Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cannot imagine this could happen to me just when I get all ready to do the big timing belt job. Life is not fair and I know it now.

This morning when I was driving at 40-50 mph in my lane safe and sound, a lady suddenly decided to change lane into mine from her VERY congested lane on my right. So basically she started from almost standstill, floored the gas, cut into my lane and BANG, my disaster came along. You can see the lady with sneakers in the background.

After the 1st impact, her Honda CRV then bounced back into an RV that was ahead of her initially. So she ended up with both sides damaged. The RV, pulled by a Ford truck, suffered damage on the front driver side.

For me, I was truly lucky. I also bounced to the left and my driver side definitely touched a 4th car. But the damage is very minor. Just some paint scratches and damages to the wheels. The 4th driver did not even feel it and left. I feel sorry for him/her. It is even more unfair to him/her.

The police showed up finally under her insistence and we were issued some cards and the report should be ready in 1 week. I have called her insurance and provided all the details. Now, it is time to seriously look at the car and see what I can do and that is where help from you guys are highly appreciated. Here is the picture. From what I can see it must be a insurance total loss and my main concern is whether to give the car up or buy it back to fix it myself. Does it look like a fixable situation? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Looks like a fender quarter panel and a new front bumper. Probably about $2000 in damages. She's at fault so I assume you can insist they fix it no? Otherwise like whitecam said, go to pick'n'pull on their 1/2 off sale coming up on labor day weekend and get a bumper and quarter panel and have them painted for $400.

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Looks like some damage on the front passenger door, and a little on the rear door as well. With that many panels involved, they might wanna total it.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,419 Posts
Looks like some damage on the front passenger door, and a little on the rear door as well. With that many panels involved, they might wanna total it.
I thought it was just the FF, bumper cover and the mirror. Could we have some more (side) pics.

W95c

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The picture was not very informative. So I took two more. The doors are okay. The big mess is created at the fender, and the mirror. The mirror should be an easy fix. Not sure about the fender. Does it require welding? That will be beyond me.

Both wheels on the passenger side are damaged. But they still hold air. That is about $130 just to replace the two wheels with similar ones. Bumper should be about $250 from online, painted aftermarket bumper of course. Corner lamp assembly should be 30-40 from PnP. But I am not sure whether everything can be bolted on easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes. Everything is bolt on. I think it looks worse than it really is. If they do total it, buy it back. You can easily fix it yourself
I would recommend getting all parts(including the bumper) from a PnP. I've had aftermarket ones...dont do it!

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you were mentally prepared to do the TB/WP, this will be easy.
That's one of the MANY advantages to these old cars...not a ton of sensors and other unnecessary BS you need to worry about replacing

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will just let it sit now and see how the insurance stuff works out. Hopefully everything can be settled by Labor Day and I can catch the holiday promotion. Bay Area used car price is sky high. Some nicer condition 5SFE are asking for $4000. Crazy. Don't know how much the other drivers' insurance company (AAA) will pay out.

It looks like that my passenger side corner light is cleanly taken away. Is it hard to replace the wire harness etc? Also when I click remote to lock the car, I can no longer hear the beep. How to fix these issues? I am really afraid that the mounting points of the lamp assembly is destroyed.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Take $3k plus with you keeping the car, buy your replacements from P&P and fix it for $500. Maybe 10 hours labor for $2500 and It's tax free. If they try to waffle get a lawyer to send them a letter and double the claim, plus the attorneys fees. They will cave as long as the accident report attributes no blame to you (shouldn't be any).

Get an estimate from a reputable shop as your basis for compensation (first step). Why should they not pay the estimate, had you been in a $75000 car they would fix that even at $30k.

It goes my way (you) or we spend a day in court, maybe the judge will be pissed off at his insurance company.

I can't determine the inner structure damage, but it could be insignificant, other than that it's a parts swap. cut off the wiring you need at P&P.

Did body work for the first 10 years of my auto experience, also built close to 200 totals. The key is how well the replacement fender fits on the inner construction which is welded in (I think). If bolted in that's even better.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Heck it could have happened AFTER YOU DID THE TBELT. Now you can pay a pro to do it with the cash you get. I'd rather fix that than do a belt. I'd call it a windfall.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heck it could have happened AFTER YOU DID THE TBELT. Now you can pay a pro to do it with the cash you get. I'd rather fix that than do a belt. I'd call it a windfall.

Given the damage and the market value of the car, I think it is a total for sure. So the key is how much they want to offer and how much I need to pay to keep the car.

The price on CL varies wildly, from 2k to 4k. So if guys here think 3k is a reasonable offer, I shall just take it if they offer 3k. Otherwise, maybe need to talk to a lawyer.

The repair cost/effort hugely depends on whether I can find another black parts car in PnP. If I have to send my mirrors and fenders to paint shops, it is going to cost a lot.

I am very torn here. I put a lot of good parts into the car in recent years and planned to stick with it forever. But to repair it properly can quickly wipe out the $3k. If anyone in this forum is a pro, please do not hesitate to contact me. Maybe we can work out a deal. I'd rather do the TB job than this kind of body work.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes but think of it this way, if you replace it with another used car it's a gamble. You may get something really nice or you may get something that someone traded in because they knew the transmission was going out. You know exactly what's wrong with your car. If you have taken good care of your car and it runs great it would make more sense to repair it. BTW, not a pro

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,991 Posts
The insurance will total the car. Repairs at least (at a shop) exceed 75%~. I think a bumper alone would be about $600 bucks at a shop. When you factor in a fender, any misc underneath inner apron damage, and paint, easy $2-3K+.

Those wheels, from an Gen2 Avalon?

I would buy back the car. Doesn't look too bad. fender and a mirror should be what you meed. Bumper too. Hood looks straight and doesn't look damage from printer. Everything is bolt on for the most part except the inner apron. That might be a little bent, but looks pretty OK from the pics.

Glad you are okay though, could had been so...soo much worst.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stuff in Bay Area is expensive. Just the bumper itself, front or rear, will be 1k in a shop. And that was 5 years ago. So no doubt it is a total. Given the cost and difficulty in painting, I might not go the PnP route. Maybe I shall get the black mirrors and fenders from a car part dealer. Let's see. Will keep you guys updated and waiting for your suggestions.

Since my right corner light is completely taken away, I just got a few broken wires. See this picture.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/attachments/camry-3rd-4th-gen-1992-1996-1997-2001-1st-gen-solara-1999-2003/222096d1533152748-end-road-my-2001-5sfe-le-img_1684.jpg

Do I have to cut the wire from a corner light and cold weld (aka crimp) the wires together? Also my beeper no longer works. Is it hard to fix the beeper?

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
BTW, I suddenly realized that for my previous 4 or 5 accidents, it is always the other driver's fault. What is amazing is that the other driver was always a female. This time it is a 27-35 Caucasian. Last time, it was a 50-ish Asian mom in a Sienna in a grocery store parking lot. The one before, it was a middle aged Caucasian mom in a Jeep. Then a 60-ish middle east one in an Infiniti. Finally, many many years ago, a Mexican uninsured in a car I cannot remember. So race and age do not matter much. This is consistent with some report I read before. Female drivers actually cause more accidents per capita. But they cause less fatal ones.

I am eagerly waiting for self-driving cars now. I think whether you use it or not, everyone will benefit.

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
- dont take it to a shop for repairs, fix it yourself

- why would race matter for accidents? lol

- think like a motorcyclicts, if you are in a accident it's ALWAYS your fault

- be safe, drive defensivley

1 - 20 of 130 Posts