Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i have 7k on the clock. I drive the car semi hard so im assuming its time for an oil change. I would like to change the oil tomorrow so what kind should i use? Mobil? Or should i stick to OEM. Is a fram filter good enough?

·
Joined the dark side. :D
8,838 Posts
Mobil1 + OEM filter.......... but most of all USE THE SEARCH will give you your answer instantly and covers all your question/concern/etc.

:D

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
No such thing as OEM oil. Mobil1 or Amsoil would be my choice.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
No such thing as OEM oil. Mobil1 or Amsoil would be my choice.
Yes there is such a thing as OEM oil. But I believe he was likely talking about the filter. And for those engines that take a cartrige filter, I agree, use OEM.

For oil, if the engine takes a 0W-20, it's hard to beat Toyota's own 0W-20. If a different weight, I'd use Pennzoil Platinum.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oem OIL is Toyoto's oil, obviously made by one of the big oil companies.

I change my oil religiously every 5K and use 0w20 synth. I want my car to last past 300k miles.

I usually use mobile 1 becasue that is what is usually on sale, but I am not brand loyal.

The Woburn, MA Toyota stealership has a sale... $37.95 for 0w20synth (toyota's brand... which ever that is), at that price I go there for my changes. You need to text kiss108 to them (forget there number to text to but if you are interested just let me know and I will look it up on my phone or you can try to find the promo code from Kiss108.

I use either Toyota's filters, mobile 1 or K&N filters (usually add one when I need to reach past $25 for free shipping at Amazon, seems to do the trick).

Lastly, the stealership also recomends changing oil every 5k.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Yes there is such a thing as OEM oil. But I believe he was likely talking about the filter. And for those engines that take a cartrige filter, I agree, use OEM.

For oil, if the engine takes a 0W-20, it's hard to beat Toyota's own 0W-20. If a different weight, I'd use Pennzoil Platinum.
I'd LOVE to see proof of that. Toyota dealers here use bulk oil delivered in 55 gallon barrels just like every other dealership from a distributor that I am good friends with. I think they are pulling the wool over somebody's eyes here.

:lol:

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Don't get confused by the oil's container. It may be delivered to the dealer in a 55-gallon drum, but it's still blended to Toyota's specifications. ExxonMobil is believed to be the supplier, but Toyota's 0W-20 is still very different from Mobil 1's own 0W-20 that you can buy elsewhere.

Do some research at BobIsTheOilGuy.com. Lots of discussion over there on Toyota's oil. In short, it's fantastic stuff. Note, this only applies to the synthetic 0W-20 oil. The other viscosity grades the dealer carries, like 5W-30, probably are the same as other over-the-counter oils. But VOAs (Virgin Oil Analyses) demonstrate Toyota's own 0W-20 to be some very excellent stuff. It has a super high Viscosity Index and tons of molybdenum. It's even price competitive with Mobil 1 by the quart, about $6/quart at my local dealer. If shopping for 0W-20, I'd recommend Toyota's 0W-20 everytime.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Well maybe SOME dealers buy that but around here they use the same 55 gallon drum stuff used by all of the other dealers.

Smoke and mirrors!

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Well, the OP was asking about what oil to buy, most likely by the quart. Every Toyota dealer sells the proper Toyota 0W-20 oil by the quart (if 0W-20 is what he needs...we don't even know that). If you buy it by the quart, you know you're getting the right (and the good) stuff.

I'll bet, however, that if you ask the dealer exactly what oil they use to service those vehicles that call for 0W-20 oil, I'm sure they'll say that they use the proper stuff (the 0W-20 oil also comes in the 55-gallon drums). If they don't even pretend and say they don't use any 0W-20 oil, that's unfortunate. If they say they do but don't, that's REAL unfortunate, and they're abusing the trust that customers (and Toyota) place on them.

·
Workin' on it.
2007 Camry SE V6
488 Posts
Funny story:

I just got my oil changed yesterday for the first time in my new/used 2007 Camry SE V6(used but new to me) and tried to get it changed at Pep Boys. After telling me they were slammed and they would put me on the list to come back at 3pm and get me right in, I left and came back only to be told another hour or so wait. Screw that, I went next store to Jiffy Lube...too bad.

So I ask the guy at Jiffy Lube if Fram is a good filter and he said yes, it is up there with K&N and others, so I bought one from Pep Boys before leaving and decided to have this guy install it with a new oil change as well. I ask what is the best, top of the line oil for my car, and they said the new Penzoil Premium Synthetic made specifically for Lexus, Audi, BMW, and other high end luxury autos. I consider my Camry High end Luxury auto :clap: so I told him go for it. The bill comes and is just over $100!!!!! For a freaking oil change? I look at the bill and they tried to charge me for a filter, which I told them I actually bought it next door and brought it with me. They say the 5 bottles of oil are included in your service change, but then right below they charge you for a complete swap out/upgrade of your engine's oil...um...isn't that still charging me for the oil?:headbang:

Funniest thing, was they tried to tell me their computer said my wipers should be replaced immediately and didn't have much life left...I literally JUST came from having them replaced with the top of the line wipers. Literally less than 15 minutes of having them professionally installed?

Jiffy is full of it, and for an oil place, I would have expected more lube when trying to bend me over.:facepalm:

·
ilikecamrys
Camry
3,901 Posts
I use Royal Purple & OEM filter.

TRD filters are getting too expensive..this will be my last one :[

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
Hi guys, i have 7k on the clock. I drive the car semi hard so im assuming its time for an oil change. I would like to change the oil tomorrow so what kind should i use? Mobil? Or should i stick to OEM. Is a fram filter good enough?
Penzoil Platinum 5w/30
Castrol GTX 5w/30
Mobil Clean 5000 5w/30

pick one of these and stick with it.

·
8,838 Posts
Jiffy is full of it
Simply put, u should know better to even enter there. I think Lexus dealer charge about that much for oil change, maybe U should take it to Lexus dealer next time. :lol: At least U get the free coffee/coco and other stuff in Lexus launch.

I use Royal Purple & OEM filter.

TRD filters are getting too expensive..this will be my last one :[
So U decide to stop changing filter? :lol:

·
Workin' on it.
2007 Camry SE V6
488 Posts
Yeah I usually let my mechanic change all that stuff if not myself, but I was in a rush. Funniest part was an oil change place trying to tell me my windshield wipers were bad when I literally just bought them 15 minutes before.:disappoin

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
I am doing the 5k miles or every 6mo change interval on mobil synthetic w/ mobil filter. only drive the thing 6mi per day.

09 camry 4cyl

·
8,838 Posts
but I was in a rush. Funniest part was an oil change place trying to tell me my windshield wipers were bad when I literally just bought them 15 minutes before.:disappoin
U can drive your car awhile with old oil or change it a little before the 5k miles. No need to rush.

Their computer is probably right, problem is the person input the information to the computer was stupid. :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts