Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First, I'd like to say happy holidays to everyone. I live in the metro NY region and am looking for a 06 Highlander Hybrid AWD Limited. I've received a quote of $38639 for that model plus the nav system and mats. Is that a good price? Thanks in advance!

- nyafan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took the plunge!

Well, I took the plunge! I got the Highlander Hybrid AWD Limited w/ mats and nav for $38599, before taxes and fees.

I drove ~45 miles last night, mostly highway (70 MPH), and got 25.6 MPG! I'm VERY impressed, especially after reading about the lower MPG in the winter. I think the screen said it was 42 degrees outside.

The only complaint I have is with the homelink system, it's not compatible with all garage door openers. At least, I couldn't get it to work, but I'll try again later.

BTW, did anybody's dealer make them sign a piece of paper saying you agree not to install any accessories on your vehicle?

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
There are two ways to match Homelink. It depends whether your garage door using rolling code or not.

As for the signing bit, I've never heard of that. Why would they make you sign that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
nyafan said:
Well, I took the plunge! I got the Highlander Hybrid AWD Limited w/ mats and nav for $38599, before taxes and fees.

I drove ~45 miles last night, mostly highway (70 MPH), and got 25.6 MPG! I'm VERY impressed, especially after reading about the lower MPG in the winter. I think the screen said it was 42 degrees outside.

The only complaint I have is with the homelink system, it's not compatible with all garage door openers. At least, I couldn't get it to work, but I'll try again later.

BTW, did anybody's dealer make them sign a piece of paper saying you agree not to install any accessories on your vehicle?
Congrats, nyafan!! I took delivery of mine Dec. 30. Love it!! Isn't it the greatest! Last time I checked, I was getting 25.6 mpg, too. I'm quite happy with that. Also having same problem with the garage door opener. Did you get yours to work?

I didn't have to sign anything like that. Just had to sign something that said I agree that the vehicle includes all features I asked for. Don't see why they think they should have any control over what accessories you install. Am looking into getting satellite radio. Can't think of anything else I'd want to install at the moment. Still learning how to use the nav. Enjoy your HiHy!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
nyafan said:
I sure didn't sign anything like that, and I've already installed 3 accessories myself. Did they make you sign one? If so, did they give you a reason for it? I suppose if you're leasing the car rather than buying it they might require something like that, but if you're buying the car outright then I don't see how they can enforce something like that.

-Bruce

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats to you too HighHyGirl. Wow, we both took delivery on the same day!
I'm averaging 25 MPG now ... I've had to punch it a little, but I'm still impressed with the mileage since it's only been in the mid 30s to low 40s here in New York.

The nav system is awesome. The only gotcha is you are only supposed to enter destinations when the vehicle is stopped, so changing destinations while you're driving isn't supposed to be possible. The key word here is supposed ... I found an article elsewhere that shows you how to override that limitation.

I have XM (MyFi) in my vehicle, works very nicely. I stuck the antenna on the top of the back door/liftgate, about 1.5" from the inner edge so when you open the door, the antenna doesn't get crushed.

It turns out I have to hold down the programmed button (the one of the far left) for about 5 seconds, then the garage door opens!

They said I had to sign the agreement so I wouldn't put any electrical accesories into the vehicle that might damage the hybrid system.

HighHyGirl said:
Congrats, nyafan!! I took delivery of mine Dec. 30. Love it!! Isn't it the greatest! Last time I checked, I was getting 25.6 mpg, too. I'm quite happy with that. Also having same problem with the garage door opener. Did you get yours to work?

I didn't have to sign anything like that. Just had to sign something that said I agree that the vehicle includes all features I asked for. Don't see why they think they should have any control over what accessories you install. Am looking into getting satellite radio. Can't think of anything else I'd want to install at the moment. Still learning how to use the nav. Enjoy your HiHy!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess if the hybrid system gets damaged from an electrical accessory, then they won't honor the warranty? It wasn't a corporate Toyota document, just something from the dealer.

brucep said:
I sure didn't sign anything like that, and I've already installed 3 accessories myself. Did they make you sign one? If so, did they give you a reason for it? I suppose if you're leasing the car rather than buying it they might require something like that, but if you're buying the car outright then I don't see how they can enforce something like that.

-Bruce

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whoa!

:disappoin
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Wasn't asked to sign but it's probably a way to get buyers to understand that this car IS different.

Had a broken tail light and had to be replaced -- could NOT buy the standard Toyota taillight for a 2006 Highlander -- had to buy a 2006 Hybrid taillight as the electrical system is DIFFERENT! :confused:

So be very careful what you install or you will probably VOID your warranty!:thumbdown

:ugh3:
____

BTW, did anybody's dealer make them sign a piece of paper saying you agree not to install any accessories on your vehicle?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The HiHy's have the LED tail lights, so they're very different from the non-hybrid versions' tail lights.

jackdaddy said:
:disappoin
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Wasn't asked to sign but it's probably a way to get buyers to understand that this car IS different.

Had a broken tail light and had to be replaced -- could NOT buy the standard Toyota taillight for a 2006 Highlander -- had to buy a 2006 Hybrid taillight as the electrical system is DIFFERENT! :confused:

So be very careful what you install or you will probably VOID your warranty!:thumbdown

:ugh3:
____

[/quote]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a point of reference for anyone else in the market for a HiHy. These are the quotes I received in May 2006 for a 2WD Limited in Minnesota (not including tax and state fees):

MSRP $38,694
Dealer #1 with the "costco discount" $36,685
Edmund's average selling price $35,797
dealer #2 through autobytel $35,435

So I went with the autobytel deal (no hassle or haggling). It took some effort for them to find the color I wanted, but the dealer said they'll get it in this week. Including similar options and the tax credit, the hybrid version is only about $2000 more than the regular non-hybrid Highlander.

Note that during this time, Toyota is offering a 0.9% APR / 36 month financing deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
0.9% financing? WOW, I wish I could get that rate instead of the 3.9% special I got.

MN24 said:
Just a point of reference for anyone else in the market for a HiHy. These are the quotes I received in May 2006 for a 2WD Limited in Minnesota (not including tax and state fees):

MSRP $38,694
Dealer #1 with the "costco discount" $36,685
Edmund's average selling price $35,797
dealer #2 through autobytel $35,435

So I went with the autobytel deal (no hassle or haggling). It took some effort for them to find the color I wanted, but the dealer said they'll get it in this week. Including similar options and the tax credit, the hybrid version is only about $2000 more than the regular non-hybrid Highlander.

Note that during this time, Toyota is offering a 0.9% APR / 36 month financing deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
nyafan said:
0.9% financing? WOW, I wish I could get that rate instead of the 3.9% special I got.
I guess we can thank Ford for trying to move their Escape Hybrids with a 0% / 5 yr deal. So Toyota had to react.

BTW, my deal went through as planned and I've been an official HiHy owner for 24 hours now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats on the new vehicle MN24! :clap:

MN24 said:
I guess we can thank Ford for trying to move their Escape Hybrids with a 0% / 5 yr deal. So Toyota had to react.

BTW, my deal went through as planned and I've been an official HiHy owner for 24 hours now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go this price

I just bought mine and I was able to get low apr (0.9% for 36 mon) and a price of 32500 + tax in Chicagoland area for 4x4 highlander Hybrid. Decided not to go with limited edition but did get option package 1..:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts