Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to confirm before I jump to the drastic plan B option that there is no way to add an auxiliary input to the JBL AD6900 head unit that doesn't involve disasembly and soldering work inside the head unit....thanks

·
Registered
2001 Avalon XLS w/ JBL Audio 215K mi.
9 Posts
Well regarded, this Bluetooth adapter is the path I plan to take with mine.

The other way is to get this cassette adapter and modify it by taking out an internal gear to rid it of transport noise.

I've already pulled apart my AD6900 and found no pads on which to solder and Aux Input. CD Changer wouldn't eject so I pulled out the CDs and tossed it.

I'd like to get the Kenwood DMX906S...

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
202 Posts
I bought a bluetooth to FM converter & USB charger for about $20 on Amazon. Works great for the past 3 years. No soldering or wrenching required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
both of the amazon links you posted are dead which believe it or not doesn't really surprise me. though I had my doubts because i've used FM transmitter adapters before but it was a long time ago so after people recommended using the bluetooth FM so highly i figured the technology has to be better now then it was years ago when i tried the FM thing so after, not hours but days of reading and comparing every bluetooth i could find I finally bought a $30+ bluetooth transmitter through amazon prime. since it was prime i received it in 1 day, immediately setup and took off to go take care of my mom, my evaluation after the first 2 blocks, "this thing sounds like crap", my opinion 7 hours later after tweaking everything i could tweak, "compared to an auxiliary input, my $3 cassette adapter may sound horrible, but it sounds 10 times better then the FM transmitter". ironically, i went to post a review on the adapter the very next day and got the same error as the links you posted "sorry, Page not found". anyway i gave it a try, now it's on to plan B which i'm really not looking forward to given the cars age and the lack of still available aftermarket installation hardware, it's going to be a challenge.....

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
162 Posts
It’s really not a hard install to upgrade the audio system, I kept the jbl functionality. I did my own wiring, saved money, not hard to do. This was about 100 bucks off Crutchfield. I have Bluetooth audio, phone, Pandora, Spotify and USB port. I’ll post a daytime photo. I’d like to have the wood grain mounting-adapter, it still looks decent in black.

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
202 Posts
Funny observation/comparison; I added Bluetooth to my '09 Tacoma with a $200 Rostra Bluetooth Adapter. This is hardwired into the factory wiring, and works exactly like the OEM Bluetooth adapter for the '09 Tacoma. IMHO the Anker ROAV Bluetooth to FM adapter in my '01 Avalon has better sound quality than the Rostra, because it supports all five audio channels in the JBL amplifier. You can, and may need to change the FM frequency that the Bluetooth to FM adapter uses if you are getting interference.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS
64 Posts
Hey Frankie, quick question, did Crutchfield give you all the adapters/wiring stuff you needed or did you have to get anything else? I was thinking of getting your radio from them and keep my jbl functionality (sub/speakers). How's the sound?

When my cassette player worked the adapter that I had was really good! But the cassette went and I tried a few FM transmitters which all sounded like garbage. Usually the volume was very low and it hissed, popped and fizzed like crazy.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
162 Posts
Crutchfield supplies everything you will need, I used the supplied wiring adapter for my car. The speaker inputs are wired into the radios rca pre-amp outputs. The antenna uses only 1 of the 2 antenna leads on the cars harness. My sound quality is excellent, if you’ve wired a car stereo before this is very simple, you could opt for Crutchfield to set up the wiring adapter for you if you have no wiring ability, it’s really not bad to do. There was a few people who had problems with the radio I bought but many said they had it in the wrong mode upon set up, you’ll see comment about it in the reviews of the unit on Crutchfield and Amazon. They complained they were in network mode rather than standard mode, when they re-performed initial setup all was well. Like I said I’d like the wood grain colored mounting adapter but it’s still a clean looking install. I do t work for Crutchfield or Amazon, I’m just relating my experience, overall I’m very pleased, I did the upgrade based on another TN member describing his upgrade experience as well. I ended up refoaming my jbl subwoofer as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm currently using a bluetooth to FM adapter to solve my problem connecting to the JBL system. It is pure Chinesium but the audio quality is fine. I'm even able to take phone calls that way. The exact one I ordered isn't currently available, but I ordered a low cost one. Only $13 US. The description was "VicTsing Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Car, Wireless Bluetooth Radio Transmitter Adapter Car Kit with Hand-Free Calling and 1.44” LCD Display, Music Player Support TF Card USB Flash Drive AUX Input/Out." I purchased it 10/19.

Edit: Found it in stock under a different label. Prime eligible for $15. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_mtf_aps_sr_pg3_4?ie=UTF8&adId=A09994962S5TUXQ2HC3WI&url=/Nulaxy-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Handsfree-Voltmeter/dp/B01IT5QGLE/ref=sr_1_120_sspa?crid=770ZAZFT8GOR&keywords=bluetooth+fm+transmitter&qid=1582446288&sprefix=bluetooth+fm+trans%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-120-spons&psc=1&qualifier=1582446288&id=6021734168686653&widgetName=sp_mtf

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
162 Posts
If someone wants my old fm transmitter/Bluetooth adapter, they can have it free. My Avalon has terrible reception through the device, pickup in Florida or pay the shipping. It worked modestly ok in my 2007 Tacoma, still had static and buzzing. The audio upgrade is worth it in my opinion. Of course it’s personal preference, I’m just saying it’s worthless to me so you can have it, gratis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just out this in my 2000 Avalon (with AD6900) this week. Also bought a small bluetooth recv that can plug into it on ebay.

gromaudio.com/store/aux1_adapters/all/toyota-avalon-2000-aux-cable-input-car-stereo-kit.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts