Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2009 IS250 and I've noticed an issue which occurs after the car was started and shutdown before reaching temperature and is still idling high (ie. after just backing it out of the garage). In this specific example it sat parked for about 24hours and I could not restart it. It tried to fire and stumbled and acted like it was flooded. The battery gave up before it would start but finally got it started after hooking it up to booster cables (still took several rounds of cranking). A few desperate presses of the accelerator also seemed to help, I know that this should not be required with injection. When it finally started it did run rough and eventually settled out. I have noticed similar issues in the past but it would always start and just run rough for a bit. The key to the problem is the short initial run time and not reaching operating temperature.

Curious to get some thoughts on the cause of this. I feel I had run into this type of thing in the past on an older camry so I'm curious if anyone else has also encountered this type of problem.

thanks in advance for your help!

·
Super Moderator
13,644 Posts
Can't say I'm familiar with the engine in your IS250, but it certainly sounds like it was flooding itself. Next time it fails to start, try flooring the gas pedal while it's cranking and hold it floored until it starts. On most FI engines, a wide open throttle tells the ECU to stop firing the injectors which helps it start when the engine's flooded.

Reactions: Yotaman65

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe there is a TSB on this, I had the same problem with my wife's 2013 Venza. They replaced the main fuse box with an updated one. I believe some of the relays were sticking causing the problem, has never done it again.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Are you throwing any lights? In my 350 before my alternator went out, I noticed the brake pedal really stiff after I let it sit, then eventually CEL CHECK VSC and traction light all came on. Fixed the alternator and here I am at 251k, no leaks and running well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts