Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think that the LED J shape light and fog light are too dim? Especially the fog, it's more accent light than fog to me. Wondering is there a mod to make them brighter. Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fog lights are meant to give a wide and short light pattern. You won't see much of the light sitting inside the car other than some off the sides of the car. Some of the OEM fogs are used as supplementary lighting for cornering, but most of them are really good for fashion. I am not aware of any simple upgrade, like a light bulb, to give any meaningful additional lighting. If you need to add real lights, may look for something made by a good auto lighting company like Hella. They likely don’t make one to fit the Corolla, you may have to do some custom fitting. For example: Micro DE/DE XENON | HELLA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fog lights are meant to give a wide and short light pattern. You won't see much of the light sitting inside the car other than some off the sides of the car. Some of the OEM fogs are used as supplementary lighting for cornering, but most of them are really good for fashion. I am not aware of any simple upgrade, like a light bulb, to give any meaningful additional lighting. If you need to add real lights, may look for something made by a good auto lighting company like Hella. They likely don’t make one to fit the Corolla, you may have to do some custom fitting. For example: Micro DE/DE XENON | HELLA
But the SE fog and triple J lights are so dim, that they barely produce any light outputs. Guess I was expecting DLR LED kind of brightness.

·
Registered
154 Posts

They are very dim compared to my RC

·
Registered
155 Posts
You're talking about the SE sedan right? The SE and XSE doesn't have fog lights, it has LED accent lighting in the bumpers. The J LEDs are also the parking lights, not the DRL. The DRL is the low beam projector.

In the rest of the world the J LEDs are the DRLs and I wish thats what we had. I think for 2021 they may have changed the bumper and J LEDs to the DRLs but I can't confirm. So this makes me think that the J LEDs are very much capable of being much brighter, but the body ECU has a PWM circuit for it and are limiting the brightness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're talking about the SE sedan right? The SE and XSE doesn't have fog lights, it has LED accent lighting in the bumpers. The J LEDs are also the parking lights, not the DRL. The DRL is the low beam projector.

In the rest of the world the J LEDs are the DRLs and I wish thats what we had. I think for 2021 they may have changed the bumper and J LEDs to the DRLs but I can't confirm. So this makes me think that the J LEDs are very much capable of being much brighter, but the body ECU has a PWM circuit for it and are limiting the brightness.
You're right, I just checked the spec sheet for the SE sedan, they called the triple J clearance lights, and did not mentioned about fog lights. The position of the light bar on the bumper, made me think that's the fog light. Guess will consider replacing that strip with something brighter in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts