Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace 1999 prerunner 2.7L ext.cab that I lost in Hurricane Wilma.
T he std. Tacoma seems to have a 2.4 L. My question is, will there be much difference in power and acceleration between the 2 engines? Auto tranny. If you have driven both please give me your opinion.
I don't tow anything larger than a 17' Boston Whaler.
I assume the tow package that I took off my 1999 prerunner will also fit a st.Tacoma ext cab.

thanks Gents

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Theres a little bit of a power difference, but nothing major.
Personally, Id go with a V6. The 4-banger is all about gas milage and I think that for pulling your boat you'd be a lot happier with a V6.

·
Registered
435 Posts
4cyl

I have one with the v6 and one with the 2.7.I have pulled my 17ft basstracker with both.The 4cy will pull it fine except for extended periods going up steep hills.It lugs it down a bit.On moderate hills it just dose fine.When I go fishing I take the one with the most gas in it at the time.if you want something you can whip around people and go fast with the boat behind get the v6.For me I take my time no matter which one I drive.

·
Registered
15 RAV4 LE AWD
334 Posts
I would also recommend the V6 my 98 Taco was a 4- banger it was slow as shit and got terrible gas mileage. When I was hauling my motocross bike it seemed to labor a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts