Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well first, ive had my toyota for over a year now, and after lots of problems and money into trying to get the engine running right, it finally starts knocking. So i replace the engine with another 22re (a couple years older i think, my truck is a 92).

The new engine i put in had a slightly different oil pump and oil pan, and is missing a sensor that my old engine has. Nothing too big. So we finally get it in and after a bit of trouble getting it to start, it finally starts and runs good, nice and quiet. On the way home from the place we did the work, it starts losing power more and more and finally stalls.

We noticed the exhaust manifold glowing red hot. So we towed it home. I noticed the wires on the o2 sensor were hanging down and touched the exhaust pipe and burned through the wires. I fixed it and hung it back up. Started the truck and was still losing power. So i hollowed out the catalytic converter thinking that may have been to blame for the loss of power and glowing manifold. Start it up, NOTHING. No change. Still loses power to the point where it is going to die. I take out and check the spark plugs and they were the most horrible spark plugs i had ever seen in my life. No joke, i am surprised the engine even started and ran at all. But still after replacing those, it started a little bit quicker, but still had no power.

Now, as it is, the truck doesnt have as much power when i first start it, but it loses even more the warmer it gets. The only other thing i can think of is the oxygen sensor. Its the only thing that i can think of that changes as the engine temperature changes.

Is there anything else that can cause this that i dont know about? I mean, there is a check engine light on since we put the new engine in, and i am assuming that it may be that sensor that was on my old engine that is not there now. I dont know what sensor it is, but it goes in the side of the block (the same side that the fuel filter is on) and has what i believe to be a single wire going to it.

I would REALLY appreciate any help on this, if you guys only knew the amount of problems ive had with this truck, it would scare you. If i didnt know as much about vehicles as i do, i would have given up a year ago.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never worked on a 22re but its a possiability that the sensor your talking about is a temp sensor, so maybe your coolant is'int flowing correctly due to the sensor and that would explain why your engine is getting so hot as to make the exhaust manifold glow, also it could be incorrect timeing and or air/fuel ratio. I could be wrong so don't quote me thats just my guess.

·
Registered
67 Posts
you said your plugs looked like crap, what did they look like? if you can explain in abit more detail what they looked like that might help to figure it out. also the new plugs you put in it do they look the same as the old ones now?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well, the spark plugs that i pulled out were the ones that came with the engine i got, the engine itself was rebuilt so many thousands of miles ago, we tried just starting the truck with those first because we were pressed for time and they worked. I really didnt expect them to be that bad. They were black/brown and crusted over, some of the electrodes were worn down and there was just a huge build up of crap on them. Like i said, i was very surprised the truck even started. Anyway, i just put the other spark plugs in yesterday and only ran the truck for maybe 8-10 minutes. I has such a power loss that i dont dare take it out of the yard or ill have to tow it back. So i dont know what the new spark plugs look like yet.

As far as the temp sensor goes, the temp gauge works fine and the truck doesnt overheat at all.

I had thought that maybe the timing was off, because of the fact that we ended up having to take the distributor out to get to a bolt that we forgot (even though i didnt want to take the distributor out because i knew it can be a pain to get it back in just right). Also the hard starting and it has a little bit of hesitation/sputtering when i rev it while its idleing.

If it were the air/fuel ratio, that could be the direct result of a bad o2 sensor.

So i guess checking the timing and maybe replacing the o2 sensor should give me a better lead.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the other problem i have is my factory stereo just stopped working. Right after i fixed the burned wires on the o2 sensor. It just started acting up and doing what it wanted. The buttons to change the station wouldnt work, but they would turn the radio on and off. So i dont know if maybe that electrical problem could be isolated in the radio or throughout the truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts