Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Banned
224 Posts
how do you plan to repair it?

i made a bad mistake with mine. it was just dirty - no damage - until i cleaned it with alcohol. bummer - took the "paint" off of it. i thought it was dirt coming off so i didn't quit...

anybody know how to put more paint on the wheel?

· Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well it is the result of my dad putting a cheap steering wheel cover on, it cut into the leather. It wasn't the bad, but the biggest tear is where my hand is most. Anyways I planning on sanding it with 400/600 grit. Cover tears with super glue gel and sand it with 240 grit. Smooth it out, then use filler to even out the wheel, after that use Thompson water seal. Once that is done put Adhesion promoter. Finally use Ruste-Oleum gloss gray to paint the wheel and shift knob. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac..._/N-25h9?counter=9&itemIdentifier=550010_0_0_

· Registered
20 Posts
how do you plan to repair it?

i made a bad mistake with mine. it was just dirty - no damage - until i cleaned it with alcohol. bummer - took the "paint" off of it. i thought it was dirt coming off so i didn't quit...

anybody know how to put more paint on the wheel?
I dont think that its paint, its dye put in in the tanning process. I work at a leather tannery, we dye leather any color that you can think of. I would think at this point you could color it somehow, but I'm thinking paint probably isnt the way.

· Banned
224 Posts
to the OP:

you could just go to a junkyard and buy another wheel...

but if you do BE CAREFUL of the airbag - they can injure, even kill, when they go off accidentally!

i would look for instructions on how to disarm the airbag in an avalon before i pulled the wheel...

· Registered
Black 95 Avalon XLS
300 Posts
to the OP:

you could just go to a junkyard and buy another wheel...

but if you do BE CAREFUL of the airbag - they can injure, even kill, when they go off accidentally!

i would look for instructions on how to disarm the airbag in an avalon before i pulled the wheel...
Last I checked, airbags in cars like these were just plugged in with 2 wires( + and ground)... just make sure the battery is disconnected when unplugging/plugging back in the airbag. Also, if you hook up the battery with an airbag disconnected, it will normally throw a light up on the dash, and require a trip to the dealer to get it fixed(not sure in this car though).

· Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Complete. I think it turn out really good. It actually feels smooth to touch. Here are the pics:

The part on the bottom left where the wheel connects was the most difficult area to get smooth as you can see in the picture.

The paint turns out to be a little bit lighter, but I think it looks better that way.
Tell me what you guys think.:thumbsup:

· Registered
1998 Toyota Avalon
97 Posts
By the look of the grey paint, I think you should have gone with "sand." The two shades of grey just don't look right together, they're too close in tone... yet not close enough.

I'll have to try this though. My wheel shows the 157,000 miles of wear, it shows it well but shows it none the less. Maybe paint my wheel a different color, give it more accent. Right now I have tan leather with a grey dash and grey control panels and rosewood dash insert thingies. I could paint the wheel brown or tan, add some pizazz.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.