Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem. When I push the gas halfway down. My car hesistates a bit like I am tapping the pedal. I don't know what it is. It started about two days ago. Today I ran a fuel system cleaner and changed my oil (mobil 1 of course). It is still doing it. Not as bad. I notice it more when my car is cool or has been sitting for a while. It doesn't do it at full throttle. Help me out fam!!!

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
hesitates or sputters?

if hesitates - possible combustion or ignition problem

if sputters - possible distributor problem.

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn. Thanks guys. I haven't changed my fuel filter since i've had the car, or the plugs. I guess it sputters(whatever that means). I seems to go away as I drive, but only does it when giving little gas.

·
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
when it does it, do you hear sputters coming from the engine and/or tailpipe?

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. Just hesitation. Like bursts of power. I will hold it steady but it will go vroom vroom vroom. I have no clue. Not loud or anything. You get the idea.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
What did you do to it 2 days ago that make it start? Anything stupid... like race?

Just let it sit for a few hours at idle.

·
i taste like candy
49 Posts
It's your ignition... Check your spark wires.

I had the same problem, I bought and installed a new fuel filter, nothing. Afterwrds, I did a bit more tests and it came down to either spraks or wires. The spraks were dry and tan so it had to be the wires. Went down to local pep boys got wires and spraks for like $65. the car runs like a kitten..

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
TheMajesticking said:
Damn. Thanks guys. I haven't changed my fuel filter since i've had the car, or the plugs. I guess it sputters(whatever that means). I seems to go away as I drive, but only does it when giving little gas.
nah, its not ur fuel filter. those thing last forever

·
i taste like candy
49 Posts
...What happend to me is the car stumbled when I put a load on it. The only way i could make it up hill was to down shift into 2nd and keep the revs up. Mejestick I assume the car only does this when its in gear/drive?

·
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
definitely sparkplug related - if changing the wires doesn't work, get a diagnostic and rule out your distributor cap/coil.

·
Naturally Aggravated
77 Posts
I don't know about that whole fuel filter lasting forever thing. Some bad gas can mess up your day real quick there. Sounds to me like you are due for a complete tune up anyway (depending on your mileage). Plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter, maybe check the timing... All that crap, and I'll bet your problem just vanishes! If not, you have ruled out all the cheap stuff, and when you fix the real problem it'll run like new! Like I say, depending on the mileage...

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought the guy I bought the car from got that done already. I could be wrong. If not, then I guess that could be the case.

I forgot to mention something. This started months ago: When I only let the car warm up for a short period of time and go to hit the gas, the car goes very slow. It gains speed, just very slowly. Once it warms up I'm good.

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No. It's not at all normal. Out of my 3 cams. This is a big difference from normal. How can I put this.
It takes about 5 seconds to get to get to 30mph when it usually takes about 2.5. LOL

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really have no clue what it is. Yesterday it was worse. The car was warm so it wasnt' that. Last night I cleaned the Air Filter. It rode better. It only did it once and it wasn't bad. The only two things I can come up with is a tranny flush or new plugs. Are you saying I need a tune-up?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts