Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, A qualify mechanic told me that i should not use synthetic oil in my car, because my engine has 80,000 km on it and conventional oil is thick, so synthentic oil will bleed through the seals and leak. So is this true ?
Thanks

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
There can sometimes be leaks in the engine that old conventional oil plugs up. Synthetic oil can clean these deposits and cause leaks.

I started putting synthetic oil in my engine around 70000 miles/113000km and nothing bad happened. Though I totaled my car with 81000miles / 130000km so I don't know what would have happened in the long run.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I believe its fine if you change from dino oil to synthetic as long as you don't go back to dino oil again. Also, just watch for any potential leaks as already stated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
If the engine doesn't leak oil now, it probably won't with synthetic either. If the engine had a leak now synthetic might make it worse, but why would you use expensive Mobil 1 on a leaky engine.
I've switched from dino to synthetic and back again on many of the cars and trucks i have owned (10 in all) and i have never noticed any ill effects from doing that. Sometimes i even add 1 qt of mobil 1 to 4 qts of dino at oil change time and again, there's no effect. Except the engine seems to run a little smoother.

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
I use BLEND. I put in 3 quarts of conventional 5W30 and one quart of 10W30 synthetic in my V6 Camry. Currently has 103k miles. Started doing it at 92k... Did not have leaks then. Don't have leaks now but my engine is clean from inside... :thumbup: and also at start ups I have less wear and tear... :thumbup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
marc780 said:
If the engine doesn't leak oil now, it probably won't with synthetic either. If the engine had a leak now synthetic might make it worse, but why would you use expensive Mobil 1 on a leaky engine.
I've switched from dino to synthetic and back again on many of the cars and trucks i have owned (10 in all) and i have never noticed any ill effects from doing that. Sometimes i even add 1 qt of mobil 1 to 4 qts of dino at oil change time and again, there's no effect. Except the engine seems to run a little smoother.
I don't think ANYONE would recommend switching back and forth. What purpose does that serve? Seems pointless and I have never ever heard this recommended by any mechanic.

·
SEcond Rate Products
406 Posts
the danger is when the synthetic oil (which has strong detergents and whatnot in it) begins to break up deposits created by the conventional oil...

the deposits will sometimes cake up over years and once they are broken free will clog up oil passageways, bearings, or even the oil pump itself... causing a huge mess..

i've seen it before, multiple times, and would never switch an old engine to synthetic cold-turkey... it's just asking for troubles...

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
RAV4EVR said:
I use BLEND. I put in 3 quarts of conventional 5W30 and one quart of 10W30 synthetic in my V6 Camry. Currently has 103k miles. Started doing it at 92k... Did not have leaks then. Don't have leaks now but my engine is clean from inside... :thumbup: and also at start ups I have less wear and tear... :thumbup:
4qts?? I use 4qts in my 4cyl... shouldn't you be using around 5qts??

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
I don't think ANYONE would recommend switching back and forth. What purpose does that serve?
Sometimes i would put in synthetic if i were driving to Vegas in August or to Grand Canyon in the spring, it just makes me feel better. Of course i'd run synthetic all the time if i were a rich man. But i can't stand to let the oil go more than 3 or 4000 miles without changing no matter how good i know the oil is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts