Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out if an 08 corolla has jbl system or not. It has the tweeters at the pillar near the side mirrors. But it is a single cd player and I dont see JBL anywhere (I thought it said that on the radio if it was?). This is for a head unit in my ex's car, sort of a birthday gift from our son. I have both wire harnesses, but would like to do the soldering to the unit before I head over there to do the install.

·
Registered
688 Posts
No, that is not the JBL system. Pretty sure the JBL system had a multi-disk player. The stock head unit is pretty lame. The speakers sound much better with a good head unit.

As far as I now all the XRS, S & LE models have separate tweeters in the front. Not sure about the CE?

·
Registered
3 Posts
CE doesn’t have speakers in the pillar and I’m pretty sure they weren’t JBL. i had JL audio speakers put in, and the techs showed me the speakers they removed; they were these cardboard looking cone things. Head unit was a single CD unit and didn’t have the yellow text like that one did, although it looked very similar layout and button-style wise.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think the HU needs to specifically state JBL. My S has a-pillar tweeters and has the in-dash 6 cd changer but I don’t see JBL written anywhere on the HU itself or on the rear deck speakers

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,289 Posts
I never saw a subwoofer option on a corolla or matrix. Vibe had a subwoofer option for the monsoon kit, but the head unit was a Delphi unit.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So is there a subwoofer too? Or was the subwoofer and additional option above and beyond the jbl package.
No. Not in my corolla. It's just six speakers. The two pillar tweeters, front door's each have a speaker down low. And the two speakers on the back deck. There is an amp of some sort under the front passenger seat as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Might as well toss in to this thread couple of pictures of the passenger front seat JBL amp mounting (in an 05 Corolla LE with JBL sound system) for anyone interested.

Front passenger seat looking rear:

Front passenger seat rear looking forward:

Not a whole lot to see but figured someone may want to know what it looks like.

·
Registered
431 Posts
This has my curiosity piqued. Can one simply add the amp to a corolla with the “upgraded” but non JBL sound system?
Does it result in any better sound quality or am I better served heading to Crutchfield and replacing the stock speakers?

·
Registered
588 Posts
This has my curiosity piqued. Can one simply add the amp to a corolla with the “upgraded” but non JBL sound system?
Does it result in any better sound quality or am I better served heading to Crutchfield and replacing the stock speakers?
Don't know about the first question. But there have been a number of comments in past discussions that the stock Corolla speakers are not that bad ,and that they sound much better using a better head end unit than the stock one.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,289 Posts
No can do.

The jbl head unit has the connectors for the amp. You could do a vibe head unit which will have the amp connection. I don't know if matrix is setup the same way.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,289 Posts
From my experience, the pioneer speakers are good enough as is. You need a better head unit and then add an amp to the system.

The jbl system includes the speakers and amp. Head unit is just labeled JBL on the front and has that amp connector.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.