121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
This the 'free' buff boy

This is the sanding discs.

This is the shot right before I started painting. I just can't get rid of all the paint using the random orbital sander.

I covered most of the car with trash bags. Reusing them won't be a problem. So I just spent $20 for the discs and $10 for the paint, and it's done!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Here's the final shot. Compared to the picture in post#90, a pretty big change!

The color is a bit different. But that's not a problem. The paint of my car has suffered extensive damage. Sooner or later, it will be entirely covered in the more flat black. I just need to convert the rear brakes into disc brakes, I am all done with the car!

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
584 Posts
Looks good! Luckily black is not terribly difficult to "match". Much cheaper than what Maaco quoted, huh?? :)

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Looks good! Luckily black is not terribly difficult to "match". Much cheaper than what Maaco quoted, huh?? :)
Yeah. When I told my wife Maaco's numbers, she simply asked whether I lost my common senses. Haha. Maaco is not something like $300 a full car paint. It is $1500 after everything. Not worth it. One of the members on the Acura forum just spent $3k to 'depex' his Odyssey. But now, his car got totaled due to a dumb driver texting while driving. No insurance company will give him that $3k back. Got to be reasonable with expenditures on cars.

·
500,000 + Miles
2000 Solara
464 Posts
LOL! I'm just now reading this thread from the beginning....not funny but an amazing history for you and your car to work through.
Maybe you just need to move to the country? 😃

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Yes, it's ridiculously crazy and not fun at all. Most of the time, either nobody was in the car, or the car was not moving at all. Luckily, the insurance system worked well, and I couldn't complain much. If I lived in a state like Michigan, I would react very differently.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Oh its an I4? I wouldn't have bothered...*

KIDDING! Glad its whole again!

*I'll be swapping out the rods on my I4 wagon soon.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I don't blame you for the joke. I really wish my car is a V6 version. I may have gone to maaco for the repaint if it's a V6 XLE. But it is essentially my first car, I have trouble walking away from it. I guess I am going to see who last longer between me and my plain Jane Camry.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Something to be said about counting one's blessings.

Here is Scotty Kilmer's take on V6 vs I4:

He said it in passing, but this is what changing V6 spark plugs really means:

I4 gives you a lot more space. Imagine accessing the oil filter when the engine is still hot:
vs

We have a 1997 Camry I4 (150k+ miles) and a 2002 ES300 V6 (1MZ-FE, almost 80k miles).

The ES300 has had a whining power steering and fluid leak. I was quoted $1500 to replace both the power steering pump and high pressure hose. It seems common with the V6, for example:
Newly purchased 1999 Camry Oil leak
camry 1MZ-FE v6 timing belt condition

The ES300 also has had all these same problems:

Bad starter motor (Scotty Kilmer's wife also has a 2002 ES300)
Starter Replacement: Toyota / Lexus (speedkar99)

Bad Bank 1 Sensor 1 P1135
2003 Lexus ES300 A/F Sensor; Bank1 Sensor1

Bad Bank 2 Sensor 1 P1155
How to Check and Replace an Oxygen Sensor (Air Fuel Ratio Sensor)
Someone commented: "I too had to change O2 sensor on my V6 ES300 engine and the original one was super tight and I ended up cross threading." Ours was also cross threaded near the tip, so I think it was done in the factory.

Bad power steering design causing bad fluid?
How to FLUSH Power Steering Fluid

Does Your Car Shake When You Brake, Do This
Official 5th and 6th Gen Camry and 2nd Gen Solara...

One can argue that all these problems can be attributed to the V6 (e.g., more power, heavier).

Maybe it's actually due to Lexus' extra fluff as opposed to the V6, but the ES300 drains battery. I think low/dead battery caused the CD changer to not initialize properly. The solution was to replace with a single-CD receiver (due to JBL system, the required TYTO-01 was more expensive than the receiver). I also just spent hours going through Toyota's drive patterns (EG003-02 / EG002-02) so it can be ready for emissions because the battery died.
Notorious CD changer Error3 fix - 2002 ES300 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Yes, the oil pump seal/o-ring is a weakness of the I4, but the crankshaft bolt is "only" 80 ft-lb. It's 159 ft-lb for the V6. The V6 also has two camshaft seals that cannot be changed by removing camshaft bearing cap as with the I4.
Timing Belt / Waterpump Replacement: Toyota & Lexus V6

Oh, the V6 also destroys the torque strut ("dog bone" motor mount) a lot more than the I4.

Your Camry I4 probably is/will be on the original starter motor, brake rotors, oxygen sensors, and no issues with power steering at twice the miles as the V6.

I'd be grateful to have 5S-FE instead of 1MZ-FE.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
God, there is a lot of information in your post that I was not aware of. It definitely made me feeling better. I still want a V6 though, esp. if I am retired with a lot of time on my hand.

Something to be said about counting one's blessings.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts