Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Avalon. The power steering pump is loud when first started and the belt squeals when first started as well.(Worse if it's cold). I replaced the power steering pump and then the rack and the problem is still there. Is there a power steering fluid screen or filter somewhere that could be clogged? I can't tell if there is a screen built into the power steering reservoir. Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a 1996 Avalon. The power steering pump is loud when first started and the belt squeals when first started as well.(Worse if it's cold). I replaced the power steering pump and then the rack and the problem is still there. Is there a power steering fluid screen or filter somewhere that could be clogged? I can't tell if there is a screen built into the power steering reservoir. Thanks.
Did you also replace the belt?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. It is really behaving like it's being starved of fluid when it first starts up. Yesterday I topped up the fluid (it was only slightly down). Then when I first started it, in addition to the belt squealing (I could see the belt skipping on the power steering pump pulley), there was a large amount of frothy power steering fluid that came back in the return line then overflowed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks. It is really behaving like it's being starved of fluid when it first starts up. Yesterday I topped up the fluid (it was only slightly down). Then when I first started it, in addition to the belt squealing (I could see the belt skipping on the power steering pump pulley), there was a large amount of frothy power steering fluid that came back in the return line then overflowed.

It does seem like something is blocking the PS fluid, but I don't know much about this system. My problem was leaks because of the old rubber hoses attached at the reservoir. I replaced the supply hose, and I replaced the 3 rubber return line hoses. When I would first start the car after replacing one of the hoses, it would really make that whining noise that PS systems do at times. The reservoir would be very low, and then after I filled it up the whining noise stopped. The return line fluid was frothy going into the reservoir for a while, but everything smoothed out. That reservoir is pretty easy to remove if you want to check it out and make sure there isn't a blockage there from the return line to the supply line.

·
イリジウム
15,020 Posts
Yes, there is a strainer of some sort at the bottom. That's probably why the reservoir is so expensive. You can always rig an inline transmission filter on there, making sure the direction is correct of course if you find a way to cut out that bottom strainer/filter, assuming it's not the pump that's the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.