Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much says it all. Beginning the process of adding some bass to the base audio system of my Camry. Went with the Bass hub stadium by JBL because I wanted to be able to choose an amp, whereas the bass hub pro is a powered unit (less power). Also, with two kids I need all my trunk space for strollers and diaper bags. The bass hub fits in your spare tire well and does not take up ANY trunk space. I’ll also be documenting this install on my YouTube channel, if following by video is more your thing feel free to check it out. Video should be up by the end of the week
https://youtube.com/c/SEsGarage.
The Bass Hub Stadium is a 4 ohm dual voice coil subwoofer that is capable of 600 Watts RMS and 1200 Peak. This is important for amp selection because the sub can be wired at 2 ohms, so you'll need an amp that is 2 ohm stable. With this in mind we went with the Alpine S-A60M, which is good for 600 Watts RMS @ 2ohms, and should complement the sub nicely.
Material property Font Gadget Electronic device Electric blue

The next thing you're going to want to source is a quality active Line-out converter. This will convert the high level output from the factory head unit to a low voltage input that the amp can use, along with restore the low frequencies that the factory amp pulls out of the signal to protect the factory speakers. We went with the AudioControl LC2i with AcuBass to restore the bass to our signal. We also went with a 4 Gauge amp install kit to provide plenty of power to the amp.
Gadget Font Audio equipment Electric blue Electronic device

With that, we're going to need to find an easily accessible spot to tap into the left and right channel. Sure i could go right behind the radio, but i wanted to avoid tearing my dash apart, so I've decided to tap into the rear speakers, at the rear door connectors behind the B pillars. pins 13 and 25 respectably of connectors PR1 and QR1. I will update with more photos once I pull the pillar covers off and begin this part of the install.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Schematic
Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Material property Engineering

In order for the Bass Hub to fit, you will need to flip your spare tire upside down, Iwent ahead and added some felt to the Rim where it meets the metal of the spare tire well, along with file some of the sound deadening material to prevent the spare from rocking in the well.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Black-and-white

With that done, you're ready to mount the Bass Hub into the tire, and tighten it down with the supplied hold down.
Wheel Circle Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim

The next thing you're going to have to do is modify the Styrofoam piece that holds your jack, and other spare tire tools. I simply cut the center of it out where it was hitting the bass hub and preventing it from sitting flush. I still have some slight adjustments to make, but it'll do for now
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk

Wheel White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

This is as far as I got today, in the next few days we will begin running the power wire from the battery to the amp, along with tapping into the speaker wires at the above-mentioned location.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Got the trunk torn down today to try and mock up a few things, and figure out what is going to work best where. Originally I had tried to mount the amp on the passenger side of the trunk, depending on your amp this may work, but with mine the assist spring for the trunk made contact with the amp when closing the trunk

Because we have the TRD, the back seats do not fold down, and instead we have a small felt cover covering the unibody V brace behind it

What I opted to do was place a small piece of plywood behind the felt trim cover, and screw the amplifier into that as pictured

And installed in the car

Next step is to begin running my power wire from the battery to the trunk, and finding an appropriate grounding location. From there we’ll install the line out converter and begin wrapping this project up!

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ran our power wire today. Opted to use the grommet behind the driver side strut tower. This was a PAIN because I have larger hands but I made it happen by removing the battery to make some extra room

With that out of the way we ran the wire all the way down the driver side door sill and into the trunk.

And we got the amp wired up, grounded, and mounted our sound processor

I’m now pretty much at a stand still while we wait for our P&P harness from taco tunes to tap into the head unit for our signal. I opted to go this route instead of splicing into our factory wiring harness

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reserved

·
Registered
60 Posts
Will be interesting to see how your signal is. I added a powered sub to my 2022 SE with base audio system and the sub hardly puts out any sound. In fact I tried two different units, the current one I used in a previous application that worked great. I suspect the signal on the rear speakers is not full power/range as expected. I almost would say I hooked it up wrong but it does make some sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed that the rear speakers don't get much power at all.... unless that's just me.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I consulted with a good friend of mine who owns a car audio shop here in New Jersey (auto image and security) he’s the one that recommended I tap in to the rear speakers. I do have the wiring diagram for the front speakers and the way they are wired is the tweeters in the dash get the signal first and then it’s wired in series to the front door speakers. So if I were to use the front speakers if I wanted full range I would have to tap into it either behind the radio or at the tweeters themselves. I suspect I could easily tap into them at the front door connectors to receive the filtered signal for just the bottom end sound. I’m going to go with the rear first as it’s easiest to get to if I’m unhappy with the sound I will definitely change to the front channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I consulted with a good friend of mine who owns a car audio shop here in New Jersey (auto image and security) he’s the one that recommended I tap in to the rear speakers. I do have the wiring diagram for the front speakers and the way they are wired is the tweeters in the dash get the signal first and then it’s wired in series to the front door speakers. So if I were to use the front speakers if I wanted full range I would have to tap into it either behind the radio or at the tweeters themselves. I suspect I could easily tap into them at the front door connectors to receive the filtered signal for just the bottom end sound. I’m going to go with the rear first as it’s easiest to get to if I’m unhappy with the sound I will definitely change to the front channel

The diagram you show above has the front two speakers wired in parallel. You will want to use that front signal as the rear speakers are not getting a full frequency range signal. It's been discussed here in the past.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Post updated above. Got the amp mocked up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts