Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Toyota Tacoma that has been in the family since 95 since it came out, It is a 2.4L Engine, 4WD. Im just barely getting into all the 4 wheeling stuff, so does a anyone think is worth it to turn my truck into an offroading truck, does anyone think its not worth it?

Thanks - Sadn

·
WheelinIdaho
1997 Tacoma Reg cab
306 Posts
That would depend on a lot of things, beginning with questions like:
What is your idea of an "offroading truck"?
What is the current condition / mileage?
What (if any) upgrades do you have in mind?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your truck is a worthy off-road vehicle in stock form. Depending on how much you want to invest in that old a vehicle is up to you. Also, what is the general overall conditon of the truck and how well has it been maintained is an important factor. If your just getting into off-roading go slowly. I would change all the fluids, belts, hoses etc and a good tune up. Then invest in a good set of tires, shocks and if the rims are stock, go to a larger size for the bigger tires. Due to you engine size, no larger than 31-10/50 x15.
There numerous posts on this site w/good advice based on practical experience-check them out.

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma
81 Posts
tacomas are trail running monsters, so you have the right truck to get into off roading with. however you will need bigger tires like the man said. I dont know about the larger rims... i still have mine stuck but i invested my money into a lift which was a great investment on my part, also make sure you get a skid plate, you might not think youll need one but i didnt think i did and mine is dented to hell so. other than that id get new shocks and then any protective parts you want such as new upgrade bumpers, roll cage etc etc...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input!

The trucks in great condition, been in a couple fender benders but the chrome fenders are pretty much indestructible, In every accident the other car got crushed but the tacoma was fine. 160000 miles so really good for an almost 15 year old truck.

I was planning putting some bigger tires, and a lift. Ive already ready replaced the belts, and am going to do my tune up next week. On the lift will it make my truck run any slower the higher I go or does that really matter?

It already had a front skid plate which is nice, and front manual differentials.

Does anyone know who makes a good lift kit and where to get them?

thanks - sadn

And its actually a 2.7L

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma
81 Posts
the lift you look for should be a AAL (add a leaf) better for the truck and wont cost you money down the road... as for if the truck will get slower... unfortuneatly yes, the added weight of the new lift and shocks and everything will add up, bigger tires weigh more and will put more strain on your engine, BUT all that stuff should only take away a mile or 2 off your MPG's, if you want to gain it back all you have to do is get a new exsaust and cold air intake and you should be running like normal again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How high could you get a tacoma with a added leaf? I want quite bit of clearance, atleast a 4-6" lift.

Also what does a body lift do compared to a suspension lift?

thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts