Toyota Nation Forum banner

Is this engine a 3S-FE or 5S-FE?

Tags
3sfe 5sfe camry
14K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  hoonigan 
#1 ·
Someone please help me out with recognizing which engine this is as the 3SFE and 5SFE looks very similar.
The mechanic who replaced the engine says its a 3SFE but to me it just looks like the 5SFE which was there before.

I'm new to the forum.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :')

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Did your mechanic get the engine from a JDM (Japan Domestic Market) supplier? If so, it probably is a 3SFE and it probably requires the use of the intake manifold from the 5SFE because sometimes the intake manifolds on the JDM engines are different. So, in other words, I have heard that it is normal to get a JDM engine and then put your original intake manifold in place of the Japanese manifold. Your mechanic said it was a 3SFE, so I would believe him. Does it feel like it has slightly less power?

#5 · (Edited)
He didn't say whether its a JDM engine or not. All parts are more or less the same after the engine replacement, intake is still the stock one.
I've done some research on the 3SFE engine and I've found that it has "2.0 16 VALVE" written on it than just "16 VALVE" on the 5SFE. But that doesn't confirm which engine is it. Isn't there any marking on the sides of the engine which indicates the code of the engine?
I got the car after my dad used it, basically the engine was replaced (it threw a rod) at that time so I don't know how the other engine performed.
The initial pull is really good and its very comfortable on low revs.
Another thing that I noticed is the engine is very loud compared to the previous one.

#6 ·
Not sure about markings on the outside of the engine, but it would make sense. What about just asking the mechanic who replaced the engine? He's the one who told you it was a 3SFE, so I'm sure he wouldn't make that up. If it was a JDM engine, then there's a 99% chance it was a 3SFE and then he had to put the original manifolds and accessories on it, since the ones from Japan are sometimes different. I think you have a 3SFE.

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah it's 3SFE, found the stamping on the rear of the block.
I've read that that the head's of the 3SFE and 5SFE are interchangeable and it looks like this 3S has got a 5SFE head on it.
I believe its a JDM engine because most of the components remain the same including the intake manifold.
More over this engine makes a lot of noise and vibrates way more than the previous 5S.
I'm sad about the fact that they made a downgrade without replacing it with a 5SFE.
What they say is "Be happy with what you have." I'll have to go with that.

Thank you guys for helping out. :')

Attachments

#9 ·
The 3S should not be more noisy or vibrate more versus the 5S. Looking at the image you posted (is that your car?) the PCV valve is pretty messed up it looks like RTV was smeared all over it in an attempt to seal and the hose is not looking so good. The vent hose going from the valve cover to the throttle body looks suspect as well.

EGR has been deleted do you have a CEL?

#10 · (Edited)
71Corolla has an eagle eye. I didn't even notice that there is no EGR valve or EGR modulator there and I wouldn't have noticed that the PCV valve does look like something is messed up where it goes into the cover (maybe it needs a new grommet?). Is there a plate covering the port into the intake manifold? If there is no port at the intake manifold, then the mechanic possibly used the intake manifold that came with the JDM. I've heard that the manifolds, among other accessories, have to be switched out with the original parts from the original motor. EDIT: your intake manifold does show 2200, which couldn't be the JDM manifold, so it looks like he did use your original.....Hmm......is there a port with a plate covering it? If yes, the plate needs to be removed and the EGR components installed.

#11 ·
^^^ Good eyes guys. My bad about the engine size. It looks like there is a plug over the EGR opening. With that missing, I wonder if he even has a VSV valve below the manifold where the sun don't shine. It looks like all the smog crap has been removed. The TB vacuum ports are plugged too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.