Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lights?

I have a 2005 Corolla, When I start my car in the AM it is dark and I like to warm up my car. The problem is that my Headlights point in my neighbors window and I can't shut them off with the car running. PLease help! My salesmen says he does not know of a way to turn off the lights when the car running. Is this stupid or what? thanx j

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Use your emergency brake. When the car starts AND the e-brake is engaged...the Daytime Running Lights will stay off. Once you disengage the e-brake, then the DRL will stay on until the car turns off.

There are other ways, by they involve wire cuts and crap that may potentially void warranty of the "affected" area.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the response. I will try the emergency brake! Will that also shut headlights off while warming up the car in total darkness?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Back it in and avoid the trouble.. or if you're already backing the car in.. then drive it in forward. :rolleyes:

As for the whole parking brake thing.. don't people with automatics ever use their parking brake?? sure the car doesn't move, but why would you wanna put stress on your transmission only?? That's why there's a parking brake on a car. :)

·
Do I need another corolla
21 Posts
There is a way to disable the daytime lights and the dealer is lying to you (or simply does not know. ask someone else. they will do it, and can put a switch in (if you tell them you need it for military or work)) Tell them that you work in a light sensitive area (such as some military bases....) and that you need it disabled. It is not required in any situation to have DRL's, but is recommended by many organizations for safety.

·
Registered
1996 Corolla
40 Posts
REN69 said:
Back it in and avoid the trouble.. or if you're already backing the car in.. then drive it in forward. :rolleyes:

As for the whole parking brake thing.. don't people with automatics ever use their parking brake?? sure the car doesn't move, but why would you wanna put stress on your transmission only?? That's why there's a parking brake on a car. :)
are u suggesting to use the parking break for autos or not use it? im confused. thanx haha.

·
Registered
508 Posts
On occasion I don't want the DRLs to come on, What I did was to get a small piece of 3/4" dowel rod and 2 of the black rubber feet that push on (hardware store) and made a small spacer that keeps the brake lever lifted just enough to keep the brake light on and the DRLs and Twilight Sentinal off. The rubber feet are wide enough and grippy enough to stay in place and won't mark the plastic and it is easy to remove and throw in glove box.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There's a whole DIY on making the switch. It's actually pretty easy. There's just one yellow wire that you have to cut and strip.

The dealership WILL do it for you as osudrewski said. They have a whole dealership data sheet / work order form on how to do it and how to handle the request. I used it to do it on my own so I could make and mount my own switch. They will just disable it and ground the wire.

Go to another dealership. If you'd like, I'll try to find the DIY and let you handle it. But honestly, after I put in the switch, DRL's off anyways. They just seem annoying when you have the option of turning off your headlights, but you can't. Wish they had the DRL Off knob option like in one of the Camry's.

·
Banned
34 Posts
DIY to kill the DRL's...

NRM - I'd like to have the DIY instructions. Email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

- JyRO

·
Unofficial TRD Whore
52 Posts
Actually, I did it without the switch. It's similar to the switch method, but instead of hooking the yellow wire to the switch, you hook the yellow wire from the DRL box to a ground near it. It will disable the DRL permanently. A lot more hassle-free, no switches, just rewiring one wire will do.

I really don't see the reason for DRL.

And I think the dealer doesn't want to tell you how to disable DRL because...
1) He really doesn't know.
2) Voids warranty?
3) Supposedly it's a safety feature, so they would like to leave it there.

·
Unofficial TRD Whore
52 Posts
Here, just follow the picture in the middle of the forum link:

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=1188&page=2

The DRL relay is the same as the one in 03+ corollas.

It's surprisingly easy because there's only ONE yellow wire.

Be careful though, there's another "box" below the DRL relay without the AISIN label. That's the power lock. If you cut the yellow wire there it will screw up the power lock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I successfully disabled the daytime running lights on my 2004 Corolla by using the yellow wire method. The DRL module is located behind the steering wheel inside the dash board. (It says what it is on it, although you can't read it very well until you get it loose). It can be accessed with difficulty from below, but removing the bottom half of the steering column cover (3 easy screws) helps a lot. One 10mm screw holds the module to the metal under the dash. Use a 1/4" drive and 10mm socket with a 6" extension. Once its loose you can cut the only yellow wire, leaving enough on both sides to connect insulated male and female connectors to both cut ends. Use a crimping tool, its pretty easy. That way you can connect a longer piece of wire to the end of the cut wire that enters the DRL module. You can then ground this longer wire to any handy screw. If you ever want to re-enable the DRL module just disconnect the ground wire and re-connect the two ends of the stock wire together using the male and female insulated connectors. What a relief to have the car crank and the headlights stay off until you want them on! Thanks for the great info which enabled me to do this.
Carl Mayers

·
Registered
283 Posts
It can be a bit easier than that.

I didn't need a screw driver. Just a wire stripper and a socket wrench.

I went down under there, cut the yellow wire and stripped it all under the dash. A bit of a tight fit, but workable. I'm 6 feet tall, with some moderately sized hands and I got by alright. Stripped the yellow wire leading out the DRL module and found the main ground point.

If you look around, there is a nut holding down maybe 15+ wires, all black and white. That is the ground. I put a fishhook on my wire because I put a switch in and the wire I used was too thick, so I fishhooked it and put it around the nut and tightened it.

You could easily just take the stock wire and wrap it around the bottom of the nut and retighten it. Make sure all the ground wires are in their proper place. And you'd be set.

DO NOT do the ebrake method. I've heard of cels coming on because of that method. Do it the proper way and so the BRAKE message on your dash isn't on all day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK guys how about this. How can we just be able to have are fog lights go on without the headlights?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts