Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to visit the factory in Kentucky and pick my car up while I'm there and maybe save some $$$. Is this possible? My local dealer is telling me it is not an option.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,283 Posts
No.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer, my guess is they would sell more cars and build better customer loyalty with that kind of program. Too bad.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Everyone's gotta pay the transport cost or whatever they call it. Some other members here can give you better information than me.

·
イリジウム
11,931 Posts
I think in most if not all states manufacturers can’t sell directly to the public because of franchise laws protecting dealerships.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a problem going through my local dealer, in fact I'd rather do that so they get something out of it too. It's just too bad Toyota doesn't let us do it. I'm sure it helps keep some of the hidden profit hidden so it's good for Toyota and the dealers, but it's not good for consumers. I would love to take a trip to the factory, take a tour to see the cars getting built (maybe even mine) meet some folks that work there and thank them, show some appreciation, etc. Spend some time in the area driving my new car and drive home. Awesome trip! Good for me, good for the dealer, good for the factory employees, good for the local economy and good for Toyota. Too bad it will never happen.

·
イリジウム
11,931 Posts
I dunno, call Toyota HQ and ask. Even if you can’t get out of the destination charge.

I know, real bummer if someone lives across from the factory! Not to mention a factory tour like Detroit does. ;)

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Buy the new vehicle then bring it back to the factory.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I would love to take a trip to the factory, take a tour to see the cars getting built (maybe even mine) meet some folks that work there and thank them, show some appreciation, etc. Spend some time in the area driving my new car and drive home. Awesome trip! Good for me, good for the dealer, good for the factory employees, good for the local economy and good for Toyota. Too bad it will never happen.
I provided a link for tours at the Kentucky plant. Most other Toyota plants offer tours also.

If you take a tour there, and want to show the employees some appreciation, just bring them some glazed caramel doughnuts.

·
straight cash homie
19,326 Posts
Also has to go through a regional distributor, as far as I understand.
Regional distributors just order cars, that's it. Once the cars are manufactured and ready, they are sent to Toyota Logistics Services (TLS) Vehicle Distribution Centers for processing (putting on the Monroney and any accessories/PIOs) and then transported to the dealer, either by truck, train or both. VDCs are usually located at the factory (Kentucky, Indiana, etc.), or at the port of entry for Japanese built stuff (Long Beach, Benicia, Portland, etc.). GST and SET have their own operations.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Regional distributors just order cars, that's it. Once the cars are manufactured and ready, they are sent to Toyota Logistics Services (TLS) Vehicle Distribution Centers for processing (putting on the Monroney and any accessories/PIOs) and then transported to the dealer, either by truck, train or both. VDCs are usually located at the factory (Kentucky, Indiana, etc.), or at the port of entry for Japanese built stuff (Long Beach, Benicia, Portland, etc.). GST and SET have their own operations.
I realize that the Toyota owned regional distributors are all managed by Toyota Logistics Services (TLS) and have their distribution centers combined into one per factory (instead of one per region), plus the port of entry locations for imported vehicles, but it is still separate from the factory. Just because they have one at each factory in the USA, does not mean they are run by the factory. So the cars have to go from the factory to the near-by distribution area for delivery to dealers. According to the link you provided (which is about 10 years old), "Toyota Logistics Services has 11 Vehicle Distribution Centers (VDCs) across the U.S. and two in Canada."

As you noted, Southeast Toyota and Gulf States Toyota are not owned by Toyota USA, and have their own distribution facilities.

·
straight cash homie
19,326 Posts
I realize that the Toyota owned regional distributors are all managed by Toyota Logistics Services (TLS) and have their distribution centers combined into one per factory (instead of one per region), plus the port of entry locations for imported vehicles, but it is still separate from the factory. Just because they have one at each factory in the USA, does not mean they are run by the factory. So the cars have to go from the factory to the near-by distribution area for delivery to dealers. According to the link you provided (which is about 10 years old), "Toyota Logistics Services has 11 Vehicle Distribution Centers (VDCs) across the U.S. and two in Canada."

As you noted, Southeast Toyota and Gulf States Toyota are not owned by Toyota USA, and have their own distribution facilities.
Regional distributors are pretty much operations. They're not the regional office that works with dealers to place customer orders (That's TMS or TMNA whatever they are now). They are a subsidiary much like TRD, which is like lots of other car companies. They all work together, so to say that they aren't run by the factory is just false. There's a lot of layers at Toyota, you'd have to read to know the differences and what not...

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Regional distributors are pretty much operations. They're not the regional office that works with dealers to place customer orders (That's TMS or TMNA whatever they are now). They are a subsidiary much like TRD, which is like lots of other car companies. They all work together, so to say that they aren't run by the factory is just false. There's a lot of layers at Toyota, you'd have to read to know the differences and what not...
I guess we just disagree. The factory is Toyota Motor Manufacturing, which is different then the distribution arm, which in your link above was called Toyota Logistics Services (TLS), but may have changed names since that link was published. Yes, they work together, and they are both part of Toyota Motor North America, Inc, but are separate parts.

·
straight cash homie
19,326 Posts
I guess we just disagree. The factory is Toyota Motor Manufacturing, which is different then the distribution arm, which in your link above was called Toyota Logistics Services (TLS), but may have changed names since that link was published. Yes, they work together, and they are both part of Toyota Motor North America, Inc, but are separate parts.
Oh I know that. TMMK, TMMI, whichever location it is different, they manufacture the vehicles. TLS is located onsite adjacent to process the vehicles prior them to boarding the train or truck. I myself have been to TLS Long Beach which is a port of entry for Japanese made cars, and they process the cars coming in, putting the parts on, and/or sending them on train and truck. Everything pretty much is "Toyota", but obviously, the clear distinct separate operations are GST and SET, and even Servco if count them (The exclusive distributor in Hawaii).

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,654 Posts
Also has to go through a regional distributor, as far as I understand.
At least back in 2008, Carson Toyota drove my Highlander literally from the transport ship to the lot. For all I know they're a regional distributor or something similar, but also rules in the interim have changed. Anyway, just throwing that out given my order and delivery was fairly unique.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
At least back in 2008, Carson Toyota drove my Highlander literally from the transport ship to the lot. For all I know they're a regional distributor or something similar, but also rules in the interim have changed. Anyway, just throwing that out given my order and delivery was fairly unique.
Normally, If a car is coming into the USA from overseas, it has to go through customs and import process before being transported to dealers. Toyota has lots right next to all the ports of entry where they do that, and put on the Window Sticker (required by law). Not sure about your order.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts