Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm confused with these 2 terms. I read and hear so much of these and they seem the same but both have different abilities to enchance the performance of the car. So what are the difference between these 2.

EDIT:: oh and i just noticed that i posted it in gen3 and 4 but the reason is i'm planning to get "THE" bar for the 2 mounts for me camry but i would like to know a bit more info before purchasing it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Strut bar is the bar located in the engine bay; look inside for the two front strut mounts and the bar is placed to bridge these mounts.

The major difference in handling is the sway bar (the rear sway bar in particular). This is the bar that connects the sway bar links together near the struts. Camrys already come with stock sway bars, but aftermarket ones are usually thicker and made of better material.

The strut bar and the sway bars make significant improvement if the car is lowered. If the car isn't lowered, these bars won't help at all.

My 2 cents.
 

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
Joined
·
922 Posts
^^ yes yes

You won't really noticethat big of a "performance" increase regardless, you will just feel more stable in a more intense turning situation. Only severe movements in turning will you really notice a difference at all. Also yes, you wont be able to notice it even more if your car is not at a lower center of gravity.

P.S. V6 Camry doesnt have 200HP stock lol, close...but more like 160 or less at the wheels. If you were interested in knowing anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aww so in order for me to feel the difference in driving with having a strut/sway bar installed is if i lowered the car? I exactly do want to lower the camry but i'm planning to sell the camry back out in about 1-2 years when im done univeristy and by then i'll probably plan to get the new verison of subaru wrx sti. So even if i installed the strut bar(front) it wont make a difference when im driving? cuz i like to speed (of course >_> ) and when i hit past 100 i feel the car is about to lift. I just want to put some weight into the camry so i wont feel that lifting affect when im driving at high speeds. I wanna remain on the ground ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Corollacrazy42 said:
^^ yes yes

You won't really noticethat big of a "performance" increase regardless, you will just feel more stable in a more intense turning situation. Only severe movements in turning will you really notice a difference at all. Also yes, you wont be able to notice it even more if your car is not at a lower center of gravity.

P.S. V6 Camry doesnt have 200HP stock lol, close...but more like 160 or less at the wheels. If you were interested in knowing anyways.

well i checked serveral websites and they all indicate that my type of camry has 197hp in them so i just rounded it :p

oh so you mean I WILL feel the differnece while driving the car with front strut bar installed? Cuz right now i'm aimming for stabilitiy on my car.. Currently its very light weight and an probably fly if i hit pass 160 haha
 

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
197hp at the crank, about 60 to the wheels.

uhm okay people, unless you get highquality lightweight and strong parts you're better off not getting them for the car. I have a strut bar and rear sway bar. The strut bar is heavy cos i went the cheap ebay route...but the rear swaybar is nice and from whiteline.

Both items are unecessary if you dont drive hard. In fact you're ride wont feel as comfortable with them.

What i noticed with the strut bar was a stiffer ride while going over speed bumps...whoopdeedooo....lol

the rear sway made more of a difference. I am able to keep the car fairly stable through a turn as the bar attempts to keep both wheels very planted on the ground.

My car is lowered. If you ask me the only thing worth your money is the rear sway bar.
 

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
fox_prime said:
Strut bar is the bar located in the engine bay; look inside for the two front strut mounts and the bar is placed to bridge these mounts.

The major difference in handling is the sway bar (the rear sway bar in particular). This is the bar that connects the sway bar links together near the struts. Camrys already come with stock sway bars, but aftermarket ones are usually thicker and made of better material.

The strut bar and the sway bars make significant improvement if the car is lowered. If the car isn't lowered, these bars won't help at all.

My 2 cents.
i agree.. unless you plan to mod your car in anyway proform or looks this is kinda a waste of money for just a stock car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe i should aim for the rear bar now. I heard that the front bars will make the car feel more heavy, it's almost like your putting a big rock on top of your engine. hmm maybe i'll spend a bit more money and go for the rear and then if needed may even lower and get some TRD front bars :D
 

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
Joined
·
11,246 Posts
Gen 4 Camry, Gen 1 Solara
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
dpanda88 said:
So what are the difference between these 2.
a strut bar as said already goes on top of the strut mounts. it connects the front two to each other or the rear two to each other. the purpose is to stiffen the body.
a sway bar links the struts below the springs (on the camry) and is also connected to the underside body of the car. it links the front two struts or the rear two struts. the purpose is to reduce body roll when turning.

dpanda88 said:
aww so in order for me to feel the difference in driving with having a strut/sway bar installed is if i lowered the car?
no, its so that you can feel a bigger difference if its lowered. less of a difference if its not lowered but there is still a difference

dpanda88 said:
I exactly do want to lower the camry but i'm planning to sell the camry back out in about 1-2 years when im done univeristy
if your gonna sell ur car, i wouldn't do it. my opinion.

dpanda88 said:
So even if i installed the strut bar(front) it wont make a difference when im driving?
not really worth it unless you got 30 dollars to throw away. my opinion. the difference is not worth the 30$ (of course the 30$ ones are the shit ebay versions anyways lol)

dpanda88 said:
and when i hit past 100 i feel the car is about to lift. I just want to put some weight into the camry so i wont feel that lifting affect when im driving at high speeds. I wanna remain on the ground
replacing sway bars and adding strut bar does not give a significant weight increase. also adding weight isn't a good way to gives less than 1 pound. to fight lift, you need downforce. wing and canards give downforce (working wings~!!) but then again you have to drill holes for wings and thats not gonna work if ur gonna sell ur car. not to mention being called a ricer.
lowering your car also reduces lift because it changes the way air moves under the car.

dpanda88 said:
maybe i should aim for the rear bar now. I heard that the front bars will make the car feel more heavy, it's almost like your putting a big rock on top of your engine.
upgrading your front sway bar will increase understeer. since the car naturally understeers, adding the rear sway bar will even it out. so yes, if you're going to get sway bars, get the rear one.
adding a big weight to the front doesn't really have the same effect as a front sway bar because adding weight to the front actually causes oversteer.

dpanda88 said:
hmm maybe i'll spend a bit more money and go for the rear and then if needed may even lower and get some TRD front bars.
remember that by getting lowering springs and a rear sway bar, you are spending around $400 and that $400 you spent on your car is not going to increase the value of your car by $400. (you mentioned u wanted to sell it).

good luck.
hope u figure it out =]
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top