Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was visiting my Grandma last night and she says "wait here I have something for you." She goes to her bedroom and comes back with a wallet. She tells me that it was my Grandfathers, he passed away when I was younger over 15 years ago. So I open it up and start going through it, his licence is still there, as is his social insurance card and a few other things, then low and behold I see this Toyota Owners Club card. I was puzzled, I said to my Grandma, "I didn't know Grandpa had a Toyota?" She said "oh yes, he bought one of their pickups the year you were born (1978), when they first came out". "He loved that little truck" she said, "but I had to sell it after he passed."

Needless to say I had no idea he even had a Toyota, let alone one of their trucks. I assume it was a Hilux since they were introduced in 78. I thought that was kinda cool. I guess owning a Toyota pickup is in my blood, ha.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Dude- if you could look up the old Registration cards I have a buddy that can locate that truck by the VIN... let me know... that would be pretty cool to buy it back and have your grandpas old truck...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pretty cool If he was alive today he may be still driving it. Also if he was alive he may be on TN. I wonder what the cost new in 78?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
My mother got me started on Toyotas. She had an older corolla that she ended up trading for a Camry when I started to drive. Grandparents each had a Corolla after seeing how few problems she had, and trading them for Camrys as well when it was time. My grandfather's actually was sold to a guy that fixed them up and took them to south america (so it's probably still going! lol) Mom then traded the Camry for a RAV4 when the camry started needing lots of engine work. I'd swear I've seen the same one running around since then (unique rust spot on the rear quarter panel above the bumper). :lol:

I bought a tercel that I traded for my corolla when it needed head gasket work (minumum) after the salesman told me to "bring it back when it needs engine work". I told them it was going through a quart of oil each week. I may be halucinating but I thought I saw it couple times after that. I was rear ended stopping for construction on the highway that just popped the passenger side bumper corner out from the quarter panel. So unless that's a common damage..... :lol: And now I have my Tacoma. So that's 10 in my family of 3 alone.... :clap:

·
Registered
641 Posts
My dad had a Corina that he bought new in the 70's, but other than that, it's been all me. (Probably 15 or so over the last 15 years):D

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
1,461 Posts
In my family, it was the opposite. I bought my first 4Runner in '94, and since then, my dad has had 3 4Runners (94, 98 and 03). My Dad did have an old Ford Courier in the 80's, but other than that he was always a sports car guy (he has a 1959 Porsche 356 to compliment the 4Runner).

You should see if Grams could produce a picture of the old pickup.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Toyota's don't run in my family, but I did inherit my need for speed from my Father. He use to race cars, motorcycles and anything else that had wheels and a motor. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree in that aspect. Perhaps I will start the trend with my children (if I ever have any).

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
Adventure North:

I'm so friggin glad you started this thread! My dad and I were just talking about this. He said to me, maybe one day you'll have a son, and he'll get a Yota and wheel it like I did! He originally had a '72 Landcruiser. He broke his back at his job and had to stop wheeling so he sold it and bought a pontiac grand am, which he quickly realized he hated. So he bought the '91 Toyota pickup that I traded in for my '06.

Here's some pictures of it.

Here's when it was still fairly new:

This is what it looked like when he sold it, this picture almost made me shed a few tears:

Here he is boggin it:

And here's a pretty good example of why you shouldn't use hooks...remember folks these trucks actually had real metal for body panels. I could just imagine what this would of done to one of our trucks.

·
Registered
380 Posts
First Toyota in my family here too. Everyone else is Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

I notice in those pictures the phone number starts at 376. Same exchange here too.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Rodge said:
Adventure North:

I'm so friggin glad you started this thread! My dad and I were just talking about this. He said to me, maybe one day you'll have a son, and he'll get a Yota and wheel it like I did! He originally had a '72 Landcruiser. He broke his back at his job and had to stop wheeling so he sold it and bought a pontiac grand am, which he quickly realized he hated. So he bought the '91 Toyota pickup that I traded in for my '06.

Here's some pictures of it.

Here's when it was still fairly new:

This is what it looked like when he sold it, this picture almost made me shed a few tears:

Here he is boggin it:

And here's a pretty good example of why you shouldn't use hooks...remember folks these trucks actually had real metal for body panels. I could just imagine what this would of done to one of our trucks.

:drool: I loved my '72...:( Looks like he dropped a fiberglass tub on at some point.

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
cddallara said:
:drool: I loved my '72...:( Looks like he dropped a fiberglass tub on at some point.
That thing had soo much work done to it. I think he had it repainted like half a dozen times. Speaking of the top, he had it painted at one point and wanted to let it cure right before he reinstalled it, and on the way home it came flying off the trailer. There use to be a 4" cast iron pipe as the front and rear bumper. He had a hydraulic front and back end on it. Oh yeah, did I mention a Chevy small block under the hood? :naughty:

Adventure North:

I think I might post these pics up on TTORA and see if anyone from the PA chapter has it. :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
DANG I love the Land cruiser... Rodge and AN- offer still on the table, if you can find out te VIN, my cop friend can find them for you... who knows, maybe they are for sale for a price!

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pointerDixie214 said:
DANG I love the Land cruiser... Rodge and AN- offer still on the table, if you can find out te VIN, my cop friend can find them for you... who knows, maybe they are for sale for a price!
Appreciate the offer but that means asking your cop friend to break the law. Long story, but I know a cop that was fired for giving out a girls info to his friend, cop didn't know but the friends intentions where less then noble. That's the short version of a bad story.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess I'll be the ancestor for the "Toyota genes" in our family. I bought my Land Cruiser in 1968, and I still own it and drive it regularly! It hasn't been stock for more than 30 years however. My oldest son just bought a 2006 Tundra and my daughter bought my 4wd 2002 Tacoma so I could buy a manual shift 2006 Tacoma.....Still working on my second son--he drives a J**P. :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
29 Participants
el_smurfo
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing