Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to verify this w/ you guys:
1) if you hit the high beams, the low beams will activate
2) there is no "easy" way to isolate the high beam from the low beam?

meaning.. I don't want the lows to turn on when I hit the highs

if you wanna know what I'm up to.. I'm finally done w/ my quad (mh1+rx330custom). I don't really want a third wiring harness b/c I'm particularly messy w/ wire management. yes, I got lazy w/ the wiring, but I did what I could w/ what I had. If there's no way to isolate it, then I see this happening:

3harness:
-fog light is one wiring harness to activate rx330s. It will be wired to the cig lighter fuse (I believe labeled DOME in engine compartment)
-mh1 wired to low beams w/ harness
-rx330s(crapass custom shield) wired to fog switch.. and it has its own harness (I don't feel like cutting its wiring harness off)
this gives:
1) normal driving is mh1 w/ high beam for flashing (aimed lower than rx's)
2) highway driving I either turn lows off and hit switch (lose high beam), or use the quads

FYI:my mh1 are aimed at the 5in rule and the rx's are closer to 0 :D (still workin on aiming of course)

lemme know if you got a better way of setup. If it matters to you, quads are kind of a waste of time and money.. but it was fun and I like it (no I don't think it'll help w/ distance driving and in fact, it might even hurt b/c there's more contrast in light b/w the super bright road and super dark area that isn't lit by my ridiculously bright setup).. meaning the area not lit by the road is now darker to my eyes than if I had no quads on

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I may not totally understand here but... why not just install a relay and switch system that kills ground to the low beam ground? That would certainly fix your problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm not sure what "kills ground to the low beam ground" means? could you elaborate on that a little? do u mean hooking up the ground of the switch to the high beam's 12v?

I guess I forgot to mention that I also want my low beams to stay on if they were already on... but if they were already off I dont' want'em to turn on w/ the highs

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
i'm not sure what "kills ground to the low beam ground" means? could you elaborate on that a little? do u mean hooking up the ground of the switch to the high beam's 12v?
Nooooo. The simplest way I can put it; you'd use a relay to independently turn off the low beams. But...

I guess I forgot to mention that I also want my low beams to stay on if they were already on... but if they were already off I dont' want'em to turn on w/ the highs
Ahhh now that makes things much more fun... and complicated. :lol: How about just adding in a button that can turn on or off the high beams?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha ya that's kinda what I'm doin right now XD my rx330s are hooked up as the mains.. so If i wanted to use high beams I'd have to first push the button to turn on the fx-rs.. then I could use those high beams at will XD i know i know - really bad setup lol...

I'll take the time later and put the mh1 as the lows AND highs and put the rx330s on the switch - just a matter of puttin the fuse tap for switch and a wiring harness for the mh1 in :D

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I didn't understand ANY of that alphabet soup. :lol: Can we stick to calling things low beams, high beams, and foglights? :)

·
Registered
08 Camry LE
1,039 Posts
I guess he has 6 hids.
- Fog light: RX330
- Low beam: MH1
- High beam: MH1
The low beam MH1 and RX330 form a quad setup.
For normal driving (low only), he use MH1 in low and high so that he can flash ppl.
I'm not quite sure the highway driving part.
However, I think most states require no more than 4 lights to be on at the same time, so you can't have all your lights on.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
Just tape a flash light to your hood. Problem solved! Just cover the squirrel spotters or you will get the ban stick to the face!:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
oh sorry guys.. there's so much crap in there it gets confusing (wiring sucks) :D there will be low beam wires, high beam/drl wires, and fog wires(switch). The fog switch has its own harness and can be activated by a 12V source (like cig lighter or low beam). I have two possible wiring harnesses, one uninstalled for my mh1 and my rx330s have a semi-permanent one. My mistake on puttin all the acronyms in. mh1 is a bixenon projector and rx330s are a single xenon projector. MH1 (morimoto mini h1) is in my drl/high beam position and is currently wired and powered by the fog switch, which activates w/ the low beam. rx330 is installed in the typical low beam position and hooked up only to the lows (it has its own wiring harness which is soldered or crimped on).

I really think it's the fogs that are confusing things up. The harness has a switch that turns on w/ a 12V source. If the 12V source turns on the switch, and then u push the button, its harness will draw power from the battery and activate what it's hooked up to. So if its switch is hooked up to say.. low beams, you can only activate it when the low beams are on too... which is why I wanna get a bussman tap and tap in to the cigarette lighter fuse (so the switch can be used as long as the car is on and if the car is off, the switch turns the HIDs off too).

where quad & bixenon come in to play is that when I turn on those mh1 and my low beams(currently rx330), i will have two low beams (mh1 and rx330). When I activate my highs, the mh1 solenoid shield inside the mh1 drops and the mh1 becomes a high beam (still two hids). My unfortunate condition is that the solenoid shield can be activated by the drl voltage.. so that can present possible problems

Sorry for the confusion :D

btw camrysexxx - these are all HID projectors, so asking me to cover up the squirrel spotter on the rx330 shouldn't even come up ;) don't get too avid about all squirrel spotters being bad - there are plenty of HID projectors with them. ;) mine happens to have a really crappy custom shield (two different sized steps) that I created to gain more width and intensity at the cutoff - the tradeoff was I lost my rx330's squirrel spotters.

So then ppl will ask about my fogs - they have halogen h11 bulbs in there but the mh1 are feeding off of the fog's harness... meaning my fogs are just there for looks lol

The future wiring will likely be the fog's switch tapping from the DOME(cig lighter fuse) and installing a harness for the mh1 +wiring it to the low beam. The rx330s will then be wired to the fog - it will have its own soldered harness + activate from the fog's harness.. or I could change it so that the rx330 get power from the fog harness instead of its own harness if I weren't lazy to do the cutting...

so really i'm asking if there's a better way to wire these suckers or if there's some way to make the low beams run independently from the high beams

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
btw camrysexxx - these are all HID projectors, so asking me to cover up the squirrel spotter on the rx330 shouldn't even come up ;) don't get too avid about all squirrel spotters being bad - there are plenty of HID projectors with them. ;) mine happens to have a really crappy custom shield (two different sized steps) that I created to gain more width and intensity at the cutoff - the tradeoff was I lost my rx330's squirrel spotters.
bwahahahah i was jk man, I didnt know flashlights had squirrel spotters!! :p

gl with the wiring

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
haha oh oops didn't know u were talkin about the flashlight XD ya the wiring's a mess.. maybe I can clear it more so ppl might be able to help me on it:

the projectors:
RX330s - single xenon projector (better than mh1, raised higher for distance driving, and uses denso ballast) which has a soldered on wiring harness (requires 12V source)
MH1 - bi-xenon projector (uses ddm ballast) which requires a low beam activator as well as a separate high beam wire (requires 12V source for lows, 5+ source for high beam solenoid)

The wiring:
-stock has low beam and high beam/drl
-fixed harness on the rx330 (uses a denso ballast)
-fog lights require an enabler (12v source). After it has the been enabled, you can push the switch and it's harness will draw power from the battery and give it to whatever is hooked up
-ddm harness (for mh1 (ddm ballast)) and it's currently not in use
----------------------------------------------------
Current setup(2 harness):
rx330s hooked to low beam wiring
mh1 hooked to fog switch and high beam
ddm harness unused b/c mh1 feeds off of fog harness
fog harness enabled through low beam wiring

future setup (3harness):
rx330s hooked up to fog switch and ballast pulls power from its soldered harness, enabled via cig lighter, activated by pushing switch button
mh1 uses harness and hooked up to low beam
mh1 also hooked up to high beam

the "i'm too lazy setup:
same as 'future setup', only rx330s draw power from the fog harness

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I'm not getting this. At all. And I LIKE wiring and understand it! Can you draw out a labeled picture or circuit diagram of whats going on, please?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
oiy.. u wanna start me off by showing me a circuit diagram of a camry's low beam, high beam, and battery?? I'll fill in the rest from there? I totally understand your pt tho :D i'm more visual based too lol..

that's the one i'm too lazy to do... and in my case and future layout.. just swap the way teh purple, blue, and green wires are hooked up.

the red and black show how the harness only draw power from the battery. The other three are more like "if these are on, it'll allow the others to turn on"... I'm under teh impression that the cigarette lighter fuse also does the dome light and other stuff... so I'll be tapping the fog switch in to the DOME fuse w/a bussman tap

and the above is the current setup I think...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol now u got me confused :D I see those four connection points for the low beams.. but the high beams...I only see one of those... does my macro picture make any sense?

really.. I'd just love for the low beams to function independently from the high beams... but it looks like it won't be possible w/o a lot of effort :D Seeing that it won't be possible, the rest is just me being curious if someone has come up w/ a better wiring setup for a quad where one is a bixenon

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Sorry. Didn't see your diagram before I posted.

Okay. Bussman taps, scotch locks, whatever you wanna call them.... NO. End of story. Pleaseeee solder and heat shrink things.

As for wiring... i don't see anything wrong with that setup.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm.. could u advise on what to solder and heatshrink to? I'm under the impression that the only "always on" wiring can only be accessed by pulling through the firewall and pulling apart that steering wheel panel... and if that's the only way, which wire do u wire in to?

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Do want a 12 volt positive wire that comes on when the key is turned?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes. Unless you got a better idea. I got the idea that the best way to wire these rx330s and have good control over them was to wire them to the parking lights or the cigarette lighter. However, there are only two cases in which the parking lights would activate:
1) low beam would activate the mh1 as well as rx's (don't always want both
2) "park" would cause the solenoid to activate on the mh1...

it seems to me like the cigarette lighter is the only option in line for 12V sources. I was under the impression that the fuse tap was the way to go.. but if that can cause issues, then I could definitely use your advise :D

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Got it. I'll draw up a diagram for you. Gimme a few minutes. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts