Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,153 Posts
I do not know conclusively so consider my statements "armchair diagnostics". I'd be worried about the metal "dust" forming from the physical contact between the rotor and the distributor cap contact points. That "dust" would be conductive and potentially cause electrical issues.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,052 Posts
If Toyota put it there, then you need it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i believe it's a heat shield and not a dust cover. u could use some other sheet metal, cut it to similar dimension and bolt it on. it doesn't have to look pretty , it just need to be there the shield the heat from the engine getting to the dizzie.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,153 Posts
i believe it's a heat shield and not a dust cover. u could use some other sheet metal, cut it to similar dimension and bolt it on. it doesn't have to look pretty , it just need to be there the shield the heat from the engine getting to the dizzie.
No.

The part is literally called a "cover, dust proof": https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~cover~dust~proof~19121-11080.html

And if it had a significantly heat shielding effect it would actually make things worse because of where it sits. It does not sit between the engine and the distributor. It sits between the distributor internals and the rotor. So if it truly acted as a heat shield it would increase the temperature of the distributor internals.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,571 Posts
You don't want dust on the coil or it may increase arcing and cause a weak spark. I think putting something metal there in its place would not be good because it could conduct electricity away from where it should go. The distributor will probably work without the cover there temporarily, but you probably want it there long term. If it just has a crack then you can probably just keep using it without any ill effects.

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
195 Posts
I have seen many oil soaked, ripped, and missing dust covers, have yet to diagnose one as the cause of any problems.

·
Registered
1993 Corolla
198 Posts
How badly is it cracked? You could probably get one from a salvage yard or order one from the link above. Either way it is cheap insurance. They put it there for a reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts