Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2010 Corolla S
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i started getting my oil changes at mr lube bacause im sick of waiting 2 hours for it to be done at my dealership. so i go in and they tell me i need to get a engine cleaning flush every 2 oil changes, and a fuel system/injector cleaning flush, or something like that. every 24,000 km (15,000 miles). they charge 25$ for the engine clean and 100$ for the fuel system clean. do i really need to do this??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hell no ! :nono:

Here is a quote from an article I just found:

“There was a time when the 3,000 miles was a good guideline,” said Philip Reed, senior consumer advice editor for the car site Edmunds.com. “But it’s no longer true for any car bought in the last seven or eight years.”
Oil chemistry and engine technology have improved to the point that most cars can go several thousand more miles before changing the oil, Mr. Reed said. A better average, he said, would be 7,500 between oil changes, and sometimes up to 10,000 miles or more.

·
Registered
467 Posts
ok so i started getting my oil changes at mr lube bacause im sick of waiting 2 hours for it to be done at my dealership. so i go in and they tell me i need to get a engine cleaning flush every 2 oil changes, and a fuel system/injector cleaning flush, or something like that. every 24,000 km (15,000 miles). they charge 25$ for the engine clean and 100$ for the fuel system clean. do i really need to do this??
That's why I stay away from Mr.Lube and the likes, always trying to up-sell services (stick to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule). All you have to do is an oil change every 8000km or 6 months which ever comes first (keep the receipts for any future warrant claims). As for the engine flush... NEVER, that's why we do oil changes as per the manufactures schedule. A professional injector cleaning would only be needed maybe after 100000km but you can save your money and just use fuel cleaner that you can purchase at Canadian Tire every few months (about every 10th fill-up). Do what ever maintenance is required but don't waste your money on unnecessary services. Also, don't go over the recommended intervals. Even-thought a lubricant can perform well over the oil change interval, you open yourself to grief with the Manufacturer if you ever have any problems with an oil related issue. The only thing I would have done that's not covered under the manufacturers schedule maintenance is a brake fluid change about every 2 years. I guess the next up-sell with the 10th Gen Corolla would be an EPS electron fluid flush (similar to a Halogen fluid top-up), now that would be funny.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
wow I've never even waited 20 min. for a oil change wtf? even if the line is long it still is really fast and if it takes longer they have hot dogs, chips, and lots of fountain drinks for us....but then again the manager is my friend :lol:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,777 Posts
I never wait for an oil change, I do it whenever needed. :thumbsup: Full synthetic Mobil 1 & filter for $25. :naughty: Those places are always trying to sell you things that aren't needed. :facepalm: Just do your own oil changes, it's easy & only takes 10-15 minutes. ;)

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
I never wait for an oil change, I do it whenever needed. :thumbsup: Full synthetic Mobil 1 & filter for $25. :naughty: Those places are always trying to sell you things that aren't needed. :facepalm: Just do your own oil changes, it's easy & only takes 10-15 minutes. ;)
I always wanted to do my own oil change but I never got a chance to since my friend does it for just $15 and synthetic Valvoline oil(0w20)....so there is no need for me to do it:lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hell yeah you need those done. They Know whats best for your car. I mean they are trained and everything. Don't forget the engine and trans overhaul at 30k and to replace all wiring at 45k and the paint job at 60k. You did tell them to F off. Right??

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,777 Posts
I always wanted to do my own oil change but I never got a chance to since my friend does it for just $15 and synthetic Valvoline oil(0w20)....so there is no need for me to do it:lol:
WOW. :eek: I can't believe that any shop, friend included would only charge $15 for synthetic. Good job getting that deal! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
WOW. :eek: I can't believe that any shop, friend included would only charge $15 for synthetic. Good job getting that deal! :thumbsup:
lol Thanks. Yeah he's really nice about it and just FYI he's the one with the really nicely modified Twin turbo G coupe:lol:

He did my 4runner for $10 but that was for regular oil. Fixed my corolla's punctured tire for $5.....that was the only cash I had with me:smokin: My god brother who knows him more and longer than me, gets his sisters corolla's oil changed for free:eek: but whatever.....while my sister pays $80 at volkswagen (has to be VW approved oil or something) and $60 for my friends 91 civic (older than us:lol:)

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
427 Posts
no noo noo! engine flushes are no good for the cars engine life..did it once on my first new car and learned the hard way lol

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
LOL!! This gives new meaning to that recent Toyota radio advertisment talking about going to one of those jiffy lubes for an oil change and coming out with an entire new price.

Ottawa dealers should all have Express Lube. Push them on it or head to another Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
09 Camry
552 Posts
I really dislike sneaky sales tactics like those...that's why I never visit certain tire shops after the 1st time..

...$125 for all that, and you came in only for an oil change :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
no noo noo! engine flushes are no good for the cars engine life..did it once on my first new car and learned the hard way lol
+1, they have been known to wash-out bearings (especially if there's any engine load while the product is in the engine). All good oils (Dino and Synthetic) have detergents that will take care of any contaminants and that's why it's important to change them on a regular basis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts