Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boosting 15 psi :)
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! got my MR2 back a while ago, and it is great!

Recently though, i hear a ringing (for lack of a better word) at idle and in 1st gear. (while im not accelerating or decelerating)...

i have breifly looked over my engine bay for anything loose, but didnt notice anything.

Any ideas? thoughts? sounds like the heat sheild might be loose but i tugged on it a bit and it doesnt move, its on there good. I just want to know if something is wrong so i can fix it before it turns into something big.

·
Registered
219 Posts
did you have dave install a spec clutch with the swap? my throughout bearing started rattling a couple of weeks later. i was worried then one day i pushed in the clutch and it went away. as soon as i let out the clutch i could hear it again. its been fine since. just got used to the noise. i really only notice it at drive-thru's. usually the exhaust drowns out the noise.

·
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, i had dave install a spec stage 3 clutch and fidanza flywheel.

Is this noise common for a throwout bearing? Do i need to have something tightened up? Im really worried about this and it is costing me track time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i had read some other people post about their throughout bearings rattling too. most people recommended using a oem bearing instead of the SPEC one. i've put around 6k miles and several trips to autox, dragstrip on it with no problems. what i came across most people just dealt with the noise since to change the bearing is almost as much PITA as swapping clutches.

did u try depressing the clutch to see if it quieted the noise?

·
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems so strange to me that SPEC would design a part that was inferior to oem.

Well i can hear the ringing noise when the clutch is in at idle a bit, but it is most audible when not moving, clutch out, and giving it about 2% throttle. the ringing just kind of annoys me and makes my car sound like a POS.

I might just go through all the work to replace the bearing when im not busy with school, like spring break, or this summer. I guess i have to live witht the noise until then.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's not necessarily inferior, could just be a little different. When you start getting into performance transmission parts the noises you hear start changing a little bit.

·
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the general consensus is that this is normal? and my MR2 isnt going to explode?

Im thinking of taking it to the track this weekend ^^

·
Registered
219 Posts
....UPDATE.....

hey drifting dane, did you figure out that noise. i meant to tell you mine is gone now. i guess it just needed to get broken in. i pretty much havent heard it since i got the car back from the shop in feb. it might have stopped earlier but i never noticed it. i would guess i put around 5k miles on it b4 it disappeared.

·
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL mine is as prominent as ever ><

I have put about 5-6K miles on my MR2 since the swap (but almost all of those are highway miles)

Your story gives me hope that the ringing will disappear.

·
Registered
219 Posts
its wierd b/c just one day i was sitting in the drive thru and thought my car seemed quieter than normal. like something was missing. then it hit me that the rattle was gone. since then i have been trying to listen for it but never heard it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts