Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tongue weight of the trailer dry is 200 lbs. Albeit my 4" rise extends out a little ways, does this look excessive? With the trailer loaded, I doubt the tongue weight is even close to 300-400 lbs...
snaptube.cam/ syncnet.onl/telegram-web/ 9apps
Guess I should note the bikes all together weighs about 150 lbs. But some of the weight is over the axle.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,099 Posts
W
Tongue weight of the trailer dry is 200 lbs. Albeit my 4" rise extends out a little ways, does this look excessive? With the trailer loaded, I doubt the tongue weight is even close to 300-400 lbs...

Guess I should note the bikes all together weighs about 150 lbs. But some of the weight is over the axle.

What tongue weight is it rated for? At 1st glance it does't appear to be. How's it feel driving it especially over un-even or bumpy roads, Don't want the tail wagging the dog :)

·
Registered
937 Posts
No it isn't but you headlamps maybe a little too high now. I assume you have the HL loaded well inside for that. That trailer tongue weight shouldn't be that heavy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya I too am worried about excessive sag. I bought some Sumo Springs coil inserts to help when they get close to bottoming out. We had 7 people last summer on a 10 day trip to the badlands. I’m considering adding another set as I think it’s still too low.

·
Registered
2011HL
1,407 Posts
It does not take much to lower the back end of a Highlander.. the springs are designed for comfort.. not to support 500 pounds plus behind the rear axle. Your sag does appear excessive but "probably" still safe.. with due caution.
Consider actually measuring the weight at the ball AND consider the weight of your luggage/people etc. If you have a heavy duty bathroom scale (300 pounds plus) put a block on it to simulate the height of the hitch, then lower the trailer hitch while monitoring the scale..

·
Registered
2013 Highlander Hybrid
103 Posts
snaptube.cam/ syncnet.onl/telegram-web/ 9apps

Think you need these. I’m getting a set before I start towing. They are easy to install and have great reviews everywhere I read. You can also look into king springs. They come in standard height and raised height and are thicker than the stock springs

CSS-1168 | Coil SumoSprings for various applications | 1.68 inch inner wall height https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JC42C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3ABvEbAHDWCFC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Highlander AWD
693 Posts
I would suggest getting a weight distribution hitch. My travel trailer has a hitch weight of around 400 pounds, but with the WDH, it will move weight to the front of the tow vehicle. If you use one, make sure you get one with spring bars rated around 500 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Could see if anyone offers air shocks. Pump them up for heavy loads, let them down when you don't need them.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts