Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to give two of my sons some basic tools as a Christmas gift. I saw this on sale at Costco. It's made in Taiwan, not in China. I've had good luck with Taiwanese made stuff. Any opinions?

·
7,094 Posts
I guess. It falls short on large 1/2 inch sockets and sockets are very costly to buy. Needs more extensions. Personally, I prefer 12 point sockets. I see no half inch extension.
Half of those sockets, esp the tiny ones, he'll never use. SAE is pretty much extinct. I really likeratcheting spanners, those are great. Even better, those that have swivel head. I bought set of half inch sockets with driver, swivel head (no swivel head in the kit) and extension size 10 through 24 12 point and that is heck of handy set.
Case will NOT hold tools in place, I promise you that. He'll have to pack rags inside and tools will still move.
If he has no tools at all, I'd rather suggest nice set of sockets+driver+extensions+swivel in metric, making sure it has 10 - 18mm, nice set of ratcheting wrenches with swivel heads and set of hand tools - pliers, needle nose, screwdrivers, channel lock, vise grip and good midsize hammer. Good vise grips, as they are super handy. And length of black pipe, as cheat bar.
That's a nice shiny kit and looks good but practical use will be about 30% of it.
oh, and buy him HFT cordless drill. SOB is amazingly powerful and has ton of torque. Battery lasts weeks and weeks.
That thing:

As strong as my hands are, I'm scared of torque it has.

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1. Those are good tools - good starter set.
2. You're buying it at Costco, so you know you'll have a good warranty on the tools.
Yes, it would be a good starter set and Costco has a great return "satisfaction guaranteed" policy. That, with the discounted price is what was getting my attention.

I really like ratcheting spanners, those are great. Even better, those that have swivel head.
Yes, I agree. I have ratcheting swivel wrenches and they are very convenient.

Case will NOT hold tools in place, I promise you that. He'll have to pack rags inside and tools will still move.
That's good to know.

If he has no tools at all, I'd rather suggest nice set of sockets+driver+extensions+swivel in metric, making sure it has 10 - 18mm, nice set of ratcheting wrenches with swivel heads and set of hand tools - pliers, needle nose, screwdrivers, channel lock, vise grip and good midsize hammer. Good vise grips, as they are super handy. And length of black pipe, as cheat bar.
They have almost no tools and usually borrow them. Yeah, I was thinking of what you suggested, but I do have a budget limit for Christmas and was trying to find a set that was a good value for the money. I might do it, though....and just get ratcheting, swivel head wrenches along with metric sockets and ratchets to start with. They both have Toyotas, so wouldn't need the SAE tools.

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.....and thanks to both of you for your opinions. That's what I wanted, especially if they differ.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
They have almost no tools and usually borrow them. Yeah, I was thinking of what you suggested, but I do have a budget limit for Christmas and was trying to find a set that was a good value for the money. I might do it, though....and just get ratcheting, swivel head wrenches along with metric sockets and ratchets to start with. They both have Toyotas, so wouldn't need the SAE tools.
You are over-thinking this. It is obviously a good deal, and in your budget, so just get it. They will use the SAE sizes around the house or other things besides their car. Those tools will likely last a lifetime.

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
That does look like a good set. The ratchets look very nice. HFT has Icon 90-tooth that might be from the same factory in Taiwan.

For comparison, I suggest you also look at the Craftsman 230pc set for $89.99. The ratchets are 45-tooth.

With Sears look for $100 back (4-installments of $25 in points) if you spend $100. You can buy other tools like 3/8” extension sets, breaker bar set, pliers, or even other household items with those $100.

Or, not sure if the $100 back is per-person or per-address, you can get a family member to help and add another $11 to EACH set. That way you get $200 back!! Woohoo!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That does look like a good set. The ratchets look very nice. HFT has Icon 90-tooth that might be from the same factory in Taiwan.

For comparison, I suggest you also look at the Craftsman 230pc set for $89.99. The ratchets are 45-tooth.

With Sears look for $100 back (4-installments of $25 in points) if you spend $100. You can buy other tools like 3/8” extension sets, breaker bar set, pliers, or even other household items with those $100.

Or, not sure if the $100 back is per-person or per-address, you can get a family member to help and add another $11 to EACH set. That way you get $200 back!! Woohoo!

The Craftsman set only has 6 combination wrenches (3 metric and 3 SAE), while the DeWalt set has 12 combination wrenches (6 metric and 6 SAE).

DeWalt set at Costco wins. Sorry.

·
Various Toyotas
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are over-thinking this. It is obviously a good deal, and in your budget, so just get it. They will use the SAE sizes around the house or other things besides their car. Those tools will likely last a lifetime.
Yep, good points.

Yes, it's possible it's the same tool factory in Taiwan that supplies both DeWalt and HFT. HFT has a lot of junk from China, but the made in Taiwan stuff I've purchased there has been good.

Will try to check out the Craftsman $100 back deal. Not sure if the four installments is just a way for them to lure people into buying the product with the idea they'll get $100 back, but in reality many customers won't wait for or will forget or never redeem the installments and that's how Craftsman makes their money back. Kind of like how companies can make money off of discounted gift cards. I'd have to really be on the ball with that to take advantage of it. I prefer instant discounts that don't require me to do anything.

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. I got a 2-installment of $20 or $25 one time (can’t remember), it was a hassle keeping track but Sears wants more store traffic I think.

Just think of the extra FREE tools that come with each tool set!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts