Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, (1997 Toyota Camry)

I have just a regular battery in my car. Nothing special. No optima yellow top or whatever, just a normal one (I can check the specific checks if need be, but...)

I just ordered a bunch of audio equipment:
Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 2 10" Dual 4-ohm Component Subwoofer
Q-Logic QLT-.6510SS Single 10" Truck Box-Vol=.65 cubic ft.
Profile AP700M 220W x 1 Car Amp
Profile AP740 60W x 4 Car Amp

and things that I already have are a pretty nice alpine deck, 4 nice pioneer speakers, a on dash sat radio, and an on dash nav system.

Do I need to look at geting a seperate battery for all of this gear? I am afraid I am going to run down this battery too much with all of my gear.

Any help would be great, thanks!!!

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
From those amps, I dont believe you would have much power drain. People run sotck systems with much more power draw then that. I'm not gonna say thats a good thing, because its not, but your system is not going to cause substantial dimming.

What you could do to help is to do the Big 3 wiring. If you serach for it on the serach key above you should be able to find threads about it. This will help with power levels as well. You don't nessicarily need a nice battery to run a system either, as long as it puts out a good amount of power. And given you don't have high powered equipment it should be just fine.

·
Initiated as an Outlaw...
609 Posts
Corollacrazy42 said:
From those amps, I dont believe you would have much power drain. People run sotck systems with much more power draw then that. I'm not gonna say thats a good thing, because its not, but your system is not going to cause substantial dimming.

What you could do to help is to do the Big 3 wiring. If you serach for it on the serach key above you should be able to find threads about it. This will help with power levels as well. You don't nessicarily need a nice battery to run a system either, as long as it puts out a good amount of power. And given you don't have high powered equipment it should be just fine.
I know exactly what Mcthings is talking about because I used to have a Pioneer GM-6200F 4-channel amp with the JL Audio E1800D Mono amp. My headlights was dimming so bad I had to use the high beams on the highway. I took the 4-channel amp out now it's getting a little better, but it does dim every now-and-then. After reading this thread now I get the impression that it is my battery.

I got this battery from Advance Autoparts. Do you think I need to change it or is there something else besides the battery that I need to change.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
^ Dude, get a bigger alternator. That battery isn't going to help much if you problem is as bad as you say it is.

I had a system with a JBL GTO 755.6 amp that put out 160W RMS x 2 and 300W RMS x 1 on my 00 Camry with stock alternator and a Costco brand battery. No problems with diming at all. But I never did crank the stereo past 60% because it was just stupid loud at that point.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
You can figure out the total amp load on the system. Amps = watts/volts. The alternator will put out 70/80 amps. Just don’t run the stereo for too long with the engine off.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
From your Cardomain site, it looks like you have a V6 Camry. You can get an alternator for a Sienna or highlander with towing package or something along those lines. They have 150A alternator stock.

You could also have one custom built.

·
609 Posts
touringcamry said:
From your Cardomain site, it looks like you have a V6 Camry. You can get an alternator for a Sienna or highlander with towing package or something along those lines. They have 150A alternator stock.

You could also have one custom built.
Would something like that work for a 4 Cylinder Camry?

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
They didnt design a high powered towing alternator for the i4 engines.

I'm pretty sure it only works on a 1mzfe. However, you can get a custom one made prolly for around $400.. givertake

·
609 Posts
touringcamry said:
You would need a custom built alternator for an I4 engine. They usually run $300 and up for a good one.
Is there a website I can go to?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts