Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I want to apologize for not know much about cars. I also tried searching the forum for my problem, but couldn't find the answer. So anyway, I drive a 1992 Camry LE. A few people and I feel that it might be a little high for the car to run at almost 4000rpm (3750rpm?) when I'm going at 70mph. Is that high and is something wrong with the car? Or actually, maybe some of you '92 LE model owners could tell me the rpm for your car at about 70mph; that might help.

Also, I only get about 20-21mpg for gas, driving a combination of street and freeway. I don't think I drive that agressively. My car has a K&N air filter if that makes a difference. Is that gas mileage low? Thanks in advance.

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
Just a wild guess, but is your overdrive off? I don't even know if the LE had the overdrive button, but that might be the problem. Good luck.
edit: if your overdrive is off, there will be an orange light below the P R N D 2 L that says o/d off. To turn it back on, push the button on the shifter in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you try to go above 70 do the RPM's increase without switching gears? Sounds to me like your 4th is out. Do you have O/D off? its that little button on the shifter. If its off turn it on.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
I'd say the same as them, Check your O/D button.

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
1,223 Posts
yeah, like what they said, im around 2900 RPM in the 75mph range.

what about the ECT? mine isn't even hooked up on my camry atm, but could that also make a drastic change in RPM's too?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
yeah sounds like O/D is turned off or the trans is goin. those are about the only things it could be. Unless you ahve changed out the wheels and tires and using d=some kind of really low profile tires on the factory 14 in wheels. Even then 4000 is way high. ECT will not have any affect on highway RPM. it only changes the shift points of the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, wow, I feel so stupid. You guys were right. It was the overdrive button. Unfortunately, there was no light or any indication that it was off, so I didn't notice. I hope I didn't kill my car too much going with the overdrive off for quite some time (eh, it's salvaged anyway). Also, hopefully this will improve my gas mileage. Anyway, thanks again, everybody. It's great that you guys were so quick to help and it looks like I've got a new forum I can lurk around in to learn stuff. You guys are awesome!

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Yeah your fuel economy should go up pretty good now. I have a V6 and am normally getting somewhere between 24-27 MPG. I havent checked it lately but it was somewhere around taht last time I did when the gas prices started going up really bad after Katrina.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
my V6 gets between 21-31 ....depending on how i drive, and how much i hit the highway...

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,047 Posts
the auto 4 banger in that year was only rated for 20 city 28 highway so his mileage isn't that bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts