Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Celica
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found an 81' Celica with 130,000 original miles on it. The guys the second owner, the first owner was a lady who supposedly took great care of it. It's in great shape, the 22R engine(how reliable is it really?). I just got back from test driving it. the paint is perfect except for 2-3 pinhead sized rust spots and some rust on one of the rear wheel well edges. The interior is in perfect condition! the dash is like new, it even has the stock radio. get this! It has the original windshield, one with the antenna running up throught the front and through the sun tinting at the top. I think I'm gonna buy it tomorrow. It runs perfectly, starts on the first try and idles at like 6-800 RPM's. One bad thing though, the block is caked with oil. the exhaust is clean though (and almost totally rust free). Should I worry too much about it, it doesn't smoke or anything (the guy says it loses about a quart every month). What do people think? How much should I offer for it? I'm not sure what is customary for this old of a toyota, my last two were POS's one I bought for 200, the other 1000 cause it had a new engine. thanks for any feedback, I appreciate it.
I can't find how to insert a picture so heres a web site with a picture of a very sililar car (almost identical).
http://www.yellowsun.plus.com/history/history.html
it's the silver one with a yellow one behind it.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
i read your other post and you said he was asking $1100...i think...so offer him $800, if he says no then go up to $900, and if he still says no....wait for him to call you back.

·
Registered
Celica
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my main question is whether this car is worth my time, even with the oil coated block. I'm just to distracted by the physical condition I need an objective (for a toyota fan at least) opinion. Thanks

·
King Dingaling
77 scottsdale 4X4
129 Posts
22r's are reliable... as far as the block goes, maybe all that oil is from all its years on the road. clean up the block and see how bad the leak really is! I think it sounds like a pretty dang good deal.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The oil is probably from the valve cover gasket.<-thats a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
Celica
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats exactly what I was thinking, the oil starts right on the seal, I wasn't sure if it was easy to fix. thanks for the comment I'm pretty sure I'm gonna drive it home tomorrow, I'll post some picks (if I can figure out how). thanks for all the comments.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
is it the hatchback or coupe?

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
the 2nd gen celica coupes are sweet! i think what he wants for it is a good price. 130k is pretty low mileage for an '81.

·
Registered
57 Posts
trdcamry2003 said:
The oil is probably from the valve cover gasket.<-thats a pretty easy fix.
Definately true, maybe even the head gasket, but either or is a pretty easy fix. That was my moms first new car she ever bought, and 275,000 km's she sold it for $500 running perfectly

:thumbup: :thumbup: Steve and Ebert give it two thumbs up

·
Registered
Celica
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just showed it to my sister. She liked it, we put some money down, I'll go get it tomorrow. 1000 bucks, that's as low as he would go and with that few miles I'm pretty sure he woulda sold it to someone else within a few days if I tried to get him any lower. oh well. I still think it's worth it. It's too bad my sister likes it better than my Sube so she's gonna drive it for a while. Oh well, I'll get my hands on it sooner or later. I like my sube too, but only because it's reliable and it's a great ski car(room for skii's + people), it's got 70,000 more miles on it, but it's 9 years newer. Oh well happy with either (or maybe both eventually :D ). I'll get some pics to post when we get it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts