Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Died around age 230, XXX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day, I 'suddenly' hit 200,000 miles. yay! Despite the body looking as if it belongs to a salvage yard...Im carrying on and riding it out LOL.

For some reason though, I've noticed for awhile that the trip meter gets stuck sometimes, and I have to drive around for a few miles before it'll allow me to reset it. Sometimes I'll do it while the car is moving, or while its stop in park...other times it just doesn't matter.

Also, what would you recommend for the following issues: check engine light, minor oil/coolant leaks, rear door/fender body damage...

Any ideas?

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
The other day, I 'suddenly' hit 200,000 miles. yay! Despite the body looking as if it belongs to a salvage yard...Im carrying on and riding it out LOL.

For some reason though, I've noticed for awhile that the trip meter gets stuck sometimes, and I have to drive around for a few miles before it'll allow me to reset it. Sometimes I'll do it while the car is moving, or while its stop in park...other times it just doesn't matter.

Any ideas?
The trip meter is controlled by little gears, they are probably getting worn out and starting to slip.

You can go to the salvage yard and get a good speedometer with a working odometer and swap them by pulling your cluster apart. But make sure not to mess with the mileage because its very illegal to change that.

And as far as your Camry looking like it should be in a salvage yard, You should see my 93 right now. Its looking pretty sad.. hehe. Both rocker panels are gone, and the drivers rear quarter is gone. Got the Rear Quarter in hand, just trying to find some good rockers on a camry that I can cut off and weld onto my camry to make it pretty again :clap:

haha you updated this while i was typing the above. For the coolant leak, Do a cap pressure check and pressure check your radiator. Quick easy and in-expensive. You can pick up the tools you need at advanced auto or Autozone and get your money back when your done.

Body Rust. You can find replacement Quarter Panels that you weld in online for about $80.00 per side. I have yet to find good rocker panels, but I am still looking for Direct fitment panels.

Welding in the new panels is the best thing you can do in my opinion. If you "patch" the rust, it will just keep rusting. Grab yourself some Zinc paint or some rust converter that contains Zinc. I recommend the paint. There is a really good "quite pricey" paint called Por15 .. its about $20-$30.00 for 1 Pint, but this stuff will work wonders. It converts the rust and prevents more rust from occurring. The biggest problem i found with Por15 is that if you do not wear Latex gloves and it gets on your hands it takes about 1 month of constant washing to remove it. hehehe stains the skin pretty much

For a quick fix to pass inspection or what not, I would recommend fiberglassing it but there again, the rust will still keep eating away.

For a minor oil leak. I recommend finding / fixing the problem As soon as possible. Minor leaks usually turn into major leaks if not taken care of. Clean off where you think the oil is coming from and run the motor for a little bit. See if where you cleaned gets oil in that area. This will help you pin-point where the leak is coming from. There are good de-greasers available. I personally like Purple Power which is available at CarQuest (Maybe other places too). I've used that foaming de-greaser but I didnt like the results I got. You spray the de-greaser on, let it soak for a couple minutes, and then spray it off with a hose. You may need to scrub a little where oil may be built up or you can keep applying the de-greaser until its gone. I used 1 bottle to clean my engine bay on my 95 camry before I put the motor in it. The previous owner had a major oil leak and it covered the entire engine bay and ran all the way down the back of the vehicle.. Yeah.... it was pretty bad. lol!

Common points of oil leaks:

1. Valve Cover Gasket / Spark Plug Tube Seals
2. Power Steering Pump
3. Camshaft Seal
4. Crankshaft Seal
5. Distributor Seal

Check engine light:

If your car is OBD II i would recommend going to autozone to have them pull the codes for you. If it is OBD1 there are procedures available for pulling codes from the ECU. Get the codes and post them up here to further help :)

To repair bent body panels, Get yourself a Quart of Fiberglass body filler, some lightweight filler and a rubber mallet. Using the rubber mallet, tap the panel as straight as you can get it without over doing it. Once its as straight as possible, you are going to determine what filler you need to use. Small dents and dings can be filled with a light weight puddy and easily sanded. Larger dings and dents may need a heavier puddy (Fiberglass) to fill. I am no body man though, so you may need some other people to clue in on how to fix dings and dents. I do alright with getting the body straight and looking smooth and everything.. I can even paint decent enough but I dont know the techniques that the body guys know.

Hope this helps :)

·
Died around age 230, XXX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, Im so printing the above info LOL...

as for the oil leak, its coming from the front part behind the compressor. I've done 2 engine bay cleanings, but in a couple of days or so its back muddy again.

It would have been nice if they'd checked that out when the timing belt was getting done...but thats only another 20,000 miles from now anyhow :eek:

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Yeah they should have replaced the crank seals and gaskets along with the cam seal if you had a shop preform this. They should have also replaced the tensioners that are on the timing side as well. If this was recently done, I would bring it back and have them double check to make sure thats where its leaking. It could also be your AC Compressor starting to leak as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
HA!! 200k!! Right on!

As far as you saying YOURS belongs in a slavage yard...looked up my thread with pics?

But I REFUSE to get rid of the lil behemoth....I love this damn car...it soldiers on without ANY arguing, I have oils crap every where...but I am slowly getting it cleaned up, fixed and am about to start in on the body damages and repairs to get my level III inspection done and therefore, restored title status.....interior is last on my list, it looks well........weird in there....some definite funk or some form of mutation experiment went on in there, but I will get her cleaned up and everything replaced.....it runs to just too damn good to give up on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts