Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am not a fan of the Start/Stop technology, I may be a bit more receiving of the idea if I knew that Toyota uses the same Starter on both the V6 and the hybrid versions. I would expect that the Hybrid version would get a harder workout on the starters than the V6 version with Stop/Start . Anybody know if they share the same part number? I tried to research this, but so many different parts came up that I'm still uncertain.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
992 Posts
Easiest way I've found to corroborate interchangeability is via Rock Auto. Compare the repair part numbers between the 2. And many of the aftermarket suppliers give the OEM p/n in the "details" pop up in RA, where you can compare the OEM numbers as well. For the latter, remember that OEM Toyota p/ns can be a range of numbers, not just one... changes in computer tracking system, running changes, design corrections, model of vehicle can all result in more than one number for an OEM part.

·
Registered
392 Posts
While I am not a fan of the Start/Stop technology, I may be a bit more receiving of the idea if I knew that Toyota uses the same Starter on both the V6 and the hybrid versions. I would expect that the Hybrid version would get a harder workout on the starters than the V6 version with Stop/Start . Anybody know if they share the same part number? I tried to research this, but so many different parts came up that I'm still uncertain.
Hybrid doesn't have a conventional starter that's in the gas only Highlander - it's uses MG1 which is one of the two electric motors in the hybrid trans-axle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Correct, no starter on hybrids. One of the traction motors starts the engine (and is way more powerful than needed for that job). The stop-start experience on a hybrid is far more seamless than on a gas-only car that uses the starter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts