Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
clueless
07 tacoma double cab
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I currently have the non JBL 6 disc system and really want to upgrade it. I'm starting with the speakers and will eventually get an amp and headunit probably no sub, but I wanted to know people's thoughts on these JBL speakers. My question was what's the deal with the ohm rating. Will they sound alright with the stock headunit w/o an amp, ect for the time being? Most speakers I've seen are 4 ohms, but these are 2 ohms, and I did some research and learned that lower ohms require more power or work from your headunit possibly resulting in overheating and frying basically. So will these be ok or do I need to look at something else? Also for the back (6.5's) should I stick with a speaker that is similar to the front, specification wise? I will probably get an amp (which i'm clueless about) in the future and want to get a nav headunit (pretty set on the Eclipse AVN6600). Anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO937&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=MEL&ser=GTS

·
Registered
183 Posts
Go with the AVN6600, had mine in about 2 weeks and diggin it. You have already got the spots up front, why not stick with a component set (seperate 6 1/2 mid and tweeter)? They will provide much better sound than any 6x9. I still have the stock speakers, which sound Way better with the new H/U, but will be getting some components (probably Pioneer TS-C720PRS) and an amp (maybe alpine) in the near futue. Not sure about the ohm rating but most h/u don't have enough power to run a Good set of speakers (def. no where near enough for a 100w RMS speaker). I say if you can't get it all at once (like me) get the h/u first, enjoy that, then get the speakers and amp together for the next round being sure you get stuff that will work well together, usually picking speakers then an amp that will go well with them (power wise).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts