Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Toyotus maniacus
89'toy 2 wd pickup
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year I bought a used '04 Toyota 2.7 4 cylander 2 wheel drive with 50,000 original miles. I'm pretty sure now that I bought a Clunker:ugh3::headbang:, that had been previously used for severe duty. It had also been rear ended at one point.
Anyway, the transmission Clunks pretty bad when letting off and on the throttle-alot worse than my '89 Manual Toyota truck. How smooth are these Tacoma manual transmissions supposed to be>?
Does yours "clunk"?

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
Are you sure it isn't axle wrap? Worn rear springs will cause that, feels like the tranny is clunking.

·
Toyotus maniacus
89'toy 2 wd pickup
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you sure it isn't axle wrap? Worn rear springs will cause that, feels like the tranny is clunking.
That makes perfect sense now that you mention it. The SOB'in guy that bamboozled me I think now was doing warehouse work with the truck loading heavy loads onto the truck which would wear out the springs. Hopefully its just the springs.Thanks

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
How do the springs look? They should have an upward arch to them. If they look flat or arching downward then those springs are toast and causing the axle wrap.

·
Toyotus maniacus
89'toy 2 wd pickup
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do the springs look? They should have an upward arch to them. If they look flat or arching downward then those springs are toast and causing the axle wrap.
Thanks for the reply. In the back they are arched upward. In front they are flat.Thanks again.

·
Toyotus maniacus
89'toy 2 wd pickup
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I see in your sig you have an '89 Hilux and you also have a Taco?
This is true. Don't know why i didnt think to compare the springs, although my '89 has about 230,000 miles - but it runs strong. I go evrywhere in it-long trips and everything with no qualms whatsoever.I've taken very good care of her over the years- but havent babied her in the least. picked it up in '98 with 43,000 original miles. By the way, I just changed the fuel Filter in the '89 today. It wasnt half bad this time cause i used a couple of DRs. style hemostats to clamp off the hoses and pushed off the hoses with needle nose pliersnb, slipped the fule filter on without too much trouble and that was that. It had given me huge fits in the past-it did require a little contortion of my body. I mention this cause I was looking through the net earlier before I even posted this thread and saw your desciption someplac e(-a different Yota forum I believe) of how to change the fuel filter in the 2.7 liter Taco like I have...looks fairly hairy.

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
Those older Hilux's were built like tanks. My dad had an '88 5 lugger and I loved to drive that thing. Too bad some a-hole decided to broadside it one day. Anyhoo, 95.5-04 Taco springs are notorious for having bad rear leaf springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts