·
GoodGuy 5000HD
'15 Highlander Ltd
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,911 Posts
I'm glad I am rid of mine. After market units like the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX is a world apart, it has a couple aesthetic tweaks

I wish it had....
-Better display of the source. Just needs to be smaller and not transparent.
-When changing volume it shouldn't overlap the track time or Pause play function.
-No overlay text for backup camera that causes a second extra delay.
-No boot up warning legal text to alwys have to click out of

Last 2 are the same to any US legal unit, I guess. So its really just the SW with a couple improvements I can see made. I wont hold my breath for an update.

Without even talking about output sound quality...
Its never dropped a connection, I use the unit to connect to my Hotspot, I can actually navigate with voice and its darn accurate. It takes both andriod and iOS, I can add multiple cameras, and the list goes on.
So good that I can't remember what I might of used that's worth keeping from Entune.

The main reason is to get rid of the horrible sound source and the unreliable functions of the Entune system, and as Goodguy above, I too am glad I did it. I would do the same if I got a new car today. (well, I would do it a bit different, hindsight is 20/20).

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I guess up north here in Canada we are lucky that we don't have Entune at all...lol sacarstically...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Funny I'm quite happy with the Entune system....go figure.

·
Newb
Prius + Highlander
55 Posts
I find the Entune system user interface to be better than the competition. The right amount of real buttons and very intuitive to use. Compared to Honda and Ford Sync, much better. Functionality wise, maybe it's not as a competitive and the bluetooth syncing issues can be annoying.

·
/dev/hybrid
290 Posts
I think the quality of Entune depends upon the headunit used.

The Display Audio headunit in my Plug-in Prius is less than spectacular. Small screen, slow Bluetooth connection setup, less than spectacular voice recognition, slow response to screen touches, traffic info requires tethering to my cell phone to use it's data plan, etc.

On the other hand, the JBL Premium headunit in the Highlander Limited offers a much larger screen, much faster touch response, the Bluetooth connection is almost instance upon startup, awesome voice recognition, better traffic info that doesn't require tethering, etc.

When Consumer Reports reviewed the 2014 Highlander, they said "Voice commands can be used to launch apps, make phone calls, play music, and enter addresses and find points of interest in the navigation system. It’s a very good system that lets you speak naturally."

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,911 Posts
February of this year....why?

Mine was the basic, so there was no voice command to my voice command.
I ask as I too loved it for a few months. then some sybc issues, then the sound quality, and then reboot, and then no full connection with cell. It would do this cool feature and read the texts, and that too stopped...So after a few months of loving it, I went through another few months of trying to salvage it, and work with it and try and tell myself that its fine....Then I had to face the facts and get rid of it. The sound quality alone was totally worth it. I am particular about sound, so YMMV.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine was the basic, so there was no voice command to my voice command.
I ask as I too loved it for a few months. then some sybc issues, then the sound quality, and then reboot, and then no full connection with cell. It would do this cool feature and read the texts, and that too stopped...So after a few months of loving it, I went through another few months of trying to salvage it, and work with it and try and tell myself that its fine....Then I had to face the facts and get rid of it. The sound quality alone was totally worth it. I am particular about sound, so YMMV.
Well if I had all those issues I wouldn't be happy either....hopefully they are not in my future. I don't play the radio much....I prefer to drive in silence and listen to the sounds the car makes and the sounds outside with the windows open. I do use the navigation quite often and for me it works perfectly.

The only issue I've noticed is when I receive a txt I can read it but not reply because the reply button is grayed out so if anyone has any insight into this it would be appreciated....not that I receive many txt's but when I do I would like to respond. BTW I have an Android type smart phone.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,911 Posts
It sounds like you are mostly "unplugged" besides the navigation. I think an update helped a lot of folks with this issue they were having. I'll take Google or Waze, Garmin or TomTom over most of the others.
So with that infrequency of interaction, and silence over music, you will be happy with the system, besides things like the Reply kink not working. These little things can add up and frustrate.

It was a number of little things like that which add up and make the tech pointless for me. So far things on the Poineer work flawlessly. All the protocals are genuine and complete, not "hacked" fragments.
I think car mfg's should be more flexible for aftermarket integration, or pay up the money and stop cutting corners and use the stereo mfg's quality products instead of the custom bare bones minimal parts and functions.

·
Wanna Play Pool? :)
91 Posts
I suppose I'm still in my "honeymoon" stage because so far (looking for some wood to knock), the Entune in my 16 XLE works just fine. It's only 2 months old. I like being able to press button on the steering wheel and saying "Tune to preset 2" and the music starts playing. 3 months ago when I was shopping, I test drove the 16 Pilot and agreed with many that the headunit in it sucks compared to the Highlander's. I have been testing out the voice recognition of the Nav and it's hit or miss in terms of recognizing what I say. Yes I've already "trained" it. I've read about those complaints on another thread here too. But the other part of the Nav is their database. It doesn't seem as "robust" as Google Maps because I can't find some addresses that Google Maps pulls right up. So besides the Nav, I really love my Entune.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It sounds like you are mostly "unplugged" besides the navigation. I think an update helped a lot of folks with this issue they were having. I'll take Google or Waze, Garmin or TomTom over most of the others.
So with that infrequency of interaction, and silence over music, you will be happy with the system, besides things like the Reply kink not working. These little things can add up and frustrate.

It was a number of little things like that which add up and make the tech pointless for me. So far things on the Poineer work flawlessly. All the protocals are genuine and complete, not "hacked" fragments.
I think car mfg's should be more flexible for aftermarket integration, or pay up the money and stop cutting corners and use the stereo mfg's quality products instead of the custom bare bones minimal parts and functions.
I hear you & as I said if it wasn't working correctly I would want a fix or try something better. I should say I do play Pandora and my IPod occasionally and to my ear both sound great.

I just spent some quality time with the system and got the txt messaging working correctly....I think I messed up when I originally paired my phone to the system So I un-pared it (removed it) and started over. The system requested everything it needed from my phone (contact list etc.) which I ok'd and now it works flawlessly. I even trained the voice recognition which also worked flawlessly. I know a lot of folks have had problems with the Entune system but so far I have no complaints (knock on wood). :smile:

·
Registered
'16 Highlander
32 Posts
My biggest gripe is the nav. It's map data base is seriously lacking. I have a 2016 XLE just 5 months old and 800 miles. Went on 600 mile road trip over the Memorial Day weekend and had serious issues with the navigation. It could not find addresses while Google maps had no problems finding addresses. I had to resort to using my phone for navigation. What's the sense of having built in navigation and not being able to use it. My wife uses a Garmin GPS in her car without issues. :frown

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,911 Posts
There are multiple threads on this with your experience. There was some update and I think it helped, but I don't know how much.

Ya. The ONLY car made navigation I like is in the Tesla S.
I'm thinking of adding the Pioneer v2 Nav to my system just to not have a Garmin. Although I much prefer a Garmin screen close on my windshield in my periphery than glancing down and across right for anything.

I can't wait for a HUD displays to be mature and available for me to try!

Reactions: TurboGPX

·
Registered
262 Posts
My biggest gripe is the nav. It's map data base is seriously lacking. I have a 2016 XLE just 5 months old and 800 miles. Went on 600 mile road trip over the Memorial Day weekend and had serious issues with the navigation. It could not find addresses while Google maps had no problems finding addresses. I had to resort to using my phone for navigation. What's the sense of having built in navigation and not being able to use it. My wife uses a Garmin GPS in her car without issues. :frown
Really....my last vehicle was 2012 Venza which had the identical nav system as the HL and I never had a problem with it finding addresses. I haven't had a problem with it in my HL either. Anyway I don't doubt what your saying and the only reason I can think of is the areas folks live in. I'm in the NY metropolitan area and it's possible it has a better map data base then other areas. I will say I wouldn't have gotten it in the HL if I didn't already like it in the Venza.

·
Registered
12 Camry, 19 SantaFe
201 Posts
OK using it 4+ years in a 2012 Camry XLE

I saw this "Entune is Bad" headline in the weekly Toyotanation email and was a bit surprised at that description. I'm generally satisified with it in our 2012 Camry XLE and have processed a couple free upgrades, that last giving us Slacker radio, so would give it a B grade. I wasn't looking for it when we bought our Camry in March 2012, but wanted a backup camera and that was only offered in the $600 option with Entune and Nav. I occasionally cuss out Entune when it won't couple with my Samsung S4 android phone driving down the road at 70mph and wanting to just glance at weather radar, but usually a phone reboot fixes it. Voice recognition works OK and I usually use Entune for weather (beware the radar always seems about 1/2 hour off), Pandora or Slacker, both music on low bandwidth settings especially important in rural cell networks. I think the Opentable and Movie apps are useless in any city < 1 million people. I won't spend for Nav map updates so use Nav less than the first 1-2 years, but occasionally put Nav on screen just to see where I am on a map.

What I don't know is how other competitive products work since I'm not out car shopping, so I trust Consumer Reports ranks Entune low and rather than BAD I might call it outdated needing a major design REFRESH to stay competitive.

·
Honda-Tech White Ops
1,581 Posts
How was the sound using a Pioneer headunit ? Did the sound improve? stay the same? digress?

And what was needed for the changeover?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts