Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn i just got of the freeway and i notice a clunking sound coming of the right passenger side.I thought i had gotton a flat cus the clunking noise sounded like a flat tire and the steering wheel started to vibrate but it wasnt.I checked the rack in pinion and looks like there is some sort of grease starting to leak .Then i checked my powersteering fluid and it was a minimum so thats why i think it might be my rack in pinon.Its weird cus this just started and the steering is fine but there is alot of vibration and if i let go of it it slowly starts to turn to the right.Im not sure what this could be but does anyone have a clue?Is there any chance that it can be a cvboot/joint?I checked the boot and it looked fine but im not sure if they can still get damaged like that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Your R&P is probably leaking based upon your observations, but it is probably not the cause of your passenger side noise and the steering wheel vibration. A remote possibility is that you are so low on PS fluid, that you are feeling intermittent power steering in the system. Your strut mount or a spring on that side may have broke, causing the alignment to go out. Of course it could be many other combined or uncombined things as well that are unrelated such as a wheel weight falling off, a broken suspension linkage, broken wheel stud, shot wheel bearing, shot outer tie rod, broken/distorted/delaminated radial belt in the tire, intermediate shaft bearing failure, etc. etc etc.

davemc

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured out the problem I had 5 Broken Studs.I dont know how the hell i manged to get home but i did.I think maybe someone was trying to still my rims but im not for sure cus my other studs are all fine.Me and my father put in all 5 new studs today and the car seems back to normal.:clap:

·
Modded S2000
01 S2000, 94 Camry
212 Posts
damn i cant believe you did get home. i broke 2 studs a while back and my car wobbled like a drunk. i pulled over immediately and had to get it towed to midas for them to replace em. the studs completely shredded into metal dust. :lol: but yea u r lucky

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the wobbling was getting crazy and thats when i got scared.When we took a look at it I had a half a stud left with the other 4 gone which explains the shaking.My freaking wheel and my car was hanging with a half a stud luckly nothing happened.It took me and my dad like 1hr to put in the new studs.I just thank God nothing crazy happened.

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
445 Posts
so how did it happen? i guess you must have forgotten to tighten the wheelnuts last time you put the wheel on?

i've had the end of a driveshaft snap off completely while i was doing 100Km/h. i managed to limp home. by the time i got home the hub bearing had been totally crushed. this was all due to a worn out bearing seat on the hub which my mechanic failed to identify at the time he replaced the hub brearing. scary stuff indeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.