Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
McLovin'
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like it how my gf's car locks when the car is put into drive (toyota corolla) and was wondering if there is a way to have our locks do the same.

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
my aftermarket alarm does that automatically. I do not believe you can have the stock keyless do that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes if you have automatic

Yes if you have a automatic, no if you have a manual,
at least thats what my dealer told me when I went in to have it turned on with my manual tranny.

Michael S.

·
05 TRD Sport Tacoma
755 Posts
I have an automatic and they certainly do not auto-lock...

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,129 Posts
Is it an automatic? I just assumed that all the automatics locked when in drive, I know my 6spd doesn't.
Nope. My auto doesn't do it. This function wasn't built in.
Yes if you have a automatic, no if you have a manual,
at least thats what my dealer told me when I went in to have it turned on with my manual tranny.
I bet it has more to do with the factory alarm system than just being an automatic. I can't see how they would build it into our vehicles with an auto, and not turn the function on. Doesn't make sense.

Now, if you have the factory alarm installed I'm sure you could do it. With our previous Toyota's, the factory alarm had numerous optional settings...auto door locking, turning on/off the beeping when arming/disarming alarm, and other settings.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
Nope. My auto doesn't do it. This function wasn't built in.

I bet it has more to do with the factory alarm system than just being an automatic. I can't see how they would build it into our vehicles with an auto, and not turn the function on. Doesn't make sense.

Now, if you have the factory alarm installed I'm sure you could do it. With our previous Toyota's, the factory alarm had numerous optional settings...auto door locking, turning on/off the beeping when arming/disarming alarm, and other settings.
Is there an online manual for the factory alarm?

·
Registered
228 Posts
^^ lol.
My viper alarm does it for me.

·
I don't feel tardy...
77 Posts
I know the double cab has a little switch inside the back doors to prevent them from opening from the inside. Helps keep the drunk college kids from jumping out @ 60mph :lol:

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
Most aftermarket alarms will auto lock it once you put it in drive, or if you have remote start, when you put in the key and depress the brake pedal.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My wifes car (manual, btw) does that, and I hate it.
What happens after a crash, you are trapped inside and need help?

·
Tis da Black Pearl...Taco
370 Posts
My wifes car (manual, btw) does that, and I hate it.
What happens after a crash, you are trapped inside and need help?
That would be an absolute worst case senario. What are the odds of being in a wreck where you are disabled or knocked out and it didn't bust at least one of the side windows. Even in that case, anyone nearby that would be physically fit enough to help would be able to break the glass. It doesn't take much to break the side glass.

I would love to have this auto-lock feature. A lot of times I forget to lock my doors, and in case you haven't heard, Memphis isn't exactly the safest place to be.

·
Never Roam Alone
06 Taco
1,065 Posts
i would like to have this feature but dont mind not having it. i think someone need to write a DIY. give PB something to do

·
i <3 Miley Sirus.
2005 toyota tacoma
1,280 Posts
same here. my auto. doesnt auto-lock.

that's why i have my gf to do it. haha she's my auto-lock.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The factory alarm allows you to program the locks for either auto or passive locking. Here's the reprogramming instruction if you're interested:

IGNITION-CONTROLLED AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCK/ UNLOCK
When all doors are closed, the RS3200 is factory set to automatically lock the vehicle s door when the ignition key is turned to ON or START, and unlock them (open or not) when the key is turned back to ACC or LOCK. Follow the procedure below to change this feature s operation mode.

1. Before you begin: Open the driver s door and remove the key from the ignition switch.
2. Start the programming procedure. (Complete these steps within 30 seconds.)
a. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it from LOCK to ON 5 times (ending at ON).
b. The tail and marker lights flash 1 time, and the buzzer chirps 1 time.
c. The status monitor sLED (or the engine immobilizer system s LED) turns on for 30 seconds.
Note: If the system does not activate the lights and buzzer, start over.
3. Select the operating mode and complete the programming steps.
a. Close the door: Ignition controlled door locks on.

Close, then open and close the door: Ignition controlled door locks off. b. Turn the ignition key back to lock.
b. The tail and marker lights flash 1 time, and the buzzer chirps 1 time if the system was set for IG door lock control ON, twice for IG door lock control OFF. If this does not
happen, start over: otherwise, programming is now complete.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
That would be an absolute worst case senario. What are the odds of being in a wreck where you are disabled or knocked out and it didn't bust at least one of the side windows. Even in that case, anyone nearby that would be physically fit enough to help would be able to break the glass. It doesn't take much to break the side glass.

I would love to have this auto-lock feature. A lot of times I forget to lock my doors, and in case you haven't heard, Memphis isn't exactly the safest place to be.
I can see the reason for it if you live in a dangerous area. But where we live, it is very safe pretty much everywhere we go. Extremely low crime rates.
So this locking thing just bugs me. Every time I drive that car, I stop somewhere, then walk around the car to get the kid out just to realize the damn thing locked itself like a bank after hours. Same thing with the trunk.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts

True.... I got robbed in memphis and numerous classmates where held up by gunpoint several times..... a few had their cars stolen/set on fire.

Whew!!!! cool place to visit though... not a great place to live, IMO.

my fathers truck and new Tahoe lock at say 10mph and then unlock when you put her in Park once you've stopped.

·
Tis da Black Pearl...Taco
370 Posts
True.... I got robbed in memphis and numerous classmates where held up by gunpoint several times..... a few had their cars stolen/set on fire.

Whew!!!! cool place to visit though... not a great place to live, IMO.

my fathers truck and new Tahoe lock at say 10mph and then unlock when you put her in Park once you've stopped.
Yeah, it kinda sucks living around Memphis. If you are a fan of blues or rock and roll, its definately a cool place to visit.

I can't wait to get out of Memphis. The crime is spreading like a disease everywhere around here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts