Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Board. I just recently sold my 2004 Ford F-150 and bought a new 2007 Toyota Tacoma Sport in Super White. So far, I am very pleased except for one thing, the JBL system. :disappoin

Have you guys had good luck with the JBL system and subwoofer. My subwoofer just rattles and makes noise if the song has any kind of bass to it. I brought it in to my dealer and they said that's just the way they are. Overall, very disappointed about that. :disappoin

How many inch woofer are in these? I'm thinking that I'm going to have to take that out and so something different. I just haven't had time to go in and investigate it.

If you guys could let me know your comments on the JBL system and what you've done to improve it, I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will have my tacoma with the JBL stereo by the end of this week or early next week, but in the meantime I just dug up a OEM stereo review. They comment on the performance of the subwoofer...perhaps this will help. No mention of rattles...just that is sounds "muddy."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=104774/pageId=62756

Perhaps if the subwoofer is the only weak link, replacing it with a new aftermarket might be an easy fix.

CMC07Tacoma said:
I'm new to the Board. I just recently sold my 2004 Ford F-150 and bought a new 2007 Toyota Tacoma Sport in Super White. So far, I am very pleased except for one thing, the JBL system. :disappoin

Have you guys had good luck with the JBL system and subwoofer. My subwoofer just rattles and makes noise if the song has any kind of bass to it. I brought it in to my dealer and they said that's just the way they are. Overall, very disappointed about that. :disappoin

How many inch woofer are in these? I'm thinking that I'm going to have to take that out and so something different. I just haven't had time to go in and investigate it.

If you guys could let me know your comments on the JBL system and what you've done to improve it, I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's impossible to know exactly what you're describing without actually hearing it in person, but it sounds like something is wrong. I've cranked my bass up pretty far without getting any kind of rattling sound. Especially with the new HU, I can turn it up really far without too much distortion. Granted, it's not the greatest sub, and I plan on changing it out one of these days, but I don't think what you're describing is normal.

A few questions:

1. What kind of music are you listening to and how high do you have the volume?
2. Have you checked for anything loose in the storage under/behind the rear seats?
3. Did you or the dealer check for loose screws or pieces holding in the sub and amp or in their general area?

Btw, it's an 8 inch sub.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i found that the JBL system sounded best with the bass at 0-2, mids at 3 and treb at 4 with the volume at 30-33. anything above those settings and there would be distortion coming from the sub. the JBL amp cuts power to the sub to prevent it from blowing, which is probably what you're experiencing. if you search under "jbl sub", you'll find tons of info...

·
double dipping
68 Posts
I dont hear any rattling. I am actually pretty satisfied with it considering its a stock sub. I put on ying yang twins, salt shaker and it sounds decent.

·
Just duct tape it!
612 Posts
can someone post a picture of where the sub is in the JBL equipped tacos?

Edit: Nevermind I found a picture. So only DCs can come with the JBL system?

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
06Sport said:
can someone post a picture of where the sub is in the JBL equipped tacos?
Dont have a pic, but its behind the rear seat in the double cabs.

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I still think there's a problem with this sub but I'm not going to be able to get my dealer to do anything about it. Actually, I would prefer to just swap it out and put an aftermarket one in and power it with my own amp.

Has anyone taken the factory sub out and replaced it with an aftermarket sub and amp without changing their deck out? If so, how did you go about it?

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
CMC07Tacoma said:
Thanks for the input. I still think there's a problem with this sub but I'm not going to be able to get my dealer to do anything about it. Actually, I would prefer to just swap it out and put an aftermarket one in and power it with my own amp.

Has anyone taken the factory sub out and replaced it with an aftermarket sub and amp without changing their deck out? If so, how did you go about it?
Here is a thread about one guy that swapped his out ... hope it helps http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t161803.html

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info so far guys. If I had to do it over again, I would not have went with the JBL system and just put an aftermarket one in. Hell, I already have an amp and 10" Polk Audio Momo subwoofer. I might be able to something with those two. I guess hind sight is always 20/20....right!!!

Let me ask this next. Do you think you could completely take out that factory sub and enclosure and add a custom box (I forget the name but the one company that makes custom boxes for tacomas that everyone talks about on here...is it Scoshe???) with out adding too much in the way of issues? Then again, I suppose you can do anything if you're willing to pay for it!

Anyways, thanks so far for the responses guys. If any of you still have some suggestions for me.....please let me know!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts