Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my vehicle on May 29 2018 - Just about a month later --- On July 4th,(after a heat wave of 100 degrees) I discovered a crack in the windshield directly behind rearview mirror and where camera is located. Don't recall ANY debris hitting windshield during the one month of owning my vehicle. There doesn't appear to be any chip missing where the crack began -- over the past three weeks the crack is not forming a straight line...but more like a "J" shape.

Last week, while walking my dog in a different neighborhood... I saw another Rav4 which also had a similar crack in the exact same location. I took a picture and also got their license plate. I considered leaving a note..but decided otherwise.

I have full glass coverage - and my insurance company has advised me -- that I am fully covered for OEM glass -- since "after market" glass is not available at this time. - I was also told that the camera placement on the 2018 Hybrid...allows for ONLY one specific glass replacement.

I was advised by a Toyota rep... that there is a shortage of windshields -- due to the "popularity" of the vehicle -- and then informed I would NOT be able to replace my windshield until September. I contacted Toyota Head Quarters and explained my need. -- and that I felt two plus months to replace a windshield was inexcusably long for a brand new vehicle. Whats the deal? Why is there a shortage of windshields?

Supposedly my case -- has been escalated, since I delayed a planned road trip to Maine last week ...and after looking up the laws for the states I will be driving through... The laws are very precise in Massachusetts and Maine - and a ticket would be given ... in other states - they seem to be less cut and dry. The part was scheduled to arrive on the 23rd (three days ago) .. but last night - I was informed the part was sent by TRAIN...instead of by TRUCK -- and its supposed to arrive soon - hopefully today.

Im frustrated and angry as to "WHY" there is a shortage? Two months, seems excessive for a new vehicle windshield replacement. It was explained to me that the delay has to do with parts being held up by "customs". SERIOUSLY?!
Will "customs" be a regular problem, each time I need a part for my newly purchased vehicle? -- Im truly disappointed.

Has anyone else had issues with their 2018 hybrid windshield? OR getting a replacement??

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
IMO that is a warranty claim since it is caused by a manufacturing defect. So that means it falls under the Lemon Laws of your state if they cannot fix it within the allowed amount of time (check the internet for Lemon Law in your state). If you had a lawyer, that would easier to pursue, but I realize that it might cost money to do that.

The first step would be to have them admit it is a valid warranty claim, and if the dealer says no, appeal it to Toyota Motor and get a case number.

Then you should file a dispute following the instructions in this warranty manual for your vehicle:
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-18RAV4/pdf/T-MMS-18RAV4.pdf

I would also report this incident to the NHTSA here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

As far as what the dealer says about the RAV4 being popular, that is true but the real problem is that this is pervasive problem on existing vehicles and that's why they have a shortage (not because they are selling so many new vehicles).

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fact that they are shipping by train suggests the load is very large. I do know that most manufacturers will set priority on supplying manufacturing ( which makes product contributing to cash flow) before warranty claims (which cost the company money) however, I would agree that any ticket you receive due to the prolonged time needed to satisfy the parts request should be at Toyota's cost, so long as you can establish the date you filed the claim. Do you have the Toyota Reps' statement in writing? :) A simple Email exchange would suffice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 RAV4 windshield crack

I too have a spontaneous windshield crack. Bought my vehicle in April 2018 and when the weather turned cold below freezing in November I noticed a 1” crack beginning at bottom of windshield. It has now spread all across the windshield. Never in my life have I had a cracked windshield, only stone chips that are easily and cheaply repaired. This is clearly a design flaw. What a hassle! $700 to replace if warranty doesn’t cover it. My husband is currently on way to dealership to raise hell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suspected there might be a manufacturer flaw. I bought a 2018 RAV4 LE back in December. After few months, I saw a windshield crack right next to the rear view mirror. Went to the dealership, and of course, they said that it was due to an impact. I know there was no impact because I did not have one, plus, the crack was in "J" shape, not a "spider" shape. And then, a few months later, I saw another RAV4 at the parking lot with a very similar crack. And then, another RAV4 appeared, this time driven by an Uber driver, with the same exact crack. I just hope that eventually Toyota will accept the reality that there is a manufacturer flaw with their windshields, and to keep their name up, will recognize the matter as a "recall". Because, it looks like the matter is epidemic.

·
8,211 Posts
I'd suggest to grab a magnifying glass and investigate origins of that crack real well. I am not being sarcastic. I speak from experience. Honda Element had TSB because of the flaw in windshield frame, resuting in - yes, cracked windshields.

I had, at that time, CR-V, which acquired identical crack. Same location, spread, everything.
Proud of myself, I printed out TSB and went to dealer. Honda is Honda, right? CSR was actually very understanding, he said - yes, if we find NO signs of impact, we'll honor that TSB for your vehicle.

And believe me, I looked at that crack many times.
He did find impact area. Way down in the black, dark section ot it. But it was there. pointed it out, I blushed, we shoock hands, $200 to the glass guy.

After that, I learned to be very particular about glass cracks. SO far, I did NOT find a single one that was not caused by an impact. Obvious or barely seen.

Just saying. Takes tiny little spec of chip to cause major traveling crack, as windshield is under huge stress, as frame moves, as vehicle rides.

Though surely, there might as well be frame imperfection. Honda had it, why can't Toyota have it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my vehicle on May 29 2018 - Just about a month later --- On July 4th,(after a heat wave of 100 degrees) I discovered a crack in the windshield directly behind rearview mirror and where camera is located. Don't recall ANY debris hitting windshield during the one month of owning my vehicle. There doesn't appear to be any chip missing where the crack began -- over the past three weeks the crack is not forming a straight line...but more like a "J" shape.

Last week, while walking my dog in a different neighborhood... I saw another Rav4 which also had a similar crack in the exact same location. I took a picture and also got their license plate. I considered leaving a note..but decided otherwise.

I have full glass coverage - and my insurance company has advised me -- that I am fully covered for OEM glass -- since "after market" glass is not available at this time. - I was also told that the camera placement on the 2018 Hybrid...allows for ONLY one specific glass replacement.

I was advised by a Toyota rep... that there is a shortage of windshields -- due to the "popularity" of the vehicle -- and then informed I would NOT be able to replace my windshield until September. I contacted Toyota Head Quarters and explained my need. -- and that I felt two plus months to replace a windshield was inexcusably long for a brand new vehicle. Whats the deal? Why is there a shortage of windshields?

Supposedly my case -- has been escalated, since I delayed a planned road trip to Maine last week ...and after looking up the laws for the states I will be driving through... The laws are very precise in Massachusetts and Maine - and a ticket would be given ... in other states - they seem to be less cut and dry. The part was scheduled to arrive on the 23rd (three days ago) .. but last night - I was informed the part was sent by TRAIN...instead of by TRUCK -- and its supposed to arrive soon - hopefully today.

Im frustrated and angry as to "WHY" there is a shortage? Two months, seems excessive for a new vehicle windshield replacement. It was explained to me that the delay has to do with parts being held up by "customs". SERIOUSLY?!
Will "customs" be a regular problem, each time I need a part for my newly purchased vehicle? -- Im truly disappointed.

Has anyone else had issues with their 2018 hybrid windshield? OR getting a replacement??
Hi, I bought my Toyota RAV4 back in May of this year (toyota2019) and while driving west on my vacation just around a month later noticed a crack on my windshield. It started in the bottom left corner and expended through 3/4 of my entire glass to the right side. I didn’t notice or heard a rock hitting my windshield while driving but for some reason in high temp in Utah it started to spread quickly. I don’t know if it happened mechanically or the glass was not tempered or installed right. Anyway, I decided to report that to the dealership and pay for it out of my pocket (insurance, deductible, premium going up- no way, I decided to pay for it myself). And what happened? It’s been already a month and they don’t have spare parts yet! Toyota headquarter which I contacted eventually told me, they are going to ship the first set of windshields on August 21st! If everything goes well, I might have it replaced after 2 months from filing a report! This is ridiculous. I drive a lot for my work, I am scared to drive it anyway, what if I had it smashed completely? How can manufacturers release cars without considering some cars will need spare parts and they don’t have them on stock? I bought a brand new car but it’s like I don’t have it!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Same problem on my 2018 rav 4

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glass goes through a heat treating process to give it the properties desired, improper heat treating can produce areas of high stress that may get relieved in the form of cracks, side and rear windows may actually explode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts