gen 3 Avalon much more than the Gen 4. I'm not trying to say anything bad about the 2005-12 model, but it feels too large, bulky and heavy, the same way as the Gen 3 feels to me and the same as the Gen 3 the 2019 has some interior materials and design elements that downgrade the interior. Even the 2019 "trampoline" center stack remind me the 2011-12 center stack.

·
straight cash homie
19,003 Posts
ES Pricing released

Lexus ES pricing released today:
  • All-new, fully redesigned Lexus ES 350 starts at $39,500
  • Ultra-efficient ES 300h with fourth generation hybrid drive system starts at $41,310
  • Official EPA ratings make the ES 300h the most fuel efficient, luxury vehicle without a plug
  • All-new, performance-oriented ES 350 F SPORT starts at $44,035
July 27, 2018

PLANO, Texas (July 27, 2018) – Entering its seventh generation, the all-new 2019 Lexus ES will go on sale in September with a base price of $39,500, a modest $550 increase over the outgoing model. The latest ES sedan delivers enhanced comfort, craftsmanship and luxury in one of the most competitive segments in the industry.

In addition to the ES 350, the ultra-efficient ES 300h will go on sale with a base price of $41,310, a notable $510 decrease compared to its predecessor. The new ES 300h not only costs less, it’s EPA mileage estimates of 43 mpg city, 45 mpg highway and 44 mpg combined make it the most fuel-efficient luxury vehicle without a plug.

A new addition to the lineup in 2019, the ES 350 F SPORT arrives with a base price of $44,035. It includes numerous upgrades like a retuned suspension, 19-inch wheels and tires and unique aluminum interior trim that gives the F SPORT a more dynamic look and feel.

The New Dimension of ES Design

Built on the all-new Global Architecture – K (GA-K) platform, the new ES pushes the limits of design in the luxury sedan class. Its stance and proportions reflect its newfound performance capabilities and give the ES the kind of eye-catching appearance that will make owners take a second look as they walk away.

In a break with ES models of the past, the seventh-generation design uses a fast roofline that emphasizes its lower stance and slippery aerodynamics. F SPORT models add a rear spoiler, additional rear badging and a dark lower valance to further refine the look.

The Future of Lexus Interiors

In the ES, the driver’s focus is kept on the road ahead by placing the center display screen, instrument panel and available head up display in a tight cluster in the driver’s field of view. Front passengers, on the other hand, get a more open and spacious environment that promotes relaxation. Rear seat passenger comfort has long been a hallmark of the ES and the seventh-generation model still prioritizes rear package capability despite the sleeker exterior roofline.

To create an entirely different appearance for the inside of the new F SPORT model, an all-new kind of metallic cabin trim was developed that is unlike anything else Lexus has done before. Inspired by the making of a traditional Japanese sword, Hadori aluminum trim features fluctuating wave patterns that give it a three-dimensional appearance that varies depending on the viewing angle.

A New Era of Performance

When it came to reengineer the ES, the starting point was the newly developed GA-K chassis, an exceptionally rigid front-wheel drive chassis. Various grades of high-tensile steel reduce weight versus previous platforms while additional enhancements like an all-new multi-link rear suspension design, rack-mounted electric power steering and a V-brace mounted behind the rear seat gave the engineers the flexibility to tune the ES with a newfound level of precision.

For an enhanced level of dynamic performance, F SPORT models offer an optional Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), a system borrowed from the LC coupe and LS sedan. AVS adds adjustable dampers at each corner that feature 650 levels of damping force for the ultimate in control over any surface.

Standard V6 Power and a New 8-Speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission
All ES 350s are powered by a 3.5-liter V6 that is designed to deliver commanding acceleration along with an invigorating sound. With an update to D-4S fuel injection, the impressively smooth engine now develops 302 horsepower and 267 pound-feet of torque.

In addition to the boost in power, the ES 350 also benefits from a new eight-speed Direct Shift automatic transmission. With a wider spread of ratios, the new eight-speed transmission is able to utilize high torque gears on the low end for quick starts and tall gearing on the high end for optimum efficiency.

Despite the significant boost in both power and torque, the new ES also delivers better fuel efficiency than before with EPA mileage numbers of 22 mpg city, 33 mpg highway and 26 mpg combined. Compared to the previous ES 350, that’s a two mile-per-gallon improvement in combined driving in addition to an extra 34 horsepower and 19 extra pound feet of torque. For the new 2019 ES 350 F SPORT, the official EPA numbers are 22 mpg city, 31 mpg highway and 25 mpg in combined driving.

The Most Fuel-Efficient Luxury Vehicle Without a Plug

Not to be outdone by its gasoline siblings, the ES 300h is capable of delivering exceptional fuel efficiency, responsive performance and minimal emissions for an entry-level executive sedan. A new, fourth-generation Hybrid Drive System couples an ultra-efficient, Atkinson cycle 2.5-liter, four-cylinder gas engine with a lighter, more compact, more power dense electric motor and self-charging hybrid system. Together they deliver a combined 215 total system horsepower and class-leading EPA mileage numbers of 43 mpg city, 45 mpg highway and 44 mpg combined. Those numbers make the ES 300h the most fuel-efficient luxury vehicle without a plug.

Unparalleled Safety Comes Standard

One element of the ES that hasn’t been radically transformed is its dedication to safety. All versions of the seventh-generation ES feature the new Lexus Safety System+ 2.0 as standard equipment. Already one of the most sophisticated systems of its kind, LSS+ 2.0 adds new features that further expand its capabilities such as daytime bicyclist detection and low light pedestrian detection.

Technology That Connects and Simplifies

There are now multiple ways to engage with everyday technology in a safe and convenient manner. For example, the seventh-generation ES is the first Lexus product to offer Apple CarPlay™ phone functionality, enabling drivers to control their iPhones® through the dashboard display screen or with Siri Eyes Free® voice control.

The ES is also Amazon Alexa®-enabled, so drivers can use natural language commands to control a variety of functions. That functionality includes car-to-home and home-to-car commands, so owners who have Alexa enabled devices in their home can interact with their ES before they ever get behind the wheel.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/07/2019-lexus-es-luxo-avalon-reveals-its-pricing/

Still think that with the ES around, the Avalon still has to convince some customers that the discount is worth it, since many buyers ARE willing to pay the slight premium for the ES and the Lexus red carpet treatment. That's my dad's reasoning for going with an ES over Avalon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have seen a few on the road and they look good. I feel it was a mistake to have leather only in the Limited. The touring does cost more than the limited which makes me wonder which one is the flagship. If you want a 2019 I would wait till the sales next year.

·
2019 Avalon Limited
Avalon Limited 2019
126 Posts
Just Bought A Limited

My previous Toyota’s were a Cressida and a 2000 Avalon XLS. I keep cars a long time. After 18 years I decided I deserved a new car. I liked the look and the first response to my email request for quotes got me a bid at 10% off MSRP loaded. No other bids came close and it came with everything. I don't care if sales are slow, I just like what I got. There are things I don’t like but I’ll address them as separate topics in other threads.

·
straight cash homie
19,003 Posts
My previous Toyota’s were a Cressida and a 2000 Avalon XLS. I keep cars a long time. After 18 years I decided I deserved a new car. I liked the look and the first response to my email request for quotes got me a bid at 10% off MSRP loaded. No other bids came close and it came with everything. I don't care if sales are slow, I just like what I got. There are things I don’t like but I’ll address them as separate topics in other threads.
Sales should have no baring on what you as buyer decides to buy. But as any conscious consumer, knowing that a car isn't selling like hotcakes means more leverage on price and getting the dealer to vie for your business on your terms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 2018 Avalon a couple months ago. I waited until I had a chance to see what the 2019 looked like before I decided which direction to take.

I have had a lot of conversations with people at Toyota (employees at the dealer) as well as car enthusiasts. This is a small sample, but most of the people I talk to are not impressed with the 2019. The main issue is the front grill. Way too big and I doubt it will attract the typical buyer. The guy I bought the 2018 from at the dealer had the same issue as his 2015 Avalon lease was up and he didn't know if he could put up with that grill.

The reason I decided on the 2018 was for a few reasons on the 2019:

-The front grill. No way I can stare that that for 10 years, which is how long I plan on having this car.
-The XLE is the only version that interested me because there is no sunroof. The 2019 XLE reduced the tank from 17 gallons to 14.5 gallons. I commute 31 miles each way to work, so that is a real problem as I will have to fill up more often.
-The rear window has been shrunk and visibility has been reduced as a result. A major problem for me.
-No more leather in the XLE. There are pros and cons to the leatherette but for me I prefer leather.
-$2000 price increase.

The one thing the 2019 had going for it was Apple Carplay, but that would not make up for all the other issues.

So after all that it was a no go for the 2019. I am thrilled with the 2018 and have not given my decision a second thought.

Regarding sales, July sales were 2573 in the US, down from 2996 in June and down from 2859 in July 2017. That is not a good sign. As a comparison, in 2012, sales went from 1307 in November to 5171 in December, a huge bump. Historically that is usually the case with a new model (Source - Good Car Bad Car website). Let's see what the August numbers show.

Another red flag is that Toyota is already offering a rebate.

So I don't know where Toyota is going to go with this, but I won't be surprised to see at least something done to the grill as early as next year.

I live in North Florida and have yet to see one outside of the showrooms.

1 - 20 of 377 Posts