Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the AC automatically turns on when you set the ventilation to any of the 3 modes that include the windshield. These are windshield/feet, windshield only, and windshield/rear window.

Is there a way to disable the AC from coming on automatically? When I set it to these modes I can tell the compressor is coming on. The AC button does not light up, so I can’t just turn it off.

I want to be able to control when I want to pull humidity out of the air, and not just have the AC on all the time when I’m blowing air at the windshield.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Following, I want to know too. I hate how when you turn the temp control all the way to the coldest setting the A/C comes on automatically.

Dave.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Following, I want to know too. I hate how when you turn the temp control all the way to the coldest setting the A/C comes on automatically.

Dave.
Hi Dave

It is my understanding that there is some level of customization in regards to the car's features and system from a program called Toyota Techstream.

However, I did some research about what things we can customize on a 2017 Camry, and I didn't see any options for controlling whether or not the AC comes on automatically (either when set on the lowest temperature or blowing at the windshield).

I wonder if there is any other solutions?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
An A/C by design will remove humidity form the air, which is why it is automatically turned on during defrost. The defrost wouldn't be nearly as effective otherwise. This is the way all modern cars work.

As soon as the car warms up, even when A/C is on, the defrost air will be warm. When the car warms up and windows are clear (from defrost being on), just turn off the defrost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An A/C by design will remove humidity form the air, which is why it is automatically turned on during defrost. The defrost wouldn't be nearly as effective otherwise. This is the way all modern cars work.

As soon as the car warms up, even when A/C is on, the defrost air will be warm. When the car warms up and windows are clear (from defrost being on), just turn off the defrost.

I understand that removing humidity will help defog the windshield. That being said, I find that by blowing enough air across the windshield (with the ac OFF) will also defog the windshield just fine. Therefore reducing stress on the AC system when I don’t actually need it.

Also, I tend to run my temperatures on lower settings since that’s how I prefer it. But when I go to defog and the AC turns on, it gets way too cold.

Also, another annoying feature is automatically turning the AC on with the lowest temperature setting. I always have to be so careful to not accidentally turn the temperature too low and automatically set the AC on when I don’t want to.

It all comes down to not having the AC compressor come on when I don’t want/need it to and avoid additional stress on the engine/belts/ac system

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that removing humidity will help defog the windshield. That being said, I find that by blowing enough air across the windshield (with the ac OFF) will also defog the windshield just fine. Therefore reducing stress on the AC system when I don’t actually need it.

Also, I tend to run my temperatures on lower settings since that’s how I prefer it. But when I go to defog and the AC turns on, it gets way too cold. Then I have the adjust the temperature up, and then when I’m done defogging, I have to turn the temperature back down since the AC is off.

And then all of the sudden the windshield quickly fogs up again, because I can’t send air in that direction without having the AC constantly on! It would be a lot more useful to send air to the windshield without the AC on, and if the moisture is too high and I can temporarily turn on the AC till it’s gone.

Also, another annoying feature is automatically turning the AC on with the lowest temperature setting. I always have to be so careful to not accidentally turn the temperature too low and automatically set the AC on when I don’t want to.

It all comes down to not having the AC compressor come on when I don’t want/need it to and avoid additional stress on the engine/belts/ac system

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Daniel, that's the way all cars work these days. There is a reason for that, because it works best for the overwhelming majority of vehicles and owners. I personally have never encountered the problems you describe and I appreciate how much faster the defrost works with the A/C on.

If there was a way to allow you to change it, I (and others) would tell you how, but I don't know of any way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On my other cars, I've installed a switch that opens the circuit to the compressor.. I haven;'t done it yet on my 2017 Camry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best way to prolong the A/C life is to run the system as much as possible. This keeps oil circulating through the system. This is one of the reasons automatic systems run the A/C year round even in winter. If it's too cold outside the computer won't engage the compressor even if the A/C is turned on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have another question for those who better understand this series (mine's a 2015 LE).

When I adjust the AC temp warmer, to save gas and wear-and tear, it seems like not just the compressor is running less, but that the hot air blend is kicking in.
I figured this out by switching off the AC while the compressor had cycled off and then immediately turning the temp knob cooler (without turning it to the last click) and the air temperature seemed to get cooler as the knob was turned cooler (the compressor did not cycle).

So if I'm right about the air blend mixing when the AC is on, can the system be programmed to work the compressor less but without any hot air being blended in?
It just seems inefficient for the system to start blending in hot air before compressor operation has at least reached a zero-percent duty cycle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts