Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering if the 22re engine is prone to spark knock when accelerating heavily or when climbing a steep hill on the high way. I have slight spark knock only when doing this. The truck is an automatic. I feel kinda dumb for asking this because i think i remember reading something in the owners manual along the lines of "NOTE: it is normal to temporarily hear slight engine knock when accelerating or climbing a slight incline, but if knock is heard when holding a steady speed consult your Toyota Dealer". Do any of you guys out there with the 22re experience the same thing when climbing an incline or when accelerating? I also should say that the knocking im experiencing is only temporary and does go away when holding a steady speed.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok, hear is a list of everything about the engine and about everything that iv done to the engine:
*22RE Remanufactered with Automatic Tranny
*90,000 miles on clock
*I use Mobil 1 High Mileage Fully Synthetic and change the oil every 3000 miles. I dosent burn a drop of oil and i never have to top it off in between oil changes.
*No Engine Codes
*I use mid grade fuel, no reason to put high test in a stock vehicle that was meant for 87 octane.
*Just recently replaced the head gasket (because of faulty head gasket failure NOT DUE TO OVERHEATING!)
*While Replacing the head gasket i took notice to cylinder wall condition, Result - I can still see the hatch marks from when the cylinders were board. no piston scuffing.
*Had the cylinder head cleaned and machined with new valve seals put in.
*Cleaned all carbon crust out of intake plenum and runners.
*Did not replace timing chain because its still very tight and the guides are still in pristine condition.
*Replaced T-stat
*Valve Adjustment
After head gasket was complete i had the following set to factory parameters by a certified tech:
*Timing set
*TPS set
*Idle set
Other things that have been repaired, replaced or checked:
*Cold Start Injector - Replaced
*Air Valve (under throttle body) - Replaced
*Temp Sensor - Replaced
*Plugs have been swapped to the factory NKG plugs (bought from Toyota Dealer)
*Distributor cap and rotor have been replaced
*Wires have been replaced
*Fuel pressure regulator - Replaced
*Vacuum Lines - Checked and correct
*EGR valve - Checked and working
*Running a K&N filter
*AFM - Replaced
*EGR vacuum module - checked and working
*All VSVs - Checked and working
*Transmission Kick Down Cable - Has been set to the right clearance.
*Ignition Coil - Replaced
*Fuel Filter - Replaced
*PCV - Replaced

The noise im hearing is like somebody dropping a bunch of marbles on a granite counter top, it is not a steady noise and like i said it only does this when pushing down harder on the throttle to maintain speed when climbing a hill. Because its an automatic and doing highway speeds the tranny is in overdrive so when i come to a hill the tranny is not going to downshift to a higher gear because it dosent have to, i simply push down a little more on the throttle and it stays at the same speed and in overdrive. Now if i hammer down on it like say past half way to the floor then the tranny will down shift into passing gear and i will accelerate up the hill and the knock will go away.
* The engine does not knock on flat even roads when maintaining a steady speed and steady foot on the throttle, only hill climbs and increasing throttle without a downshift.
*And lastly the noise is barley noticeable when it happens. In other words if you dident know what you were listening for you would never notice it.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Just a point to start with, Valves don't "rattle" under load. Valve train noise is heard mostly at idle. The rattling that is heard under load is from Spark Knock (detonation/preignition) occuring in the combustion chambers. This is very hard on an engine and needs to be remedied.

Typical causes of Spark Knock are incorrect ignition timing (too advanced), incorrect cam timing, too low of octane fuel, to high of engine temperature. incorrect spark plug heat range. fuel mixture too lean. EGR system not working correctly, Also a head gasket that is leaking between cylinders will cause a knocking under load.

Go back and verify the ignition timing. Make sure that when you jumper the diagnostic connector that the idle drops and the timing shifts. If the tps is not closing the idle contacts it will not do this.

On a closing note; Ive seen rebuilt engines that have had the block decked and now run a shim between the block and the head gasket, these are usually .020" thick and the block has only been decked by .010 or so. this kills the quench and the timing won't work at factory specs.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
89 p'up
849 Posts
Just a point to start with, Valves don't "rattle" under load. Valve train noise is heard mostly at idle. The rattling that is heard under load is from Spark Knock (detonation/preignition) occuring in the combustion chambers. This is very hard on an engine and needs to be remedied.

Typical causes of Spark Knock are incorrect ignition timing (too advanced), incorrect cam timing, too low of octane fuel, to high of engine temperature. incorrect spark plug heat range. fuel mixture too lean. EGR system not working correctly, Also a head gasket that is leaking between cylinders will cause a knocking under load.

Go back and verify the ignition timing. Make sure that when you jumper the diagnostic connector that the idle drops and the timing shifts. If the tps is not closing the idle contacts it will not do this.

On a closing note; Ive seen rebuilt engines that have had the block decked and now run a shim between the block and the head gasket, these are usually .020" thick and the block has only been decked by .010 or so. this kills the quench and the timing won't work at factory specs.

I hope this helps
+1 excellent info !

and another +1 for checking the timing. i run 89 octane (uh oh, octane hijack !!!) in mine during the summer or suffer some spark knock rarely on 87. i can only remedy the knock by timing to -1 btdc on 87 octane. 93 seems to work up to +2 btdc, but it wasn't advised. soooo, 89 i am for summer, 87 for winter.
:)

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it just be because the engine is being sorta lugged? I actually took a look at the owners manual to see if i could find that note i mentioned earlier and i fact it does say the following:
If your engine knocks...

If you detect HEAVY knocking even when using the recommended fuel, or if you hear steady knocking while holding a steady speed on level roads, consult your Toyota dealer. However, now and then, you may notice LIGHT knocking for a short time while accelerating or driving up hills. This is no cause for concern.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
the heavy knocking its talking about is a rod knock.
idk if pinging would really be considered a "KNOCK", but its either pinging that youre hearing, but mostlikely just the engine being under a load. i dont think its anything to worry about

1 - 8 of 8 Posts