Toyota Nation Forum banner

361 - 375 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes the infotainment in Lexus is probably the worst of any $50,000 car.

they should look at Mercedes A class to see how to do it right.

if i was a teenage girl i would get the A class over the ES without a second thought.

but as an adult male i was unable to fit in the back seat of the A class for example ... at all.

i also wouldn't want to have a Mercedes out of warranty on my hands ...
The trackpad in the new ES is a huge improvement over the prior mouse setup.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
i assume you're not counting people who lease because young people still drive new cars ...

certainly a person buying the car has a bigger bank account but i don't see what difference that makes to the automaker - they move inventory either way whether the car is bought for cash by somebody with a million in the bank or leased by somebody a month behind on his rent ...
Lease or buy doesn't matter, everything just statistics. If you see a young kid or girl driving a new car, 90% chance that his/her parents bought it. My son's friend driving a 2018 Civic and hi is listed as a primary on the contract, but his mother is a cosigner and her down payment, her trade and her credit bought his car, not him. :)

I used to sell cars and have buddies that still in this business and very very few under 30 people buying or leasing cars on their own and one out of 300 doesn't change picture much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lease or buy doesn't matter, everything just statistics. If you see a young kid or girl driving a new car, 90% chance that his/her parents bought it. My son's friend driving a 2018 Civic and hi is listed as a primary on the contract, but his mother is a cosigner and her down payment, her trade and her credit bought his car, not him. :)

I used to sell cars and have buddies that still in this business and very very few under 30 people buying or leasing cars on their own and one out of 300 doesn't change picture much.
i don't really see what difference it makes what he did to get the car - whether he used his parents or sold drugs or whatever - the bottom line is he is driving that new car and the dealer is getting paid.

if it was only people nearing retirement that bought new cars then why do car makers go out of their way to make cars look as youthful as possible ? my Camry looks like it was designed for teenagers - that's why i would rather be in an Avalon.

your theory makes no sense to me. the cars designed for older buyers like Buick LaCrosse are being discontinued while cars styled for 12 year olds like Camry are selling like hot cakes.

it seems you dislike the idea that young guys who never had a real job are finding ways to get behind the wheel of a hot new car by any means necessary so you're just pretending like it's not happening ...

there are young guys in my gym that drive Lamborghinis and Bentleys. how they do this i have no idea but they do. people of all ages drive cars of all ages.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
i don't really see what difference it makes what he did to get the car - whether he used his parents or sold drugs or whatever - the bottom line is he is driving that new car and the dealer is getting paid.
The difference is that he din't buy that car. He is driving it, but he didn't buy it. Same as 95% of under 30 ppl he has no or very limited credit, no free $$$, no down payment and financially he is not comfortable with $350 a month payments + insurance, gas etc. without cosigner and extra $$$ coming from his parents.

if it was only people nearing retirement that bought new cars then why do car makers go out of their way to make cars look as youthful as possible ? my Camry looks like it was designed for teenagers - that's why i would rather be in an Avalon.
Hard to say. I have a 19 years old son, 29 years old nephew, spoke to my buddy's 21 and 27 years old sons - they all said that both the new Camry and Avalon look "weirdugly" and no way they would drive something like that. I'm 42 and pretty much agree with them. no offence. I know a lot of ppl that owned a Camry at some time of their life and non of them is has any warm feelings to the new Camry.

your theory makes no sense to me. the cars designed for older buyers like Buick LaCrosse are being discontinued while cars styled for 12 year olds like Camry are selling like hot cakes.
Look at the data from an article I posted above. It's not a theory, it's the reality.

it seems you dislike the idea that young guys who never had a real job are finding ways to get behind the wheel of a hot new car by any means necessary so you're just pretending like it's not happening ...
Show me some data supporting that. 5% of "young kids" driving new cars don't make enough waves in a pool of 17+ mil new cars sold in the US.

there are young guys in my gym that drive Lamborghinis and Bentleys. how they do this i have no idea but they do. people of all ages drive cars of all ages.
Did they buy them brand new?
I'm not refusing an idea of a 20 years kid driving a brand new car, I'm saying that the percentage of under 30 ppl that bought a brand new car without credit or financial assistance from their parents is just a bit higher than an average statistical error.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
There are differences in opinion about the looks of the 2019. I recently had a tire changed on my 2019 after Nicking a curb and the tech who looked early 20s commented on what a gorgeous car it was hand how he loved the interior.

·
Registered
2019 Limited
152 Posts
Why does anyone care about sales numbers and looks this is a site for 2019 Avalon owners who like there cars and come here for useful info.I like that I have a unique car and like what I purchased and would not bash anothers taste.If you don't have something nice to say etc.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
Since 2000 anyone can buy any car . If you are breathing you can buy a car.
Pretty much.
Especially with the deregulation of Credit Unions that no longer require members to be a part of a specific group of employees or organization members, and it's been my experience that no matter how bad my credit has been (and I've been in the 500's), Credit Unions *never* say "no"... and even if they do, the dealer will be more than happy to sell you a 15% loan. Banks know that they can always repo the vehicle, and even if they can't auction it for the loan amount, they still hold that account balance over you.

Things were tough after the housing crash in 2008 and credit tightened up a bit, but since 2012 it's been cheap and easy to borrow money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pretty much.
Especially with the deregulation of Credit Unions that no longer require members to be a part of a specific group of employees or organization members, and it's been my experience that no matter how bad my credit has been (and I've been in the 500's), Credit Unions *never* say "no"... and even if they do, the dealer will be more than happy to sell you a 15% loan. Banks know that they can always repo the vehicle, and even if they can't auction it for the loan amount, they still hold that account balance over you.

Things were tough after the housing crash in 2008 and credit tightened up a bit, but since 2012 it's been cheap and easy to borrow money.
And the next bubble to burst will include auto loans. Out of control.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
Since 2000 anyone can buy any car . If you are breathing you can buy a car.
A chevy or mitsu or something like that- yes. I know someone with less than "desirable" credit and very little money down that unsuccessfully tried to gen a corolla. She tried 3 different Toyota dealers with no result, but was instantly approved for a Malibu with only 1K and an old trade in down. They even offered her an Impala.
Since yearly 2000's banks and car manufacturers changed their standards and became much smarter, cuz in most cases you can't make $$$ on "we can approve anyone" and repo cars anymore. Sure, anyone can get a car, but you need a certain income, certain down payment and decent established credit, otherwise "we can put you in a nice yaris for 7K down" :)

·
Look beyond the marque
166 Posts
Best tire out there is the Bridgestone Turanza quiettrack.
It is debatable at the moment since it was introduced in Q2 of this year. I will be putting a set on a '00 Avalon that will replace a set of Michelin Premier A/S.

I don't honestly care about gps and birds eye view. I do like the real leather and cooled seats, that's it. I'm debating if I'm better off getting a 2005 ls430 base over an 2019 Avalon! I only care about quietness and ride comfort over junk infotainment and safety aids.

I have driven countless cars such as the LS 400/430/460, Lexus ES 330/ ES350, Kia k900, Genesis G80/G90, Hyundai EQUUS, Genesis to get an idea of what I truly want in a luxury car.

That being said, my preference is for ride quality, isolation, good sound system, and physical control over infotainment.

Can't stand how car companies bother with infotainment and they all can't get it right! Just gimmick after gimmick. In a few years your be stuck with a turd on your dashboard when the new model comes out!
Same here, mang. I don't care for safety nannies as they water down driving technique and awareness. At most, I could live with ABS and adjustable traction control. Yet safety nannies keep engineers and other IT folks employed. :unsure: I would say the advent of driver aids is a consequence of high belt lines and thicker A-pillars (to house side curtain airbags) that may interfere with outward visibility.
yes the infotainment in Lexus is probably the worst of any $50,000 car.
Curious. Is that from experience or are you playing messenger for auto journalists/magazines?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why does anyone care about sales numbers and looks this is a site for 2019 Avalon owners who like there cars and come here for useful info.I like that I have a unique car and like what I purchased and would not bash anothers taste.If you don't have something nice to say etc.
It’s called being a “troll”.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't honestly care about gps and birds eye view. I do like the real leather and cooled seats, that's it. I'm debating if I'm better off getting a 2005 ls430 base over an 2019 Avalon! I only care about quietness and ride comfort over junk infotainment and safety aids.
That's ironic because I just did the reverse switch. I currently own a 2005 Lexus LS430 base (which I'm about to sell) and have upgraded to a 2019 Avalon Limited w/ ASP. AMA.

361 - 375 of 375 Posts