Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2021 Camry V6 XSE with the JBL premium sound system .
The sound is so bad i would rather not listen to music.
Question is what can be done to make this system sound great?
Thanks

·
I sell trucks!!!!
2021 Camry TRD
53 Posts
What do you not like about it? Sounding bad is kind of a broad statement without specifics.

I have the JBL in my ‘21 TRD, and find it to be a pretty good quality stereo for a factory upgrade. I am a bit of an audio snob and have it set to sound good even at high volume (level 48 for when I want to go deaf lol)

Reactions: Motorman601

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think it's alright for low to medium volume after you mess with the settings. Classic rock guy here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sound is very flat. the highs are not clear and crisp . The bass is week and muddy . My old BMW 2005 5 series was worlds ahead in sound quality.
Is there any way to improve it? perhaps better speakers? I like the car except for the "premium" sound system

·
I sell trucks!!!!
2021 Camry TRD
53 Posts
What source are you using when you say the sound is flat? USB, radio, satellite, Bluetooth? I assume you’ve played with sound settings, but make sure the balance/fader is centered and turn off auto sound leveling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with OP. The soft dome tweeters do not deliver on the high notes. The dash speakers project a very harsh, flat sound. The full range speakers on the door have bad placement for full range projection and the subwoofer on the rear deck only delivers enough vibration to cause an awful rattling sound. The head unit does not provide enough to be able to tune (no EQ). Very sad for a premium, expensive upgrade.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unfortunately, the JBL is so integrated with the vehicle that upgrade options are very expensive. For me, I've chosen to live with it. I'll be much more careful on the next vehicle I buy. The Toyota fanboys will always argue that this is acceptable in a $35k car, but those of us who have had experience with other vehicles know better. I still like my car and am glad I chose the Camry, but the JBL has been a sticking point of disappointment for me and maybe next time I'll chose another brand.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
3,688 Posts
Maybe the toyota fanboys are more concerned about reliability than the audio performance? What about changing out the speakers? I remember reading some posts here saying that changing out the speakers did help.

I don't expect the audio system to be great in any car. If you want a good audio system to your liking, to your preference, you'll have to change it out to another system. We have folks here that did that, some with JBL, others without. Changing out the audio system will cost you, sure, but that's just how it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m going to take the car to Al & Eds today after work to see if they can install Focal speakers in it . I will keep you guys posted .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: I’ve decided to sell the car. The crappy stereo ruined it for me. I’m going to get a Lexus RC 350 with the mark levinson stereo. I didn’t want to cut up a brand new car to try and fix the horrible sound system.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I upgraded my factory non-JBL with a DSP, new front dash/door speakers, and a powered sub under the driver's seat. Upgrading the JBL shouldn't be much different other than the factory amp.

Update: I’ve decided to sell the car. The crappy stereo ruined it for me. I’m going to get a Lexus RC 350 with the mark levinson stereo. I didn’t want to cut up a brand new car to try and fix the horrible sound system.
Oh yes, I'm sure it's just the Camry stereo that's pushing you into a $50K sports coupe. :)

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE 2.5L A25A-FKS
1,411 Posts
You will be disappointed with the Mark Levinson. I've had it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
With the hit you take on depreciation and the extra cost for that more expensive car, you could have the absolute best audio, and have money left over for many other improvements. But yes, Toyota should not be so cheap if they want to stay on top.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I came to my 2020 Camry SE from a newer Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition... top of the line truck with JBL audio. The sound was tinny and quiet... just trash. And yes, it's so integrated into the vehicle that it's not a simple amp and speaker upgrade. You need a line output converter and other crap to get a usable signal to an amp. Totally unacceptable in a $70k CDN vehicle. (I did not pay that thankfully.)

The base sound system in my Camry SE is not perfect, but at least it's a base model. I'm sure I'll snap at some point and install a 5 channel amp and some Morel or Kenwood speakers. But if my 1992 Oldsmobile Delta 88 could have a pounding factory system with surprising clarity, why can't it be done in 2020/21??

I will admit that I'm pickier than most when it comes to audio. But Toyota JBL systems are just junk.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I came to my 2020 Camry SE from a newer Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition... top of the line truck with JBL audio. The sound was tinny and quiet... just trash. And yes, it's so integrated into the vehicle that it's not a simple amp and speaker upgrade. You need a line output converter and other crap to get a usable signal to an amp. Totally unacceptable in a $70 CDN vehicle. (I did not pay that thankfully.)

The base sound system in my Camry SE is not perfect, but at least it's a base model. I'm sure I'll snap at some point and install a 5 channel amp and some Morel or Kenwood speakers. But if my 1992 Oldsmobile Delta 88 could have a pounding factory system with surprising clarity, why can't it be done in 2020/21??

I will admit that I'm pickier than most when it comes to audio. But Toyota JBL systems are just junk.
With the base audio package in the SE, you need a LOC actually. Preferably a good one. Wavtech makes a good one for $80. If you have the JBL, you can actually get a something Pac Audio sells for premium audio system integration called their AmpPRO. I don't really get what it does but all I know is some YouTuber said it's what you need to get for premium sound systems if you want higher quality audio.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts