Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts

A small used car dealer has a 2006 Camry XLE V6 with 5 speed auto, leather, sunroof, premium sound with 38,260 miles. Asking price is $7,800. It looks garage kept, interior is immaculate, engine bay is very clean, exhaust from what I can see has some rust but not bad. There is not a single rock chip/scratch on the hood so my guess is very little highway driving. Mainly 3,000 miles a year local driving?

Dealer handed me a Carfax and it shows service records from 2013 - 2017 with oil changes and other minor maintenance all done by a Toyota dealership. Most oil changes every 7 - 12 months.

Are there any cons or issues any seasoned Toyota owners can think of for a 12 year Camry with seemingly very little highway mileage ?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
4,862 Posts
Welcome Allan!

Good line of thinking. I would Google search "2006 Camry V6 issues" to see what is out there. You can also use the search feature here to see what may be lurking. There are various issues with any generation of vehicle - some more irritating than critical. You can always look for TSBs and recall data for cars. I think CarFax tends to list those.

My go to concern with low mileage older cars is the fact that they had to have sat around. If there are records that the oil was changed regularly, like what you indicate, that helps a lot. Varnishing from oil, rust in the gas tank due to moisture sitting in there, rings and seals getting brittle due to lack of lubrication: these are the things to think about. Once you fire it up and start driving it those seals may break down, deposits that may have lodged into nooks may come lose and do ?? Or it may drive perfectly and no issues at all. The small used car dealer will not offer any protection - I bet it is As Is on the condition, right?

$7,800 is a bit aggressive for a 12 year old, despite the low mileage. I punted with some values, but KBB puts it at 4,500 - 6,800. Again, low mileage can come with its own headaches. Dealers use NADA, not KBB, and NADA has some very general input I can do, but it can be set to $8,600 for clean retail.

Here is the $7,800 question: how adept/willing are you to do "simple" maintenance or preventative type work? Could you replace the seals/gaskets if needed (hoses, belts, valve cover gasket, various things like that)? If you have the need to use a shop to do everything, you may find a bit of cash leaving your wallet as you break it in after it has been so dormant. 38,000 miles is nothing for these Camry's - that is a "new" engine. If it was driven to get oil changes every 7 months at least it was moving to that frequency as opposed to sitting for a year or more in one spot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The main question is, what else can you buy for $7800? I'd say if it checks out OK, buy it but with no maintenance history, you will probably spend another $1000-$1500 in possible tires (look at DOT on them), fluids, brakes, /coolant/tune/timing belt?, etc.

Any way, if you do do decide to pass on it please share the info, i have a friend who might be interested in the car.

These are good cars. I just replaced our recently totaled 2016 XLE with 2010 V6-XLE with 46,000 miles.

·
Registered
'06 Camry SE V6
139 Posts
... sounds like my SE V6 when I got it 3 years ago

Run your own Carfax, and see what it says

If your willing to take the risk of some time based maintenance items (anything made of rubber), offer 6k and see where negotiations can take you

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
2,010 Posts
Look for the OEM maintenance log in the glovebox. I wouldn't consider any pre-owned vehicle that didn't have maintenance records from first 5000/6 month maintenance. Check for collision repair by pulling up the trunk mat,inspec engine compartment for signs of repair. Look under vehicle for same. Price is high going by the NADA book but if the vehicle has not been repaired and you can establish maintenance per the OEM, go for it. That vehicle has at least 175.000 miles left in it if it has been maintained.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,176 Posts
Worth to consider, but you could also look for a ES330 05-06 with more miles for similar price range which has a nicer array of standard options and better leather quality. Or even a newer camry with more miles. 05-06 is where you would want to get if you got a Gen5 as you got nice additionals such as a nicer set of gauges and stereo controls via steering wheel.

The issue that I sometimes have with low miles car is they were used a lot in stop and go traffic, or city dwellers. That also isn't good for the car.

The only reason I would overpay for an older generation Camry is if it has rare options and/or paint body is mint. For me miles isn't a concern as I replace everything usually when I get a car (i.e. timing belt, water pump, seals, fluids, etc) regardless of miles. As long as maintenance was done, I don't mind.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check ownership. That is how I got mine - same vehicle except mine is 2005.

Most of the high end Camry's were purchased by senior citizens because it is a very reliable vehicle. Unfortunately, the car outlives the owner and it goes up for sale. If the vehicle you mention is a single owner vehicle purchase it right away!

Given it's age you will need to change all of the fluids, probably the timing belt, water pump, battery, and other belts and hoses. Once you bring the vehicle up to current maintenance you can likely expect a lifespan of 250,000 miles or 8 more years (making it a 20 year old vehicle). Time is as important as mileage when working with rubber seals, bushing, etc. At 20 years transmission and engine seals may need to be replaced simply due to age and number of heat cycles plus suspension rubber bushings will likely need to be replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi and thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts

A small used car dealer has a 2006 Camry XLE V6 with 5 speed auto, leather, sunroof, premium sound with 38,260 miles. Asking price is $7,800. It looks garage kept, interior is immaculate, engine bay is very clean, exhaust from what I can see has some rust but not bad. There is not a single rock chip/scratch on the hood so my guess is very little highway driving. Mainly 3,000 miles a year local driving?

Dealer handed me a Carfax and it shows service records from 2013 - 2017 with oil changes and other minor maintenance all done by a Toyota dealership. Most oil changes every 7 - 12 months.

Are there any cons or issues any seasoned Toyota owners can think of for a 12 year Camry with seemingly very little highway mileage ?

that's a good price but watch out for taxes and title.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
2,010 Posts
Have a reliable body man check the vehicle for collision damage. Disregard repairs that were minor or cosmetic. If test drives are good, you probably have a good buy there. That mileage is actually almost nothing.Like the 3.0 V6, that 3.3 us a good design and has been around awhile. Go for it cowboy. Happy motoring. Keep up the maintenance specified in the owner's manual and you will have a reliable vehicle for years.

·
Registered
'99 Camry
103 Posts
Thread is like 2 years old. I think the OP has moved on by now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts